Author Topic: J. C. Day barrel  (Read 4120 times)

Offline PPatch

J. C. Day barrel
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:41:09 AM »
I found a barrel in a North Georgia antique shop today and would like to know if anyone might know anything given the information that follows. .

It was stamped "J. C. Day Old 76" on the bottom.

31 inches long to the front shoulder of the patent breech. Total length with breech 32 15/16Th inch.

Octagon to round. Octagon probably a foot long before transition.

Tapered 2 3/8Th's across the rear flat to 1 1/8Th at the muzzle.

Ramp under barrel shows where two RR thimbles once resided.

Low setting ramp style open " V" notch leaf site about four inches long (plain, business like), attached with a screw. Very low dovetailed front sight with silver blade on a steel base. In the attached photographs the barrel looks blued, it was not - browned. Or I should say it was brown but showed sign of once being polished and could have lived "in the white."

Approx  .50 caliber, could be 46-48.

Sorry for the less than great photographs, My cell phone at its best.

dave
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:14:23 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: J. C. Day barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
I seen a small rifle a year ago that was signed on the barrel Jesse Day. I looked him up and he was an Ohio maker. He fought for the Union and was killed near  the end of the war. I don't know if yours is the same guy. But I got on Fold3 and found some of his records. Even found his widow's letter applying for a pension, then losing his pension after marrying another man. But regaining her pension, after writing a letter of her sad situiation. If I remember right the little rifle had a small trigger guard. I remember it had a very good signature, signed in script.. I think he died from wounds from a cannon shot. He may have been one of the last casualties of the Civil War.
Like I say may not be the same Day. Seems like there was a Day or two down South.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:20:26 PM by Avlrc »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
Thank you Avirc;

Likely not the same fellow. This barrel name  and "Old 76" was stamped neatly, not script. I am wondering if the Old 76 means it was made around the 1876 Centennial. I can't find any reference to a J. C. Day gun maker, gunsmith, barrel maker etc., on the web or ALR.

Just wondering anyway, guy wanted $175 for it - nope. It could be made a shooter if the bore were redone or lined. In any case it would make a great club - heavy sucker.

dave

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:12 AM »
Ok, In sellers there is a James Day , Louisville Kentucky 1843-1890, John Day Central City Colorado,1870-1874. And a Joseph C. Day, Hackettstown , New Jersey, 1849-1865, Even had Patents on a couple Breech Loading Guns. Possibly the latter!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:40:08 PM by Avlrc »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:41:24 AM »
Joseph C. Day, only 16 when he died the year the Civil War ended. And he held "...several patents!" -  Impressive. I didn't have a grown-up synapse in my brain at that age. My sister is into family genealogy research so I will ask her to see if she can obtain any further information on Joseph.

Thank you Sir! Good find.

dave

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:51:20 AM »
Those dates  are not the dates he was born or  died. They can be the dates Sellers found this person active. Sellers is kind of confusing like that.. I found the patents that Joseph C Day had. I would guess he was born in about 1830 more or less and probably died in the late 1800's. You are welcome.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nlN7Hgh7XUYC&pg=PA387&lpg=PA387&dq=joseph+c+day+patent+14095+january+1856&source=bl&ots=hEVNjOgAxp&sig=4FFyo5L58sk4x8tVauidnk2ywnU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=J59PUfziLKiI0QGGkoHYDw&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=joseph%20c%20day%20patent%2014095%20january%201856&f=false
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:00:06 AM by Avlrc »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:23 AM »
Avirc;

Once again thank you. I will inform you if and when my sister is able to gain anything on our buddy Joseph.

dave

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
Just as you opinioned Mr. Day was born near 1830 and died in the late 1800’s.  Other than the following rather sparse information found on Ancestry.com there is not much else on him. It is interesting that his occupation is listed as “Inventor” which, of course, keys in with the patent records you found.

Born: About 1826-1828, Belvidere, Warren County, New Jersey, USA.

Died: 5 August, 1880, Age approximately 52-54. Buried in Union Cemetery - Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey, USA.

Never married, no record of military service.

Grave marker: http://image1.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2008/30/24298400_120183083195.jpg

Looks like a modern stone - a Mr. Michael Holmes took the photograph, he seems to have an avocation of photographing grave markers for other people doing ancestor research, so, no relation to Joseph Day and I could not find a record of anyone in contact with Mr. Holmes regarding why the photograph was taken.

If this is our guy, and quite likely it is, he left not much of a trail.

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

dave
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:18:40 PM by PPatch »

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »
Yeah, he never left very good tracks. But as you say, he may not even be your man. Happy Tracking!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
True, this one might be another J C Day who lived in NJ. There were two other Day's on Ancestry but neither on record as having lived in NJ or as gun makers.

I believe I will leave off the search as I have no interest in purchasing the barrel. If anyone reading this thread is interested I believe it could be had for $100 or a little under. I have contact information.

Avirc you have been very helpful and I appreciate your response and insight - the search was interesting and fun.

Once again: Thank You.

dave