Author Topic: Who builds cutsom round ball molds ?  (Read 19658 times)

2lookindown

Re: Who builds cutsom round ball molds ?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
Daryl, I will use my Lee mold .319 after I cut the spure place it in the Lee mold and press it with the rockchucker press to make the spure round... It should work... I just need to either tap the Lee mold or have it fixed to the rockchucker press some how ???

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »
2Look,
I personally think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you use a good, available, mold and good casting proceeedure I will bet you a dime to a donut that you won't be able to tell the difference between their accuracy and a ball that you go to the trouble of pressing and measuring etc. My light bench and table rifles shoot one hole groups out to 50 yards right out of a Lee aluminum mold. Try it, you might like it.
Mark
Mark

2lookindown

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:12 AM »
Mark, I have shot 500 rounds out of my .32 cal and I'm getting tired of the spure that needs to be straight.... So I will make it so I don't need to worry about the spure.... Maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill "BUT" I have won a world championship trapshooting... There was 3738 shooters that day and this old hilljack won it all.... So maybe I can make the spure disappear with my junk Lee mold... ;D ;D ;D

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »
Congratulations on the trapshooting championship, I realize that is no easy feat. But, I think you will find if you have a good mold, not custom, with a minimal sprue that isn't dead center straight up you will shoot as well as the rifle you are shooting. Just my opinion. Good luck in your search.
Mrk
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »
X2 on Mark's post.
Congratulations on the trap shooting victory - that's 'some' feat, but this is about round ball mould sprues.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:01:21 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

2lookindown

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
X2 on Mark's post.
Congratulations on the trap shooting victory - that's 'some' feat, but this is about round ball mould sprues.

Daryl, I was just making a statement that " I KNOW HOW TO SHOOT"... I want all of my components to be the best I can get... I do not want a flat spot on my round ball .010 under round that I need to worry about putting straight up dead center.... Maybe It will shoot ok regardless of where the flat spot is placed.... I guess I should not have posted what I posted and just shot what I had and tried not to better myself .... I'm sorry Daryl that I got your panties in a wad..... I just want a true round ball....That's all

2lookindown

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Jeff Tanner mould looks great.... Thanks guys

hlary

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
sounds like 2lookin' is gettin' all "touchy" again........

2lookindown

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »
Nope just jerkin some chains and havin fun" BUT NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY"  ;D ;D

Oh Yea the mould worked great and the Lee worked as a swege...  And they shoot great also.... AGAIN THANKS GUYS....

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 01:45:59 AM »
2look,
How about posting some pics of the groups you are shooting, with some load specs. Like to see the results of your effort.
Mark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 02:59:57 AM »
Well, each to his or her own. 

I'd like to see some of those special groups that cannot be shot with a normally cast ball as well.  You've got my attention. I-too enjoy shooting tiny groups off bags, but I use as-cast balls.  At 50 yards, possibly even 100, I do not believe the "re-swaged" ball will prove more accurate. 

I can definitely see weighing them for sure, but making sure they are perfectly round just doesn't make ballistic sense, considering what we know about bullet bases and noses form the ctg. gun world.

If they make you feel better, or you like the 'convenience' fine, but as to them shooting better, I just don't believe that.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

hlary

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
Yeah.....and be sure and let us all know how many world records you break with those perfectly round balls.

2lookindown

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »
So I guess your doubting whether on not I won anything at all ??

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing how you're doing with that .32 with the 1:66 twist, just for the scientific curiosity aspects of it.   I'm wondering if
the slower twist than is now common in that caliber means you have to use heavier than normal charges of powder or a tight group, or just that you have that option.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »
2look,
Nope, just want to see the results of your efforts. On here we all try to share what we learn.
Mark
Mark

2lookindown

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »
Guys, I'm really tied up right now... Dad is still not responding and has lost 4 units of blood and does not now anyone... I have a hog to roast for my sons wedding saturday but I will get some pictures posted for unins just give me some time to catch up got to go to the hospital and it is an 1 1/2 hour drive .... Later

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 04:18:43 AM »
FWIW the Lee and RCBS RB moulds have a tangential sprue cut. Sometimes in the same nominal diameter they both have a + or- cut if you check different moulds. Production tolerances I guess. If you have a choice buying, open the mould and look.
The Lyman has a cylindrical tube of casting metal that is cut off by the sprue plate, also + or- to the ball surface.  The Tanner mould has the tube also that you must  cut off to minimize and deal with although I think the roundness is a measurable bit better than the named competition, but that is offset by production time.

You can put a couple of hundred of your RB(depending upon total weight)  in the smallest Thumler's tumbler for about 4 hours and make the well trimmed upstanding sprue tubes disappear, and the roundness measurably improves also, especially on your best tangential cut ball, depending upon how far it was out to start with. I'm talking LEAD here, not an alloy ball. Nothing but the RB to be tumbled is needed in the tumbler, NOT A VIBRATORY CASE CLEANER. Riding RB around in my car trunk only produced decreased gas mileage in my experience and made little measurable difference.

After my fooling around on this question for some time, I now tumble all RB I cast, send the tall sprue tube moulds down the road for the guys of the sprue up ritual, cherish the right on nominal roundness moulds, and poke down the barrel without regards to orientation, the RB I make. 

Lon

2lookindown

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 04:41:09 AM »
Lon, I cut the spure off as close as I could get it and took my dremel tool and work the rest down to round... I have a rock tumbler that works real good on the round ball but it wouldn't get the flat spot off the Lee ball and I left it in for 4 days so I gave up.... Look at the group I shot on the other post I posted ... It was with the Jeff Tanner mould... And Thanks for you input....