Author Topic: Fowler sight  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Fowler sight
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
A friend of mine wants me to put a small silver turtle sight on his 20 bore Fowler. The barrel is blued and I hate to mess it up with my propane torch. I guess I could stick a steel rod in the bore and heat the rod until I get the barrel to soft solder temperature but having never done this do I risk ruining the bluing? I am seriously considering one of the new high strength epoxies. Anyone have any experience using it?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
Re: Fowler sight
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »
Dennis: I have used various glues, J.B. weld etc. to hold sights on while shooting in barrels and all have worked fine until given a sharp rap with hammer or something solid. Don't know if this is helpful or not.
Charlie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »
The turtle sight has a .090" stud on the bottom that is to fit in a blind hole on the barrel. I would think this would help it adhere better. I think I will try it with a good epoxy. All I can lose is his silver sight ;D What does he expect for free!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »
I have had them fall off even with soft solder after a good rap on a tree branch or doorway into the shop! The most fun you will have Dennis will be to get that ole sight dead centered. Just ask me how I know bout this stuff! :o
Joel Hall

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
I've had 'em shift while soldering and had to start over but using epoxy it should be pretty straight forward to get it centered.

I put the barrel in a vice and ensure the top flat of the octagon section (or the tang if all round) is dead level.  I then take a flat file and put the spirit level on top of it and use it to strike a line on the round part where I want to put the sight.  Forget where I learned that trick.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »
JD-  I've used that trick a bunch - what a life saver for me - I forget where I learned it too... must have been here.  Another trick for holding a sight came from Don Getz IIRC - bend a thin section of brass or steel into a strip about 1/2" wide, 2" long, with a 1/2" elbow.  Clamp the long end onto the barrel and slide the sight underneath the elbow and it'll stay put while you solder. 

Dennis - I don't know how the gun was blued, but as an experiment I blued half of a scrap with perma-blue, then heated the middle until I saw the spectrum of colors from straw through dark blue appear on the polished side.  The blue was pretty much unaffected by the lower temp colors and changed darker with the higher heat colors.  Since you won't be going much above 400*, you might be able to get away with soldering.  Just food for thought.  I'd be more concerned about scrubbing away the leftover flux afterwards. 

No experience with the epoxies, but have had some industrial strength CA glue work miracles before. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:07:14 AM »
The solder of course isn't going to stick to the blue since it's an oxide.  You would have to clean it off carefully to bare metal where the solder will be.  The heated flux may attack the blue as well, though I'm not sure.