Author Topic: Cracked a Sand Cast Sideplate  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Bill-52

Cracked a Sand Cast Sideplate
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »
Was drilling a sand cast brass sideplate - the shaping, filing and preliminary finishing was done.  Rear lock bolt hole also drilled, no problem.  Annealed the sideplate (again) and started drilling the front lock bolt hole.  I felt the sideplate getting hot but as I was almost through (1/32nd to go?), I decided to push ahead.  Bad decision.  The sideplate cracked above and below the front bolt hole.

Other than bad decision making on my part, is there anything special about sand cast brass that I should have known?  I've only worked with wax cast and plate brass in the past.

Thanks,
Bill

billd

Re: Cracked a Sand Cast Sideplate
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:16:16 PM »
Sharp drills, don't force it, clamp your work securely.   Did it grab when it broke thru the hole?  If so, a small flat on the cutting edge of the drill helps.

Bill

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:56 AM »
If you can, run a little silver solder in the cracks to fix it right up.  ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

docone

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »
It brazes like any other brass.
Use a small torch, brazing rod that will match the colour of the piece, and use a solder board.
Borax makes the best flux, muriatic acid cleans the flux.
Should go well.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 02:37:55 AM »
I use silver braze that is brass colored for use on musical instruments - repairs are virtually invisible, and can even braze together Frankenstein triggerguards, buttplates, etc.  Got it here: http://www.votawtool.com/zcom.asp?pg=products&specific=johronp4  flow temp is a little higher than I'd prefer sometimes, but works very well.  I use staysilv brazing flux. 

Biggest trick I ever learned for drilling metal was to slow down the speed and apply constant steady pressure - if the piece is getting too hot then your drill bit might have been dull.  Good luck,
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

chubby

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:41:02 AM »
When drilling harder material you should have a lesser point on your drill & slower speed. When looking at your drill, less of a v for hard. And more of a v for softer metal. Based of off a standard 118 degrees. Chubby

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »
Sharpen drills special for brass and silver. This changes the cutting edge to a scraper instead of a chisel. Drill won't grab as you beak thru the other side of your work.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.