Author Topic: Hide glue for wood repairs?  (Read 11271 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Hide glue for wood repairs?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 05:34:35 AM »
Good stuff, thanks!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 02:46:19 AM »
Jim,

How well hide glue fills gaps depends on how thick you mix it.  However,  a thick joint will not hold.   As someone else said, hide glue is brittle.   On my last restoration,  I had the situation you described where the forearm had shattered as it shrunk around a barrel that had been inlet too tight.   I had a terrible time getting that thing back together.   I could either fit the inside or the outside, but not both.  I chose the inside because it fit almost perfectly there.   You have seconds to get the piece in place before it sets and you have squeeze out that you can't get before it hardens.   This filled the gaps on the outside.   I used De-Glue Goo to clean off the excess.   I also used a linen patch on the inside of the barrel channel to stabilize the whole thing a bit more.   

Since restoration work is supposed to be reversible,  you really don't have too many choices other than hide or fish glue.   You use epoxy or cyanoacrylate on guns that are in service, but I don't believe it is appropriate on antique guns unless there is no other way to make the repair.   Of course, many times, it is the lesser of two evils that you must choose, particularly since many owners want a gun that looks new or is functional.

The reversibility of hide glue is also useful in situations like I described above where it is difficult put everything back together correctly.   I put that forearm together and took it back apart at least three times before I was satisfied with the job.    Only the wax was removed in the process.   You could tell it has been repaired but it was a good bit neater job than I had started with where white glue and superglue where used to excess in an attempt to hold the thing together in the past.    It took a very long time to get all that old glue off without damaging the finish.  I used a lot of tooth picks and q-tips. :D

Mark

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
 You have seconds to get the piece in place before it sets and you have squeeze out that you can't get before it hardens.
Mark

I am thinking fish glue might be a more satisfactory adhesive in this situation.  It has the same reversability as hide glue, but also has a much longer open time, which should allow sufficient time for positioning/repositioning and cleanup.  Although I am not certain, I think the joint strengths of the two are about equal.

https://www.norlandprod.com/fishgel/hightack.html

Laurie

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
Regarding water resistance of hide glues- Native Americans used hide and hoof-based glues extensively in combination with sinew in hafting all sorts of tools and for making bows, fletching arrows, attaching points to arrows, etc.  At the same time there are period accounts that they would not fight in the rain!  I also make a few primitive, self bows now and again and have used sinew and hide glue in combination in strengthening areas of bows and fletching arrows.  So far, so good, but I do keep them dry.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?page_id=1964#!/~/product/category=1576107&id=6514103

Book specifically on hide glue, written by a guy who is, or at least was, working in a recreated 19th century joiner's shop and seems to specialize in furniture restoration. I haven't read it myself so I can't personally attest to its quality, but I thought I'd throw ity out there for y'all.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling