Author Topic: Southern Hospitality!  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Southern Hospitality!
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »
Possible G W Hatfield rifle.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:39:43 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Joe Schell

Re: Southern Hospitality!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »
Looks more like Washington Hatfield than Robert Hughes to me.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:28:59 AM by Joe Schell »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:53:34 PM »
Joe,  Where was he from?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
Indiana. But i dont remember if he was born there or came from somewhere else, i'll have to look it up.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
Were the others you've seen also iron mounted?

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
Rob,
Has this found a home at your place? Nice rifle.
Buck

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:58:23 AM »
A very nice rifle, but I don't get the"Hughes" attribution.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:58:38 AM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
The owner picked hughes based on the sideplate and iron mounts but I like hatfield after
seeing the pics Joe sent me. The trigger guard is unique and just like hatfield. Thanks Joe. 

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »
Your welcome. After doin some readin it looks like he was born in 1813 in Tennessee and moved to Greene county Indiana in 1831, & lived till 1884

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »
That explains the mounts

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
Is there any chance we can see a picture of the nose cap on this rifle? Washington Harfield made a nifty "herring bone" style cast cap on most of his known rifles. Shelby Gallien

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
Shelby. What documentation exists confirming Wash made rifles other than the family story of the similar rifle with arrow that was published. I need to convince a doubting thomas who owns the rifle

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
Several signed rifles by Washington Hatfield exist, at least two photographs exist of him holding a distinctive Hatfield rifle, and several period references to him being a gunsmith, document his occupation. He signed his guns and other items with "W H" in block letters, little punch marks at the end of each long cut in the signature. He also made knives and other blacksmith-related items. His nose caps were distinctive, thus the request to see the cap on this rifle. I have never seen a Hatfield rifle...and I've handled several...as decorated as this one, and most guns were stocked in walnut, so I'd go slow on attributing this gun to Hatfield until we can get full coverage of all its details, including muzzle cap, tang, rear ramrod pipe, wear plate, and closer pictures of guard and from underside of guard. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:48:19 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »
Thank you Shelby.  I'll try to get more photos for you to see.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »
Here you go Shelby.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
Rob,
What's the size of the hole underneath the wear plate?
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »
A big hole.