Author Topic: Olde Eynsford  (Read 16872 times)

Black Jack

Re: Olde Eynsford
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
When I switched back to GOEX from Swiss I confirmed that it isn't as easy as comparing group sizes at a given distance using the same charge, patch, and lube.  Different powders may require a smaller or larger charge, a thinner or thicker patch, a different lube, or more or less lube to give optimum performance.  As most of you certainly already know, when switching powders you need to basically work up the best load again with that powder or you're just comparing apples to oranges.

Agree. There are so many variables that affect the outcome and changing just one will affect the results. There is no easy answer, just thorough and controlled testing. Time will tell as more people try OE and report back on results.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »
While I don't believe most of what I read (or hear) regardless of the source, I do read enough to get a reasonable idea of trends.  As yet I've seen no velocity and/or accuracy comparisons of Goex (the standard measure) and old Eynsford.  It will take several thorough tests by objective shooters who neither outright condemn one powder or the other simply by considering foreign vs domestic.  Where's the beef!?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
Tried to compare groups yesterday; but was interrupted and my eyesight not helping soooo anybody out there compare??   Crony??

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »
While I don't believe most of what I read (or hear) regardless of the source, I do read enough to get a reasonable idea of trends.  As yet I've seen no velocity and/or accuracy comparisons of Goex (the standard measure) and old Eynsford.  It will take several thorough tests by objective shooters who neither outright condemn one powder or the other simply by considering foreign vs domestic.  Where's the beef!?

Hanshi, you're quite right.  I have no preconceived opinion of regular Goex vs Olde Enysford and quite frankly don't give a fig what other people think about them.  Until I do some thorough comparison myself I'm not making judgment one way or another.  I'm about to head out for a long overdue fishing and maybe hog hunting trip on the upper Suwannee River.  When I'm back around the middle of May I'll do some comparison.  When I do I'll post the results if anyone wants to see them.   
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:40 AM »
I note that the "fabled" Confederate gunpowder factory of great engineering, production, and quality was in AUGUSTA, Georgia, not that other place.

Lon

Offline LH

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
On another forum a member reported velocities comparable to Swiss when using Old E.  Then another shooter screened a batch and found a higher than normal component of "fines"  in the Old E.  suggesting perhaps those finer particles contributed to the higher velocity.  There was a copy of an email from Goex posted there too that stated that Old E. was nothing but black powder.  I ordered some the other day and like most folks,  I'll make up my own mind after I shoot it in my flintlock and my Sharps.  But its interesting to read all these guesses and opinions and its encouraging to me that Goex has introduced a different grade of powder. 

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 11:43:25 PM »
LH, it's interesting that someone reported velocities similar to Swiss.  Unfortunately the only Swiss I have left is 2fg and 4fg and the case of Olde Enysford that arrived today is all 3fg, so I can't make that comparison myself.  I'll have to do my comparison between 3fg Goex and 3fg Olde Enysford.  That'll have to wait until next month when I get back from my fishing and hog hunting trip on the upper Suwannee River.
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 05:23:12 AM »
I ordered 5 lbs. today of OE 3F. I will also post my results.

Got to see what all the hoopla is about.   ;D
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »

Actually many folks find the good ol goex in 3f hard to come by (and buy) so the Olde Eynsford is 2nd string stuff til found to be eligible for first team use.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »
Totally agree with Roger. Can't be beat. Bob

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »

Actually many folks find the good ol goex in 3f hard to come by (and buy) so the Olde Eynsford is 2nd string stuff til found to be eligible for first team use.
I still have both 2F and 3F Goex and have had good results over the years.
This just gives me a "reason" to shoot more.  ;D
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline LH

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
I got my Old E a couple of days ago and shot some fffg yesterday in my .40 cal flintlock.  Didn't have much time,  but after about 25 or 30 shots,  my initial impression is that it seems to be comparable in power to regular Goex but with quite a bit less fouling.  Shooting offhand at 100,  so my accuracy results are mostly guessing,  but I never detected anything offkey.  All my shots seemed to be right where the sights were pointed in other words.  No elevation difference between Old E and regular Goex shooting 60gr of each.  The Old E actually "sounded"  a little softer,  but that could be some  kind of difference in ignition characteristics or who knows what.  Significant but meaningless is where that info goes.   I'll get around to shooting some in the Sharps cartridge gun soon.  I've got some 1.5f too.   First impression:   I like it but I'm not sure I want to spend $5 more dollars a pound for shooting in my roundball guns. 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »
After 5 or six 'test targets at 55 yds rest (with an old shooting eye)  results were (with 2 different rifles) the Goex shot a twice as tight a group than did the Olde Eynsford very much to my surprise!  Targets will be posted here in a few days.  These tests were not biased one way or the other and involved usually 8 shots with each powder changing nothing but the powder brand.  Hate to admit it but sorry that I 'laid in' the supply of the Eynsford that I did. :-[   Someone change my mind please!

My disclaimer is that these tests over several different days were with old eyes carrying cataracts and results may vary and your tests may show mine to be off the mark.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:35:21 PM by Roger Fisher »

dagner

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 06:09:04 AM »
 the friendship benchrest /chunk /and offfhand  shooters benching their guns for accuracy loads plus the  single shot black powder cart men will be shooting the $#@* out of it now that it is avalable.wont be long at all till they start reporting in.

Offline LH

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »
Don't get all dejected Rodger,   I tend to not start believing accuracy results in a roundball gun til I've seen it happen about three or four times on different days.   It never has been easy to evaluate accuracy in a roundball gun for me.  I get results sometimes that make me want to jump to some conclusion,  but the next time I run the same test,  I might get opposite results.  When I tried the old "varying patch lube concentration" test to determine best amount of cutting oil to use,  I got different results every time out.  I was mistaking "best" group for normal dispersion.  When I shot enough shots,  I found that all the groups with different amounts of lube were the same size.   A large sample size is required to truly determine the accuracy level of any load combo using patched round balls and black powder.  The difference might not be what it looks like from your first outing.  Although it would appear convincing at this point wouldn't it?   Don't give up onit yet.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
the friendship benchrest /chunk /and offfhand  shooters benching their guns for accuracy loads plus the  single shot black powder cart men will be shooting the $#@* out of it now that it is avalable.wont be long at all till they start reporting in.
And wait and watch we will.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
Don't get all dejected Rodger,   I tend to not start believing accuracy results in a roundball gun til I've seen it happen about three or four times on different days.   It never has been easy to evaluate accuracy in a roundball gun for me.  I get results sometimes that make me want to jump to some conclusion,  but the next time I run the same test,  I might get opposite results.  When I tried the old "varying patch lube concentration" test to determine best amount of cutting oil to use,  I got different results every time out.  I was mistaking "best" group for normal dispersion.  When I shot enough shots,  I found that all the groups with different amounts of lube were the same size.   A large sample size is required to truly determine the accuracy level of any load combo using patched round balls and black powder.  The difference might not be what it looks like from your first outing.  Although it would appear convincing at this point wouldn't it?   Don't give up onit yet.
I won't... However, I do trust my tests I wish I did not!

jamesthomas

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
 I believe that if you change powders it's like starting over. You might have to adjust your patch lube or patch material also to get better groups. Just my 2 cents worth. If anything it will give you an excuse to go shoot more, which ain't a bad thing afterall. ;D ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »
I believe that if you change powders it's like starting over. You might have to adjust your patch lube or patch material also to get better groups. Just my 2 cents worth. If anything it will give you an excuse to go shoot more, which ain't a bad thing afterall. ;D ;D
Exactly.
Changes in powder charge weight at the very least.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine