Author Topic: Can a nipple go bad ??  (Read 13360 times)

westerner

Re: Can a nipple go bad ??
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:44 AM »
The carbon was flying the last three shots and I did wonder why.  The hammer wasn't going to half cock so figured it was normal.  Always wear my shooting glasses. Was the first time shooting that bore diameter bullet. When I went from forty to fifty grains the rifle printed a three shot 3/4 inch group.  Surprising to me because I had always heard that a worn nipple always effects accuracy.  I think it does but didn't in my case.  Three shots not being much of a test either.

The rifle is a percussion schuetzen with 26" twist.  I like shooting a bullet the rifle was made for. I shoot round balls in round ball guns. Bullets in bullet guns.

Joe.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:37:42 AM by westerner »

2lookindown

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »
Thanks for the info great reading and knowledge... I thought I was crazy when changing the nipple fixed it...

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »
While its uncommon at least today it would seem, nipple seats need to be cut so the base of the nipple seals against a flat surface. This can be done with a 5/16" counter bore piloted to fit the threaded hole.
Or the surface of the patent breech must be flat and square with the threaded hole.

A too large hole in the nipple can change the ignition for the worse and cause excess gas leakage.
Some rifles do not shoot well with the "magnum" caps designed for harder to ignite propellants like Pyrodex.

I had a vent liner gas cut the threads years ago. Took some time but it happened.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
Westerner;

Check the threads in the nipple seat carefully, back in the day I had this nipples twin sister ( only stainless). After telling someone, much more knowledgeable than myself about it, he said to check the drum, sure enough its threads were cut as well. Take care.

Hungry horse

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
oops...sorry, I need my glasses checked..I read it as can "Ripple" go bad....
I've never kept a bottle long enough to see...
(sorry..)
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
oops...sorry, I need my glasses checked..I read it as can "Ripple" go bad....
I've never kept a bottle long enough to see...
(sorry..)
tc
;D

2lookindown

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Sounds like he's related to Sanford & Son.... He drank the "Ripple"....  ;D ;D

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 02:21:37 AM »
Lon, I will buy the best I can get if someone would tell me where to get them I would appreciate it.... I guess I can look up some on line... Are the Ampco that Muzzleloader Builders Supply carries any good ???

I only buy AMPCO if available, usually in lots of 6 for pistol , and take my wire strand new hole gauge with me. Thus I stay years ahead of replacement needs. I was getting them From Northeast Trade some  5 years ago, as John there had bulk quantities and most buyers don't care about differing flash hole sizes.
VTI gunparts has good common hardened steel factory type nipples that are very serviceable in moderate BP pistol loads. Do some internet searchimg and calling about.
But I can tell you a common musket nipple of cheap steel gives up the ghost in terms of accuracy in 150 shots with a moderate charge, 250 good shots with common stainless, and close to 600 with an ampco.   Lon

2lookindown

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 06:27:36 AM »
Lon, I got my Ampco nipples to day... I hope they work...

westerner

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »
Westerner;

Check the threads in the nipple seat carefully, back in the day I had this nipples twin sister ( only stainless). After telling someone, much more knowledgeable than myself about it, he said to check the drum, sure enough its threads were cut as well. Take care.

Hungry horse

Checked the threads close. All there and in good shape.  Old case hardened breech plugs must be tough.

Joe.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:13:00 AM by westerner »