Author Topic: Norris Tennessee Show  (Read 10883 times)

Offline gibster

Norris Tennessee Show
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to Wayne and the others that worked so hard to put on this show.  As usual, it was top drawer.  If you missed it, you missed a great time.  Great guns, great people and great BBQ.  What more could you ask from a gun show ;D.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Norris Tennessee Show
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:42:21 AM »
I second the thank you to Wayne, as usual a good show and an excellent meal Friday night. The only complaint I might have had was due to the cold front that came thru and Wayne couldn't do anything about that!

Looking forward to next year.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

realtorone

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »
Wonderful Show .Wayne and Boo did a outstanding job as always.Bad rain early Friday,but it didn't deter anyone,If you were not there you really missed a wonderful show.

Offline art riser

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:24:01 AM »
Photos of the show are on the Blog today.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:59:11 AM »
Here are some photographs I took at the show.

1. Roger Sells, Art and Jan Riser

2. Roger Sells Iron mounted Lancaster. Roger and I spoke extensively about his rifle - he is a great fellow to talk with and full of knowledge and willing to share it. Thank you Roger. Oh, I  believe the rifle above is also by Roger.

3. Lock pix of the rifle by Roger.

4. Patchbox

5. Table display. I have lost my notes on the table displays at the show... dang it.

6. Some nice caplocks

7. Back to real rifles...

8. Selection of knives, the top two are by Ian Pratt (I tried to purchase the second one from the top but was too late).

9. Another table display.

10. Some nice originals.

11. Matched pair of Scottish pistols, completely hand made by a gentlemen who's name I can't recall, began with an H (lost notes again). In any case his friend brought several examples of his work as he is suffering alzheimer's and in a home. Poor guy, but what a MAKER! His engraving superb

Enough for now. I know i had a good photo of Dennis hiding behind his wonderful collection of Gillespie's, will have to search my phone again and see if I can find it. Great guy, our Dennis Glazener. Glad I finally met and had the opportunity to speak with you Dennis and thank you for all the work you do for ALR.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Collector

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:33:08 AM »
Did anyone, per chance, have an opportunity to more closely examine that most curious of longrifles... you know, the one with the spike that folds into the buttstock? 

Reference: photographs No.'s 7 and 9, in the Blog, have just hints of it that can be seen in both.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:38:28 AM »
Thanks for the pics. The #11 Scottish brace would be Houston Harrison's most excellent work.
James

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:51:20 AM »
Houston also did restoration work at one time. He was one of the best! I am saddened  to here of his illness.    JIM
JIM

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 06:54:09 AM »
Did anyone, per chance, have an opportunity to more closely examine that most curious of longrifles... you know, the one with the spike that folds into the buttstock? 

Reference: photographs No.'s 7 and 9, in the Blog, have just hints of it that can be seen in both.

I was all set to ask for a demo of the "bayonet", but it slipped my mind later in the day (the owner wasn't at the table at the time).  Nice rifle -- I think the pictures don't do it justice.

My favorite show of the year, and I'm always grateful that Wayne lets me in.  Some of the other highlights were the most recently discovered Jacob Young (of course), a late one marked "SK" (probably a Keller from Blount Co., Tn.), a half-stock GA rifle with oct. to round barrel and inlay depicting G. Washington in place of a patchbox (I barely talked myself out of buying that one; it helped that I know nothing about them and felt it deserved to go to someone better than I), and a fancy and distinctive Phillip Gillespie rifle in brass and silver with stamp done in place of most engraving.  Actually, I don't think I saw any I didn't like, but those are the ones off the top of my head that stand out, though it hardly seems fair with all the good ones there to discriminate.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »

I looked at it and handled it too. The photographs we have seen of it pretty well document it. The current owner had not gained any further information about it, any more than when it was discussed on the forum here a while back. A fellow standing next to me offered the opinion that the "bayonet" (it is quite short and the blade crudely fashioned btw, being about five inches long) was a "pig sticker." His idea was that it was similar to rear mounted bayonets he had seen on some British muskets that were used when foraging to dispatch animals. Perhaps...  If it, the bayonet, was intended as a combat weapon of last resort it wouldn't serve too well in my opinion as it could not penetrate very deeply. The mechanism for deploying the bayonet is pretty slick though, and quick, being spring loaded it flips out and locks in place readily. For obvious reasons the rifle is balanced toward the rear but not overly so and comes to the shoulder about like any other. It has seen service in the field and was well cared for.

dave

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the pics. The #11 Scottish brace would be Houston Harrison's most excellent work.
James

Correct, Houston Harrison, thank you. There were two other examples of Mr. Harrison's work on exhibit and both extremely well done. One, a little .40 caliber flintlock pistol that I would love to own (love at first sight), but none were for sale.

dave

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
My first time at the show.  I enjoyed it a lot.   Bought a couple items that I like a lot.
 Will be back next year if Lords willing to give me another year.
iloco

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
I have an old Muzzle Blasts magazine from the 80's that does a great cover article about Houston Harrisons copy of Davy Crocketts flintlock rifle. Mr. Harrison made a very fine bench copy along with detailed plans of this piece. The story of this rifles provenance and some good pictures of the original  that was restored by Hershall House were included as well.  I'm very sad to hear of Mr. Harrison's health problems. Wouldn't wish that dreaded Alzheimer's on my worst enemies!
Joel Hall

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
Dave......thanks for the pictures, some great stuff shown there.   I'm really saddened to hear about Houston,  a good friend.   In all
my years in this "industry" I have looked at so many good things.   Those scottish pistols have to be one of the most outstanding
things I have ever viewed.  They were chewed out of solid pieces of steel with inlaid silver and gold, he even made the barrels.  An
outstanding artisan..........Don

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
Until you are in direct daily contact with a person in an adult dementia
you will never know what it is to be upset,angry and a host of other
emotions. My mother was a supervisor for Bell Atlantic Communications
and at the end of her life,dementia had robbed her of anything remotely
resembling a memory of what she once was.Pray for Mr.Harrison and hope
this nightmare terminates quickly.

Bob Roller

Offline halfstock

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »
Bob: Several of us have had the misfortune to have to watch our loved ones go down that slippery slope and you are right it is an extremely painfull thing to have to watch, knowing the only thing you can do is pray and help comfort.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »
here were two other examples of Mr. Harrison's work on exhibit and both extremely well done. One, a little .40 caliber flintlock pistol that I would love to own (love at first sight), but none were for sale.

dave
This exhibit was on the table next to mine and I was astonished at the workmanship on both the Scotish pistols and the rifle laying beside it. I intended to take photos of both but forgot to do it. I talked with the man that had them, sorry but I forgot his name, and he told me the history of both. He said that Mr. Harrison made everything on the pistols including the very small flint locks. The rifle was a restock of a rifle owned by Shumway. The rifle had been in a fire and he had the buttstock of the original laying beside the restocked rifle. He said that Shumway packed up all the parts and set them to Mr Harrison and told him to do what he could with them. That rifle is absolutely gorgeous, shows outstanding workmanship!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
Dennis; I took photographs of the rifle and small pistol but my camera was more interested in focusing on the tabletop and not the objects so came out unusable. You are correct, that rifle (and the little pistol) are beyond compare.

dave

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
Another outstanding gathering of the Tennessee Rifle Clan!  Thanks for coordinating it Wayne.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
here were two other examples of Mr. Harrison's work on exhibit and both extremely well done. One, a little .40 caliber flintlock pistol that I would love to own (love at first sight), but none were for sale.

dave
This exhibit was on the table next to mine and I was astonished at the workmanship on both the Scotish pistols and the rifle laying beside it. I intended to take photos of both but forgot to do it. I talked with the man that had them, sorry but I forgot his name, and he told me the history of both. He said that Mr. Harrison made everything on the pistols including the very small flint locks. The rifle was a restock of a rifle owned by Shumway. The rifle had been in a fire and he had the buttstock of the original laying beside the restocked rifle. He said that Shumway packed up all the parts and set them to Mr Harrison and told him to do what he could with them. That rifle is absolutely gorgeous, shows outstanding workmanship!
Dennis

Was that an Armstrong rifle?

Offline art riser

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
Harrison's fine rifle will be on the Blog at some point.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »

dave
Dennis

Was that an Armstrong rifle?
James,
I am pretty sure it was. My memory is not the best these days but I am pretty sure that is what he called it. I just remember it was fantastic and I would bet money it looked far better than it did before the fire.
Dennis

Offline PPatch

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 10:27:46 PM »
Correct, an Armstrong. One could still see the outline of the original relief carving on the burnt buttstock and in a side-by-side comparison you could see that Mr. Harrison matched it perfectly.

eagle24

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »
Great show!  Thanks Wayne for the fantastic job you and your wife do!

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 03:40:13 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind comments about the Tennessee Kentucky Rifle show.  It would not work nearly as well as it does if it were not for a lot of folks who help: my wife, Boo; Randal and Linda Pierce; Andy Mock; Barbara and Buford Blanton, to mention a few.  This year displays included a David Crockett rifle, the tribute to Houston Harrison mentioned above, and a tribute to Gary Brumfield that Wallace Gusler put on. 

Next year's show, Lord willing, is set for April 11-12, 2014.  So mark your calendars!

Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott