Author Topic: beginning engraving tools  (Read 8052 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
beginning engraving tools
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »
Hi y'all;I need some input on what tools to begin basic engraving with-putting name on barrel flats,other rudimentary things.Also,books/dvds.I appreciate your advice.Thanks,Dave

Offline JDK

Re: beginning engraving tools
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:36:19 AM »
John Schippers' new book "Engraving Historic Firearms" will answer all your questions and then some.  It is an invaluable resource and likely the only book you will need.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »
What JD said about the book. I just broke down and ordered it last week. Worth the price.
You can also rent Lynton McKenzie's videos from Smartfix do this too.

For most engraving on Kentucky rifles you only need square gravers and a couple more you can make from squares. Lynton does a good job of debunking the need for a lot of different gravers.

http://smartflix.com/store/video/457/Engraving

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
A simple handout I use for my beginning engraving seminar at DIxon's.....

...and a supply list. Outdated, but some info is still good.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:38:23 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:18:49 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.I know where to start .Best regards,Dave

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:00:47 AM »
Get some 1/8" square lathe tool bits and set them in 3/8'' aluminum handles. These come in regular HSS, and either 5% or 10%  cobalt. They range form $2.00 ea to about $4.00 from places like Enco.

J.Cundiff

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:10:39 AM »
Can you give a link or some more detail on the handles? Found the bits no problem.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »
Can you give a link or some more detail on the handles?
Get it from the same place you get the bits.  It's just 3/8ths aluminum rod cut to a convenient length, a hole drilled in the end to receive the bit, and a set screw on the side to retain it.

This is for Tom.....my homemade chasing hammer.

Inexpensive diamond stones available from Smoky Mountain Knife Works.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:31:23 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »
 I would agree that  for the most part a square will do most everything you need at first .
  another way to go, if your going the chase graver route , is to pick up some old used triangle files and make square gravers from them.
 But I would have to say , for at least what I do , a square will do most everything   from back ground removal to shading and stippling . at least for the basics
later you can try  lesser angles , which give diffrent effects . exspecialy concerning shadding

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:20:09 PM by Captchee »

kaen

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »
Tom, of the three cutting tool types that you listed in your reply, which would you recommend to engrave brass and the steel used in making lock plates and standard barrels? (i.e. regular HSS, and either 5% or 10%  cobalt.)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
Personally, I'd go with the 5 percent cobalt. It really holds up. Tips don't chip so often.

GRS makes some fabulous cutting tools. They provide 3/32 square bits in super cobalt for $12-14 ea. You think wow, that's pricey, but you forget about price when you cut day after day without having to re-sharpen.

Lindsay and GRS make sharpening equip that is just fabulous. The Lindsay template system for sharpening is genius.

TOF, I recognize that hammer! Hahahaha.

T

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 01:19:04 AM »
I have a quick question on the 3 sided file graver. I made one and worked really hard at getting the correct angles. I carefully ground the file so I wouldn't burn it but it still will not bite into brass or steel. I didn't re-temper the file could that be my problem. As I tap it just slides across the metal. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bob

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 03:38:29 AM »
Some files are casehardened, and the core might be soft. Try filing your graver. If it cuts, you're going to have to use something else for a graver.

Old taps, endmills, drills can be used.

But really, a HHS lathe bit is $2, and the steel is great, and it's the right shape already.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:10:59 AM »
Mr. Ears,
What degree of elevation did you cut the heel on the graver?
Remember you need to hold the graver a couple degrees higher than you cut the heel, otherwise the graver will just skid along and not actually cut.
Also, I'm not sure that a file would be a very good graver due to its hardness. I think the point would chip off pretty easily. I'd think anyone learning to engrave would be way ahead by buying just a single square graver and learn how to sharpen it correctly. A single graver should last for years and take a lot of the aggravation out of learning the process by using make-do tools.

John
John Robbins

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 05:25:30 AM »
Thanks gentlemen! I'm ordering some new 1/8" bits as we speak. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice. Bob

Offline kutter

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:57 AM »
I'd think anyone learning to engrave would be way ahead by buying just a single square graver and learn how to sharpen it correctly. A single graver should last for years and take a lot of the aggravation out of learning the process by using make-do tools.

John

Excellent advise.

Don't make the learning process any more tedious than it needs to be. You can always go back and do some 'historical' engraving work later ,,making tools from odd bits and scraps of steel cast-a-ways.

For now leave all that aside and get to the engraving part with a 5pk of decent tool steel lathe bits.
Grinding & shaping those to proper form is difficult enough.
It's downright depressing to find out you've spent the time on unsuitable material to begin with.

Don't give up,,keep it simple,,you can do this..

Offline Captchee

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »
Also, I'm not sure that a file would be a very good graver due to its hardness. I think the point would chip off pretty easily. I'd think anyone learning to engrave would be way ahead by buying just a single square graver and learn how to sharpen it correctly

actually i have found the small T angle files to make very good  chase gravers . never had one with a soft center ???
 if i did , it wasnt soft enough to be notable .
will they chip , yep but IMO no worse then a HSS .
 cobalt’s "while worth the money " will also still chip .  They do stay much sharper for longer  and thus more forgiving  to mistakes that will chip out other gravers .
 . But frankly , unless you go crazy with a power hone , its going to take a person a  lot of hours  behind  the vice before they will  run through even a HSS  blank

TinStar

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »
ve any of you gents ever tried this graver sharpener from Grobet?
Think it would work for 3/32 or 1/8 gravers?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!