Author Topic: Bogelish rifle  (Read 9007 times)

Offline B.Barker

Bogelish rifle
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »
I've been working on this for ever it seems. Maybe this weekend it will be close to finnished. I've made a ton of misstakes on this rifle. It seems like I had to make three of everything before I got it kinda right. I was not trying to make an exact copy of J Bogel's rifle but wanted something a little earlier and a little fancier. So this is what I came up with and yes I know my biggest misstake was putting the lock on the wrong side. ;D The lock may get some engraving on it tonight and I have to harden the triggers still. All the wood screws, lock bolts and tang bolt are hand made along with the hardware and all the exterior parts of the lock. Any constructive criteques are welcome. I want to thank Ian for giving me so much help and time on this project.

Offline B.Barker

Re: Bogelish rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »
That first photo didn't turn out right it must be where I changed orientation on photobucket. I also don't know how to add more photo's to the same post so here is another .

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
and another......

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
Cheek peice inlay. Engraving needs lots of help.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
patch box close up.

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »
Nice looking piece. Where are the triggers?and did you make those as well?

Frank Savage

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
Man, thatīs sweet... maybe Iīm biased, because Iīm in the middle of my own first hump on learning curve through my off (mostly)-on scratch&scrap build, but I have seen some @!*% fine, as well as just plain true workmanship originals.
And what can be seen from the photos is just a joy to see, because it looks like some true workmanship with occasional slip due to serious lack of time. Donīt get it bad and wrong, I know thereīs heap of work under everything whatīs visible on the surface, but somehow it can be feeled that all comes from one pair of hands which have some skill, just not actally fully adapted to the "know how". And somehow hard to tell if due to it is the first, or 50th under unknown time pressure. The photo of the patchbox is not all that clear in detail, but I would bet that you did the inlay first and then you did the brass washer under the lid screw. The obvious learning curve in engraving around the inlay is sweet.

I higly regard and apreciate what a lot of people can do, considering wood to metal fit, finishes, engraving preciosity etc. But in the means of workmanship, your rifle is somehow just down to the roots and very apropriate for the kind of the rifle. No patina needed, it looks like a well-build, higly cared-of fancy tool. In the soundest meaning of the word "tool".
From the begining, Iīm wishing to end up this way with my rifle, because flaws on first build are obvious. Now I wish I end comparable to your gun.

(Only after diggging into it past of Point of No Return I realized that making "what an advanced american aprentice could build after falling in love with Alexander Henry sporting rifle" or "how an american gunsmith, totaly unfamiliar with the style, would re-stock an Alexander Henry sporting rifle" is maybe of the toughest first builds. Did my tapered underrib three times just to scrap it...)

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 02:44:54 AM »
Love it! Really great job.  I do have a few questions... what is the height of the butt plate and the over all length of the patch box and the width of the door?  What finsh did you use on the metal and wood?
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:38:50 AM »
The Bogle is a favorite of mine, and I like your interpretation.    Did you make the guard and butt piece?   I also like the little touches of silver. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 03:39:30 AM »
I also don't know how to add more photo's to the same post so here is another .

B.
Just enter a blank line under the URL for the first photo then paste the URL for the second photo right under the first i.e:

http://first URL here (it does need the img in brackets fore/aft )

http://second URL here

Dennis
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:42:04 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:56:47 AM »
Looks dang good to me!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 05:28:36 AM »
Hi there B Barker. I like your gun. I would only change one thing on the gun and that is just my personal preference. I would raise the front of the patch box up towards the comb by just a tad but like I said thats just me. Looks like you did a nice job of laying the thing out and putting it all together. Nice fit and finnish. Hope its a good shooter for you.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
Nice rifle, one any leftie would be proud to own and shoot--if you get tired of it, I do shoot left-handed and would be happy to run a few loads thru it.  I really like the finish on wood and metal.  Great job.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
Cmac here are the triggers and yes I made them also. Used mild steel for the triggers this time but next ones will be 1084 so I won't have to case harden them.
Mark, I forged the butt plate and trigger guard out of wrought iron from an old bridge. The patch box would also have been wrought but the bolt that I had flattened and filed for it was missed placed. I didn't feel like spending another five hours flatening and filing another piece.
Snap the butt plate is about 5" high and 1-3/4" wide. I don't know the size of the patch box off the top of my head.
Smylee if I had it to do over I would raise the patch box finial just a tad.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
forgot these.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Nice looking rifle Brian.
The triggers look great too. There is more work in those then most realize.
Are you going to go down to the show in Tenn this year?

Offline bigbat

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
Brian, as with all of your projects, VERY NICE.  except for being a lefty,

Scott

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
Yea Mark I plan on going down and should have the rifle with me.
Scott, thanks.

Don Tripp

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
That's the kind of rifle that I like to see. Thanks for sharing it.

Offline bgf

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »
It took me a little while to warm up to the silver accents and I'm not sure I would have done them, but I like the rifle a lot, as also the original. 

Is that lock a Durs Egg? Definitely earlier and fancier than the Bogle lock (which is what you were going for).  I know there aren't too many choices for lefties, either.  What are the other spec's., e.g. barrel, etc.

Very nice job on TG, BP and PB!  You're short a ramrod pipe, but other than that, I can't complain at all!

eagle24

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:16:34 AM »
Well....I hate to tell you, but the lock, patch box, and cheek rest are on the wrong side.  You built this rifle backwards.   ;D 

Nice job Brian!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
The lock started out life as a Chambers gunmakers lock. I threw out all the external parts and made a new frizzzen, frizzen spring and cock. The barrel is 44" long Rice "B" weight .50 caliber. I checked the patch box last night and it's 6-1/2" long and the lid is 1-1/2" wide.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 12:42:41 AM »
I haven't commented on many guns lately, but I like this one. Nice archatecture, the workmanship is very good. It's a fairly warm piece due to the color and texture of the finish, both metal and wood. I'd like to see the silver tarnished a bit. If it was right handed it would be even better.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »
Nothing wrong with the engraving. It is as good or better than that on most originals. I personally don't care too much for an engraving style on a longrifle that would rival that seen on Italian shotguns. It just looks out of place. What you have is perfect for that rifle. I like to see a builder use an historic rifle as inspiration and then use that to build something that might have come from that shop. It adds a lot of credibility to the build. With a little bit of shooting and cleaning this gun will really begin to look even better. Good work. Now you need to start on a suitable pouch and horn.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »
Thanks Mike, I know everyone doesn't like distressed guns like a few of us do. I received a bunch of help from Ian with the finnish.