Author Topic: Can a nipple go bad ??  (Read 13355 times)

2lookindown

Can a nipple go bad ??
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »
I have been shooting my new build 32 Cal. I couldn't get it to group... It would shoot a 3-4 inch group... I took the gun apart and put it back together a couple times.... I have shot it about 200-250 times.... It wouldn't group at all... I changed the nipple and fixed the problem... Is that normal for a nipple to get shot out or did it just fix it's self ??

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Can a nipple go bad ??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:47:51 AM »
What kind of nipple???? Ampco, hot shot stainless steel what??  Stainless being the best!  Hole burned out (enlarged)  Even that shouldn't cripple her grouping too awfull much!  Hammer coming back to half draw is the symtom and clue to change said nipple....

Offline LH

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 04:57:08 AM »
I've seen accuracy start south way before the nipple was so blown out that it would lift the hammer.  200 or 300 shots on one is about right for top accuracy in the cap guns I've messed with.  If you're going to shoot it on a regular basis,  the platinum lined nipples are a bargain.

2lookindown

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:53:46 AM »
Roger, I'm not sure on the kind of nipple it was it was in the drum when I purchased it... I put a new nipple in and it was the best I have ever seen it shoot... I was shooting a 3-4 inch group and came down to a quarter at 25 yards... Know I need to find the best nipple for excessive shooting... ;D ;D

2lookindown

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:55:57 AM »
LH, It has had every bit of 300 plus run through it... It never did group so I guess the nipple was bad when I started ??

Offline redheart

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »
Doesn't this depend on how hot the load is? :-\
Of course you are absolutely correct about the platinum nipples being the best, but I'd love to know if other small caliber shooters have accelerated erosion considering the tiny loads  that  they typically shoot. I'm ignorant of this subject, but would sure like to know!   ???
I guess if you started out with an oversize nipple than all bets are off!
You didn't say at what distance you got the 3"to 4" groups that makes all the difference in the world.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:03:55 AM by redheart »

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:29:51 AM »
Nipples can get gas cut but wouldn't think a normal .32 load would burn one out in that few shots and also shouldn't have been bad from the start.

Glad you got it working better, now work on 50 yard targets to see what it is really doing.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
When you buy your rifle nipples, you want the smallest possible flash hole possible in them. First because the cap will fire through  the smallest hole and ignite your charge if the flash hole system is properly maintained, and secondly so that the chamber pressure  will be better contained by the smallest hole, thus more consistency and accuracy. Hammer blow back  is an accuracy and a safety problem. I like those vendors who have a quantity if nipples to select from. Pick up 2 or 6 and look at the flash holes closely and choose wisely. Later get a stranded wire and find a wire strand to use as a hole gauge or use a very small drill.

Eventually as you shoot you will find accuracy dropping off because of nipple flashhole enlargement. That changes the fire in, pressure out consistency of your load.   Replace the nipple and go back to your good accuracy. Use gauges to figure out the nipple replacement point.  Don't wait till the hammer comes back or your grouping goes away. 

Lon

2lookindown

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
RedHeart, All shot from the gun were done from the same bench and target placement of 25 yards same rest same shooter....

2lookindown

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
TC, I will do the 50 and see in a day or two of having some fun at 25 now that it is hittin where it should....

2lookindown

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »
Lon, I will buy the best I can get if someone would tell me where to get them I would appreciate it.... I guess I can look up some on line... Are the Ampco that Muzzleloader Builders Supply carries any good ???

dagner

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
 YES YOU CAN HAVE A BAD BRAND NEW NIPPLE.FIRST THING BENCH SHOOTERS DO IF GUN NOT GROUPING PROPERLY IS CHANGE THE NIPPLE. AMPCO OR STAINLESS EITHER ONE ARE FINE.

Offline bgf

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 02:51:01 AM »
Some of the nipples I bought in past had huge passages in them.  I supsect they were set up for better ignition of Pyrodex and other substitutes rather than accuracy.  The "Spitfire" nipples at Dixie look pretty good -- I ordered a couple for my heavy target/light chunk gun, although I go flint with it unless conditions are terrible.  The Ampco nipples also have small passages by their descriptions.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:10:14 AM »
I have been shooting my new build 32 Cal. I couldn't get it to group... It would shoot a 3-4 inch group... I took the gun apart and put it back together a couple times.... I have shot it about 200-250 times.... It wouldn't group at all... I changed the nipple and fixed the problem... Is that normal for a nipple to get shot out or did it just fix it's self ??
  Accuracy can start to degrade in as little as 100 shots.  Stainlesssteel nipples are by far better than the factory examples but the TRESO nipple is made of bronze and tends to last even longer and is worth the extra dollar or two.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

2lookindown

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:17:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info... Just for snits and giggles today I changed back to the old nipple... It went haywire so it was the nipple... Put the new one back in and it tighten right back up.... I will try some of the other nipples but I looked at on that was a little pricey... It was the platinum lined $59.00 WOW ??

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 04:38:22 AM »
 That $59 nipple should last a very long time in a round ball gun.
I shot 500 grain bullets out of a fine Whitworth for 11 years on
ONE platinum lined nipple.Zero wear on the threads of the nipple
seat as well.

Bob Roller

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:42 AM »
A quick question while we are on the subject; those nipples are lined with platinum but what is the the rest of it made from?  Stainless, bronze, carbon steel?
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 04:54:02 AM »
These are custom made and are usually carbon steel.They are mostly used in
Rigby's.Whitworths and other "Thousand yard Specials" that use 90 or more
grains of high quality black powder to goose a 500+grain bullet out past the
front sight.

Bob Roller

2lookindown

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »
Bob, Is that the going price on the platinum lined nipple  ??

westerner

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
Nipples can get gas cut but wouldn't think a normal .32 load would burn one out in that few shots and also shouldn't have been bad from the start.

Glad you got it working better, now work on 50 yard targets to see what it is really doing.
TC

Here's a nice example of a gas cut nipple. Nipple is AMPCO bronze 1/4X28 with about 35 shots on it. 50 gr Swiss 1 1/2.
340 gr bullet.  Didn't check the nipple to make sure it was tight.  Rifle put three shots in a 3/4" group at 100 yards.
Noticed the nipple when cleaning at home.

First time I'd used that heavy a bullet.  Will use a stainless,,........... a tight stainless nipple next time.

Joe.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:20:06 AM by westerner »

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
Frequently they are more.

Bob Roller

Offline LH

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
That price is fine.   Where did you find them?  At that price it will be a bargain compared to regular nipples if you're going to shoot it much.   

tuffy

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »
Buffalo Arms has them for $59.99.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=161843&CAT=3776

CW

2lookindown

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
DogFace, That is where I seen them...

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »
Westerner said   "Here's a nice example of a gas cut nipple. Nipple is AMPCO bronze 1/4X28 with about 35 shots on it. 50 gr Swiss 1 1/2.
340 gr bullet.  Didn't check the nipple to make sure it was tight.  Rifle put three shots in a 3/4" group at 100 yards.
Noticed the nipple when cleaning at home. "

I was thinking purely of gas cutting the flash hole, never thought of cutting the threads.  That should have been blowing your cap off at the last.  hope you were wearing eye protection.  I'm sure a 345 gr bullet w a 50 gr load would increase pressures - especially with FFFg.  That is why I shoot round balls and FFg.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/