Author Topic: Alabama longbeard  (Read 4040 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Alabama longbeard
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:13:02 AM »
Been a silent spring but the gobblers have finally started talking. I got on this bird at daylight but as I closed the distance I could hear he had his ladies roosted close so I just hung around him all day since he was the only game in town. He would gobble once every 30/45 min or so and then about 1:45 he ran out of hens and started gobbling and I promised him something special if he would come see me. He came to 30 yrds  strutting and drumming and I let Achilles do what he was built to do. He went down and is now in the freezer for being so romantic. He weighed about 18lbs and has a 10 inch thick beard and 1 inch spurs. Its the first bird for this smoothbore that I built this last fall/winter and named it Achilles. The load this 12 ga likes is 100 gr of Fg followed by a wonderwad and a 1/8th thick hard cardboard overpowder wad then 110 gr of copperplated #4s topped off with a thin overshot card. I hope all you longbeard chasers have a great season this spring ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline alyce-james

Re: Alabama longbeard
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:53:41 AM »
Sir; Nice looking bird. The wife agrees with me, seldom, we have a great stove, oven, and dinning room table the pictured bird would fit and look great  on. Thanks for sharing the pictures. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

roundball

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:56:35 AM »
Man Wattles, you clean up a road kill better then anybody I know............LOL.

Hey, great job...good patience waiting him out, and your new smoothie obviously delivered as designed !

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:05:46 AM »
Just goes to show ya a fat redneck will eat might near anything ;D Thanks guys
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline LH

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
Sounds like a good hunt and you did a fine job of hangin in til the deed was done.  In the words of a famous American,  "From where the sun now stands,  he will gobble no more,  forever".   ;D

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »
Great job Wattlebuster!!! Had one in the yard this morning, but three more weeks till he's in any danger.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »
Alright, way to go!  Glad to see somebody get the season kicked off on here. 

I've got a week to go and want to hunt so bad I think I'm going to bust!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
Sounds like an enthralling hunt by a very diligent and patient hunter who knows his turkeys, good job!

Over here in Georgia we've got a couple of hen's coming down to feed in the field in front of the house, one just left a few minutes ago. I believe they are on the nest as I see one or the other morning and evening. Two gobblers were in the area last week but I have not seen them for over a week, bet they are out romancing on their stomping grounds. Ah, spring...

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »
Congrats!!! Good looking bird. After what seems like forever, our season starts next Saturday.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:56 AM »
Way to go Wattle, aint nothin better than huntin in our bama woods. Nice bird!
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!