Author Topic: forearm inlays  (Read 2074 times)

Offline hortonstn

forearm inlays
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »
haveing run my ramrod drill out the bottom of the forestock about an inch from the breech plug i need some ideas, i have inletted a wooden patch into the stock but am afraid it will be seen, i don't want nothing gaudy
but i'm thinking,  of how to hide it, the side of it runs under the trigger guard i'd appreciate your ideas you.ve never failed me before. i know a picture would be nice but i am not an computer pro
paul
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:49:29 AM by hortonstn »

Offline Long Ears

Re: forearm inlays
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:22:25 AM »
So is a brass belly plate gaudy? I have seen several pictures of originals that used this solution for the same problem.   Bob

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:42:44 AM »

The above is a photo of a Metzger rifle in for restoration.  As you can see you are not the first to encounter this problem.  I find this an attractive solution to a run out just in front of the triggerguard---no need for a full wear plate.

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

razor62

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:21:30 AM »

The above is a photo of a Metzger rifle in for restoration.  As you can see you are not the first to encounter this problem.  I find this an attractive solution to a run out just in front of the triggerguard---no need for a full wear plate.

Ron

What a tasteful solution to an otherwise disastrous situation. It really makes me feel validated when I see that even the original artists understood the need for camouflage to salvage hours of work and precious materials. We've all seen those oversize brass plates that leave no doubt as to why they were incorporated into an original build. These are in my opinion, big, brass band aids and detract from the otherwise tasteful execution of a fine piece.
Thanks for posting that Lucky.  BTW those tool handles in the background are screaming at me to ask for some details.