Author Topic: Bucks Youth rifle  (Read 5982 times)

Offline cmac

Bucks Youth rifle
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »

Well, it still needs a bit off touch up but here she is. Yes, my kids are spoiled! This has a curly maple stock, 31" 36 caliber swamped Rice barrel(custom), a Davis little becky lock, all parts are handmade except barrel, lock and screws. The trigger guard is a purchased one that I had to cut apart and modify to fit. Length of pull is 11 1/4". Ramrod is hickory split from a board with a steel tapered tip. It is a light weight rifle with very nice balance! I hope they like it.

pushboater

Re: Bucks Youth rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:50:36 PM »
I'd have promised a years worth of washing dishes to have had a gun like that when I was a kid!  I"d have been the envy of all my Daniel Boone loving friends!  I'm sure they're going to love it.  What did you use for your stain?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
Oh, to be a kid again! What a great rifle for a kid. What do you mean, you hope they like it? What's not to like!!!!

Comment: finish could be a little shinier. Looks  unfinished.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

ken

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »
Is it Christmas already?  Wish I was a Kid again. Real nice rifle You should be pleased.               ken

Offline cmac

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »
Thanks guys. The finish is aqua fortis and refined linseed oil. The finish should gloss up a bit. I only have 2 coats on so far and no sealer. I know I would have liked to have it as a kid. I started at about 12 with a cva. The wood and barrel cost me $500, but I hope it will be in the family for a good long while.

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:12:56 AM »
I got my 6 year old out to shoot it today. He did great fired two rounds a couple inches apart just above the bulls eye. This was without sighting it in and developing a set load. Actually it was with 32 caliber bullets and a very heavy patch. I need to make up some 36 caliber bullets before sight work.

Besides that we went fishing the local creek and he helped me reel in a 20 inch brown trout. GOOD day for the boy!

Tink

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 04:41:08 AM »
Great looking piece !!  Hope to see him shoot it this summer !

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:26:18 AM »
Whoa up... nice rifle for a fine young man who sounds like he shoots better than I - but, now... 20 inch Brown! Yikes, what did you catch it on? Let me guess, a gob of worms allowed to coast along the stream bottom.

dave
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:26:52 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:27:33 AM »
A new rifle AND a fishing trip both !!  Some kids are born under a lucky star.

billm

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 07:31:34 AM »
That is excellent!Im sure your son will enjoy that rifle and when hes older will realize the care and love you put into that gun made especially for him.Great job.....I had my six year old out shooting today.Its good to be a dad.. Whats the weight of the rifle?

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
I'm not sure the weight of the rifle yet. I need to get a good scale. It is lighter than many 22's I've held. The trout was caught on worm but stomach was full of grubs and larva.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »
That is very cute. Lucky kid for sure!

I think I would have thinned down the lockplate and trigger guard a bit to bring it all closer to scale, but I'm picking nits.

Did I say lucky kid yet?!

Offline Angus

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »
Very nice. Let me know if you need a middle aged son, I would be glad to join your family. ;D
This also is a great introduction to the shooting sport. This is an moment in time your children won't forget.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
Looks good, Colin. I believe your story until you included the part about catching that fish.  Good job on the rifle keep that young man shooting. We need some young blood. most of us are going over the hill!

Offline cmac

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
ok just to prove it wasn't a fishin tale:     :P

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
OVER THE HILL?? I think some of us started at the bottom and went down
from there.I sometimes think I did.

Bob Roller