Author Topic: Bridle or no?  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Mike New

Bridle or no?
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:21 AM »
Distinguished Panel, Common sense tells us that a lock with a pan bridle should be stronger and last longer that one without. Can anyone offer some data has to how many shots one can expect from a lock with out a bridle? It seems that a lot of the "early" locks are with out. I guess the real question would be " Could I wear out a lock with out a bridle in my life time?" I'm 51 and in good health!! Thanks in advance, Mike New 

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Bridle or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:35:17 AM »
I have had locks without and shot countless rounds through that gun with no decernable wear or play .

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:31:21 AM »
redheart,
I believe we have a terminology issue here.  I believe Greenberry is talking about a bridled "frizzen", not a tumbler.
In His grip,

Dane

mattdog

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:50:43 AM »
" Could I wear out a lock with out a bridle in my life time?"

No.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:28:48 AM »
Bridle/no bridle. Flip a coin if you have no personal or aesthetic preference. I have both, and the decision was never rational.  ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »
In a well fitted precision fit, the bridle-less frizzen will work just fine. When the threads are sloppy, and the screw can wiggle in its hole, the hole can rapidly wear bigger, especially if the plate isn't casehardened.

However, most production locks today are pretty darned good. I've a huge increase in quality over the years.

As long as the initial fit-up is good, you should have no fears about a bridle-less frizzen.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »

No.

.........Oh yes you can!!!!! Gotta live to be about 250 years old.....and that's not in dog years!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »
Could I wear out a bride in my lifetime?   I doubt it but would like to try.....'pending some on the 'bride'.. ::)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »

No.
Yes.
People shooting BPCR wear out lock parts. Takes several thousand rounds of shooting but its doable.
Since the pan bridle predates the Kentucky rifle I see little point in using a lock without one unless doing a bench copy of an original.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »
Is this question about internal bridles that capture the tumbler and sear
or is is about a pan bridle? I have heard the internal bridle on locks set the development of breech loaders back at least 100 years because
once the mechanism was stablized there was no real need for breech loaders.

Bob Roller

mattdog

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 04:29:16 PM »
a lock with a pan bridle should be stronger and last longer that one without.

Emphasis mine.

The frizzen is flipping back and forth on the shank of a screw whether it is bridled or not bridled.  As far as simple wear is concerned I don't believe it makes any difference on a well built and concieved lock.  Now, if one were to drop their piece and it landed on the frizz. bending the screw that is a different problem.  In fact it might have been a common problem and that is why most (all?) locks were eventually made with a bridle. 

Something else to consider is the ease of making/forging a lock without a bridle vs. a bridled lock 250 years ago.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Guys,

When I make a lock without a pan bridle I make the frizzen pivot screw from hardenable steel and harden and temper the same as a spring.  I feel better about using a stronger and harder screw here than just a wrought iron screw.  I have seen no difference in operation or in life of the lock when using a no bridle pan.  It is a good bit easier to make a pan without a bridle, for sure.

Jim

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
Pan bridle is a definite improvement on the older bridle-less. Ill fitted pivot screws, soft lock plate and poor quality workmanship will certainly cause an early demise of the bridle-less lock.

But a well fitted and hardened bridle-less will give excellent service, and should be of no concern.

A poorly fitted bridled frizzen lock will certainly out-perform a poorly fitted bridle-less.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:15:42 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »
Though I have no experience with unbridled frizzen locks, My next (hope) gun will feature an early lock with an unbridled frizzen.  I have read up on the subject and as far as I can tell there is no difference in longevity (the lock).  I suspect, barring abuse, you will go long before the lock does.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 12:29:26 AM »
We can talk all day about this, but the real thing is keeping the lock, slightly oiled and clean. Neglect takes its toll on locks. Frizzen or tumblerl no bridle locks or locks with them, cheap or precision,it still takes a toll. First thing on a LR to go is usually the lock.

Offline Mike New

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 12:42:11 AM »
Thanks again!! This should help pick out a lock and a bride!! I can always count on good advice from ALR. Mike New

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 05:20:55 AM »
The style of lock I use depends on the type/style and time frame of the rifle I want to build.
My Chambers Marshall rifle gets a lot of use and I don't expect any problems with the no bridle lock in my lifetime. Using a lock with a bridle on this rifle just wouldn't be proper, so if you go with a bridled lock, make sure you build your rifle accordingly.