Author Topic: Northampton Finish  (Read 2243 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Northampton Finish
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
Generally speaking, what type of stain was applied to Northampton rifles?  Would Aqua Fortis have been applied to the original rifles?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Northampton Finish
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:20:28 AM »
Lehigh RIfles: I've seen from Aqua Fortis to red violin finish to red milk paint.  Generally speaking, the wood is not stained. The color is in the finish. Where the finish is worn, the wood shows white.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:22:19 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Northampton Finish
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:45:26 AM »
I'm not sure "generally speaking" applies to Northampton rifles - they're all over the board!  Acer is right on the money with his observations, and any red coloring seen on Lehigh guns is in the finish alone.  Red violin varnish could either be Dragon's blood, which is type of palm tree resin dissolved in alcohol and rubbed on as a french polish.  It's very shiny, very red, and from what I've heard and seen somewhat on the fragile side of finishes, but it is beautiful!  The other traditional red varnish is Madder lake pigment mulled into a slow drying oil varnish, then applied in many thin layers over the unstained or lightly stained maple.   The photo below shows a contemporary pistol I stained with a VERY mild solution of aquafortis, sealed with seedlac (like shellac but darker), finished with madder pigment varnish, and subsequently rubbed back in the grip to contrast colors. 

For non-red Northampton guns I've seen, their finish looks just like any other, which is safe to assume aquafortis was used. 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com