Author Topic: mini kentucky  (Read 4960 times)

der mike

mini kentucky
« on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »

I just think this is way cool,,,,,,,,,,,,would this be legal to build in Calif.? It has a ten in. barrel and is 25 in. total length

razor62

Re: mini kentucky
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

Kentucky "Short" rifle.  ;D

What's with that trigger?

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
Reminds me of the story of the Lewis and Clark expeditions cut down rifle, that they traded to one of their indian guides. They were quite surprised at the accuracy, from such a short barrel. Although they never really mention how short it was.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
I think it's legal anywhere.  ATF doesn't consider it to be a firearm do they?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »
What are California's regulations if any on muzzle loaders. The BATFE doesn't look at muzzleloaders
as far as is known.

Bob Roller

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
In California, muzzleloaders and cap and ball revolvers etc are not firearms UNLESS you are talking about consealed carry... Then they fall into the firearm category. I think the 18" barrel on a shotgun law might also effect muzzleloading smoothbores, but there seems to be some wiggle room because smoothbore perc and flintlock pistols are legal in CA.

Page 4 (electronic page 9):
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

Exceptions
The term firearm does not apply to a federally defined “antique” firearm for the purpose of dealer licensing requirements, sales or loans between private parties, or requirements to obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate pursuant to Penal Code sections 12070, 12071, subdivisions (b) (c) or (d) of 12072, or 12073. The term firearm does not apply to federally defined “curio” or “relic” long guns over 50 years old for the purpose of transfers between private parties. (Penal Code §§ 12001(e), 12078(t)(2).)

18 USC 921:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

(16) The term “antique firearm” means—

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
Galations 2:20

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:48:29 AM »
I believe that to be quite shorter than the infamous 'canoe gun', therefore I dub thee the 'kayak rifle'  ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:49:02 AM by Flint62Smoothie »
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:01:55 AM »
Perfect for "clearing" rooms,...except for the second shot. :o

keweenaw

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
In Michigan that would be considered a pistol and would need to be registered as such as the total length is under 30 inches.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:58:30 AM »
In Michigan that would be considered a pistol and would need to be registered as such as the total length is under 30 inches.
[/quote

Even for Black powder?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »
In Canada a handgun must be "designed to be fired by the action of one hand".  This one is obviously not.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.