Author Topic: Scored a neat barrel, what to do?  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Scored a neat barrel, what to do?
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
A buddy picked up a barrel last year at an auction, realized he'd never get to it, and sold it to me last night because I coveted it.   :D  48" Rayl, .36, swamped, thing is a whip switch.  Haven't miked it, but it can't be a 1/2" at the waist.  Heck, I don't think it's a half inch at the muzzle!

It's got a thin lollipop tang, so I know that leads to a southern gun, but may change the tang out and do a thin Bedford or Maryland gun.  Be a year or more before I get to it and need to pick up a stick of wood long enough for it, but would be interested in hearing other ideas...

And I scored it for $50!!!!!!!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Michael

Re: Scored a neat barrel, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:14:31 PM »
Gotta love a deal when they come along!! Congratulations!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »
A buddy picked up a barrel last year at an auction, realized he'd never get to it, and sold it to me last night because I coveted it.   :D  48" Rayl, .36, swamped, thing is a whip switch.  Haven't miked it, but it can't be a 1/2" at the waist.  Heck, I don't think it's a half inch at the muzzle!

It's got a thin lollipop tang, so I know that leads to a southern gun, but may change the tang out and do a thin Bedford or Maryland gun.  Be a year or more before I get to it and need to pick up a stick of wood long enough for it, but would be interested in hearing other ideas...

And I scored it for $50!!!!!!!

Does it not occur that the barrel walls might be a little thin if its 1/2" or less?
Like .06 or maybe less. This poses difficulties for the builder.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
Oh yeah, it's plenty thin.  I'll definitly be soldering on the lugs, that's for sure!  Just did a quick check with a ruler, looks thinner than it actually is, guessing because of the length.  13/16" at the breech, 5/8" at the waist, 6/8" at the muzzle. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

keweenaw

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »
Hardest thing about those thin barrels is to inlet them in the stock without having stresses when they are pinned.  Whole lot harder to do than a standard barrel.

Tom

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »
If it is a 36 cal. that doesn't sound all that thin. 5/8=.625   .625-.36=.265     .265/2=.1325 wall thickness at narrowest
36 cal. you wouldn't shoot much powder with anyway. I would solder the center lug but not the other two.
It's going to make one slender rifle though! $50 DANG

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:51:12 AM »
If it is a 36 cal. that doesn't sound all that thin. 5/8=.625   .625-.36=.265     .265/2=.1325 wall thickness at narrowest
36 cal. you wouldn't shoot much powder with anyway. I would solder the center lug but not the other two.
It's going to make one slender rifle though! $50 DANG

In the grooves its a 38 or larger. Groove diameter is the measurement that must be used.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:51:55 AM »
Hardest thing about those thin barrels is to inlet them in the stock without having stresses when they are pinned.  Whole lot harder to do than a standard barrel.

Tom
Or bending them during inletting.

Dan

Offline cmac

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Didn't consider that Dan. Thanks for the correction. That makes quite a difference!

Don Tripp

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »
If I had it, I'd make a Bean Rifle.

gregg454

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »
I'm maybe way out of line here On what I'm going to say??? At my skill set I would maybe glass bed the underside just to be sure of no stress??? very level bed for the barrel to set on?? Dan made very good point I never thought about..