Author Topic: Lock Inletting  (Read 14294 times)

tuffy

Re: Lock Inletting
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 08:09:41 AM »
Yep, guys. It's going to be the shims instead of the lock plate. I'm not a welder yet by any means. Besides, the lock that I'm using is a Davis Tulle. Seems like it's already pretty good size. Imagine if I'm having a problem with just fixing some wood, what a lock plate that I had to cut and weld would look like. :o Again, thanks to everyone who answered. Now I know where to come when I run into the next problem. And the next, and next........

George F.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 06:22:57 AM »
Now this solution might be "over kill" but If it's really important to you  not to see the repair, AND it's a  Large Siler type lock. There's the option of purchasing their  Gunmakers lock. I don't know if they just sell the plate or not. But make a paper or  poster board pattern of your inlet and cut out the plate to fit.I know this is over the top and an expensive option, but it's just another idea.  Sometimes these inletting errors result in grain patterns, dull tools improper choice of tools for the task at hand. Seems the easiest way out is to replace  the bad parts with  a slightly over sized piece. Glue it in and to clamp it  for a few hours. If you can't get a clamp to hold securely, then it can be wedged from the opposing  side. Then more carefully re-inlett the lock plate. We all hate mistakes, but they happen to most of us. Personally, I wouldn't go the gun makers lock plate route. It's allot of extra work.   ...Geo.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
I'm new to this gun building game and have gotten a little carried away while inletting my lock. ;D I seem to have removed a little too much wood and now have a sloppy fit. What is the best way to "fix" this problem?

Sometimes peaning the metal parts to enlarge them will help. But this is easier with flat plate percussion locks than most flint types.
If its not too horrible a piece of stock wood or a number of slivers can be glued in to fill the gap. Wax the lock plate and install it then put glue in the crack then glue and put in slivers of wood or a piece to fill it tight. "Yellow" carpenters glue works great for this. Add chips and slivers till you cant force/drive anymore in. Without having it to look at its tough to make a call.
Never use handheld power tools where fit is important.
I run the internals with a mill and take off some of the wood to start the lockplate but never get close to the line. I due rod and barrel channels too. But barrels have to be scraped in.
Fixing mistakes is just part of the process.
If you start to get to frantic in doing something quit and take a break.
Speed kills you know.  ;D
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine