Author Topic: W Jones Blunderbuss  (Read 3471 times)

Offline gibster

W Jones Blunderbuss
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:43:00 AM »
I know, it's not a longrifle.  But it is a Flintlock and it is old. ;D  Just thought that some would like to take a look at it.  I posted a picture a few days ago trying to find information on the barrel proof marks and received some great information.  I appreciate the help.  The blunderbuss is signed on both the barrel and the lock, W Jones.  The brass barrel is 14-inches long and the bell measures 1 ¼-inches inside.  The triangular bayonet measures 13-inches.  The overall length with the bayonet open is 40 ¾-inches, and 29 ½-inches closed.  The original flintlock has a safety latch that engages the tumbler inside the lock.  The lock is secured with a single lock bolt and the front of the lock has a tab on the inside that engages another screw on the inside of the lock mortise. (Hope that made sense.)  It is missing the ram rod and once I have the chance, will make one for it.  If anyone wants additional information or pictures, let me know and I will do my best to get them for you.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: W Jones Blunderbuss
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »
Thank you for posting the photos of a very nice English blunderbuss. It's a great looking piece with all of the desirable features. Of considerable interest is the French cock on the lock and the safety latch. Brass barrel is very fine and the bayonet mounted on the top of the barrel is well done. The ramrod could have been wood with a horn tip or it could have been all brass. Condition looks extra fine and the checkering is excellent. Given the single screw lock plate, the French cock and the checkered wrist, it would appear that this piece was made sometime around 1815-1820. I have not seen work by Jones before, so am not sure when he worked, but the above features suggest that time range.
Dick

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Sir; The W. Jones Blunderbuss fits just fine in the ALF- forum. Their are many fine features on this piece. I particularly have enjoyed the safety style lock and the triangular bayonet. Thanks for sharing the pictures on this site. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »
Just an observation.... but it looks like the cock would point the flint at the fence and not at the frizzen.. Have you tried a flint in it and does it strike the frizzen correctly???...It is a very nice piece.....Ed
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:31:24 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
Hi Gibster,
Very nice gun in terrific condition.  However, in my opinion, the flintcock is an incorrect replacement.  The style is not necessarily wrong, but that style has no inner shoulder that hits the lockplate and stops its motion.  Rather, your style of flintcock should have the lower jaw or throat hitting the pan fence to arrest its motion when uncocked. Yours does not do that, which means the bridle and tumbler are taking the full force of the blow.  Also the stock looks like it was modeled after a mid-19th century Enfield rifled musket.  There are definitely some curious features.

dave
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:57:32 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline gibster

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
Good observation on the hammer.  After reading the comments by Longknife and smart dog, I looked closer at the hammer and I have to agree, it is a replacement and not a very good one at that.  I haven't put a flint in the jaws, but from looking at it, a flint would be hard pressed to strike the frizzen face properly.  Also, I can see a slight imprint in the wood from what would have been the original hammer when pulled into the full cock position.  The engraving on the screw that holds the hammer to the tumbler matches the engraving on the other screws on the blunderbuss, so I think that it is correct.  But I agree, that hammer is a replacement.  The hunt is on for a correct hammer for this piece.  The gentleman that I bought this from told me that his Father bought it in the 1950's while in Europe and nothing had been done to it since his Father bought it.  So I have no idea how long ago the hammer was changed, but the aging matches the rest of the lock very well.  Thanks again for the comments and the observations.  As always, the information and education I get from this site is priceless.  Thanks.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »
Gibster,
Nice find.
As stated prior, cock needs replaced. I have seen a number of guns replaced with that type of cock and the ones I could find info. on had been replaced across the pond.
The hardware and stock all look correct to the late flint time period compared to other blunderbusses of the period I have seen. Replace the cock and you have a very nice piece. I would keep the cock with the gun though. I believe it probably was added in the early 20th century.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:08:47 PM by James Rogers »