Author Topic: Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit (New pictures)  (Read 10259 times)

Offline Firelock

Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit (New pictures)
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
I had to put my flintlock rifle build on hold recently when Combat Handguns magazine asked me to write an article about building a flintlock pistol from a kit.

I selected this Pedersoli .45 caliber Kentucky pistol kit from Dixie Gun Works. This is a very easy kit that anyone should be able to build.

I'll do a short video series on assembling the kit. In this first installment I'll show you what comes with the kit, and I'll show you how to shape the nose cap and clean up the brass ramrod thimbles...more updates to come.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:51:00 PM by Firelock »

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
 ::)The ideal pistol for a walk and draw shooting competition.

Bob Roller

Offline Firelock

Re: Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit (New pictures)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »
I finished the Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit today. I'll still do a couple of more videos showing the rest of the process, but I thought I'd post a few pictures now.

Once again I demonstrated my ability to take $400 worth of parts and turn them into a gun worth $200.  

On the whole I'm pleased with the pistol, but I did pull some major boners.

First of all, a good sized sliver of wood broke off at the top of the right forearm, and it resisted all efforts to glue it back in place, so I have a decent dip there.

Then I cut the lips of the ramrod channel pretty low, which I wanted to do, but I didn't realize it would show off the inletting for the entry thimbal, which was done with a router.

This is the first gun I ever did lock beavertails for...or any molding for that matter. I figured it would be good practice for my rifle build. They certainly didn't come out perfect. I found the walnut very difficult to cut cleanly, compared to maple.

I tried a different outlining technique on each panel. On the lock panel I used a 3mm V gouge and on the side plate panel I used a knife. I had issues either way...ordered some books on carving because I have no clue...

Still, I'm not totally displeased with the pistol. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:52:32 PM by Firelock »

Micah2

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:42:50 AM »
Congrats, I hope you attempt another build.  Be proud of your gun and of your interest.

J.Cundiff

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:05 AM »
I built this same pistol in .54 caliber a few years back. It was a fun little build, and got me warmed up to take on a full rifle build. They're good little kits, the only thing I don't like about mine is the horrible trigger. One of these days I may have to see if I can replace it with something better.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
I have limited experience with the Pedersoli locks, but the ones I have dealt with have had overly strong springs in them, sear spring in particular. Reducing the spring pressure on the sear will do a lot towards helping the trigger pull.

Must be made from old Fiat truck springs. FIAT= Fix It Again Tony.

J.Cundiff

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
The springs are definitely very strong on these locks. The trigger leverage sucks too though. Modifying both may be in order.

J.Cundiff

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »

I like that you put different sights on it than what the kit came with. May I ask which sights you chose? This is another modification I have considered doing to mine... the sights that come with the kit are not very good.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:32:19 AM »
I have seen a few of those pistols over the years...usually at rendezvous. They seem to work OK after you" get the bugs out of them"  . Usual lock and vent issues etc.
You did a nice job, but these pistols always look like they have twice as much wood on them as they should have to my eye.  Especially in the lock area.

Offline Firelock

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »
I put on a Lehigh County style rear sight from Track because it is nice and low...and I had one in the parts drawer

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1245/1/RS-AM-14

The front sight is another parts draw left over...don't know where it cam from.

J.Cundiff

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 02:20:55 AM »
Great, thank you! :)