Author Topic: Chunk Guns!!!!!  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Chunker119

Chunk Guns!!!!!
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:41:11 AM »
I'm an information junky and would like to see others chunk gun set-ups. Any info would be great and pictures are even better! Practices, tools, tips or anything from the gun to the ramrod would be appreciated.  ;D

Thanks,
MM119
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline Kermit

Re: Chunk Guns!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:28:49 AM »
Jeff sold me this one. I don't have my own pix, but it still looks about the same.

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/2011/03/underhammer-chunkin.html

Quite the monster. Post hip replacement, it's a heavy bench gun. As they say, gettin' old ain't for sissies.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »

This rifle weighs 17 pounds 12 ounces.
50 caliber 1 1/4" X 44"  barrel.

Dan
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:16:14 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
Yup - them heavy scratchlocks is cheatin' guns. ;) That's mighty fine shooting, Dan. It would be EXCELLENT even without that Wyoming wind.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:19:26 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »
Dan, that's real nice.  When you designed the rifle, did you take into consideration the butt stock architecture?  For example, my offhand rifle weighs 10 pounds in .50 cal. and is very comfortable to shoot, but shoot it prone, and it beats my cheek to pulp.  The same goes for my Kuntz .40 cal.  This rifle weighs 8 1/2 pounds, and is very pleasant to shoot offhand with 65 - 85 grains 3Fg.  But shoot it prone over a chunk - ouch!

So is it weight alone that makes the difference?  Or is there something in the drop at comb and at heel that makes the difference?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:31:18 PM »
Taylor,
Definitely differences, as I'm certain, you know. My chunk gun has a high comb that puts my eye in line with my sights in a prone position, so as not to have to raise my head to see my sights, and my butt is a straight shotgun type of plate. I've found that if the rifle stands straight up when it is sitting on the butt, it recoils straight back and doesn't slap you in the cheek. An offhand rifle, as you said, would have a concave butt plate but also a lower comb. IMHO.
Mark
Mark

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »
This is my target rifle for offhand use, which was rushed out and put into use for the York Shoot also, so I guess it is a "chunk gun", though light and short.  36"L 1 1/8 inch .40 cal. GM w/patent breech and late Ketland lock (plus convertible to percussion for extremely soggy episodes).  It has 1/2" risers (to compensate for less drop in the comb) under the (Swiss globe) front and (shaded) rear sights -- that was for offhand but it worked very well for chunk also.  ~13 1/2 pounds.

I found that I enjoyed chunk shooting immensely.  If I that continues to be the case, I will either fit a longer barrel (preferably in a .50 cal.) to the stock and breech or build a dedicated rifle for it.  This stock design works out very well for chunk -- the BP is somewhat wide and not excessively curved, and the grip on the TG is almost like a pistol grip in use.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:58:19 AM by bgf »

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:30:45 AM »
BGF nice looking riflegun you have there.How is the rear shader held on? How long have you been going to the York shoot ?I've missed about four years since it started and hope to make a bunch more . We drive down from the middle of the mitten here in Michigan . I had a good string this year and finished in the 22 nd. place.

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 04:45:22 AM »
MFlinter,
Thanks -- my posting was more in the vein of shoot what you got :)!  The shader is held on with two pins on either end that run through the riser block (the shader has holes that they sort of "click" into) and a screw in the middle to keep it snug.  It was intended for offhand use (rather than the full-length shader chunk guns seem to have) and could be removed easily if anyone objected to it (for some type of primitive match, for example).  Probably more than you wanted to know, but the idea came from a rifle in the ALR museum with a funny hole spacing on the barrel and trying to imagine what might have gone there.

The York was my first ever chunk shoot, except for one practice session with a friend (who went down there with me from KY).  The rifle had been shot twice before (including the proofing!) and never off the newly finished chunk and cant block, so I was very happy to be in the burger at 86 :).  My friend got best X on one of the matches, though, so I got to associate with greatness at least.  I intend to shoot a lot more chunk shoots -- it was even more fun that I expected and the pace is perfect for me.

dagner

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
  most top chunk gun shooters  run 20 to 32 lbs.  the hot set up right now that most top shoooters are shooting is griffith  1 1/2 inch flats  56 inches long  50 cal barrel    bead front sight  bowers undehammer  action  or 1/2 stock with  drum.nipple hole coned  or  a 3/8  hole drum  they run around 31 lbs,  5/16 stainless rod for loading  wood rod  with scrapper..490 or  .495 hornady ball  .020 teflon patch  .490 dry .495 drop of water on teflon  100 to 115 grains of 2ff swiss or 100 frains of 3ff swiss. marks buddy neal had a spalleded hard  maple stump that has made some insanely colored and striped bowers underhammer  stocks. a few ultra fancy walnut around -wayne jenkins   seconf favorite out their 1 3/8 flats 52 long barrel same loads. have been seeing 2 and 3 scores in the low to mid 3s in matches now charlie bowers holds recordswith around a 2.4 and dave krumme had old record with 2.57. end of last year and this years saw krumme with 1.9 to 2.0 threw 8 shots with mark - neal -mike and tom right their also.would not be suppried to see record fall this year.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
Dan, that's real nice.  When you designed the rifle, did you take into consideration the butt stock architecture?  For example, my offhand rifle weighs 10 pounds in .50 cal. and is very comfortable to shoot, but shoot it prone, and it beats my cheek to pulp.  The same goes for my Kuntz .40 cal.  This rifle weighs 8 1/2 pounds, and is very pleasant to shoot offhand with 65 - 85 grains 3Fg.  But shoot it prone over a chunk - ouch!

So is it weight alone that makes the difference?  Or is there something in the drop at comb and at heel that makes the difference?

Its styled after Dickert  RCA 48 because I liked the rifle and the buttstock design in particular. I raised the top of the wrist/tang area to accommodate the 1 1/4" barrel other than that its pretty similar to the original.  It has a 3/16 web and 3/8 rod hole and I tried to maintain the same bottom lines to the stock. I suspect that finished I have between 3/32 and 1/16 of wood covering the RR hole.
This is how it was drawn out and I hit all the lines and the rod hole is exactly as drawn.

I think purely for strength due to the weight the web could be deeper and this may be why some such as the Zorger cited below have heavy stocks.  SPGs Boyer has a really heavy stock as well. Increasing the web makes the entire stock deeper.  As a result of raising the wrist tang area I am sure it have slightly more drop at the heel than the original. But it works well off a plank rest, I have not shot it prone so far but anticipate no difficulty.  The comb being close to parallel to the bore always helps.
Nor have  I tried shooting it offhand but its seems doable if I don't hold it too long and use a Schuetzen stance. But would have to do pushups for a couple of months to get in shape for more than a few shots I think ;D The normal load is 109 gr of FFF Swiss.
I have a lighter weight version in planning but things keep interfering with me getting the current project done so its on the back burner. Was supposed to be at least started by now.... Wanted the lighter one by Oct-Nov  ::)
I basically built this to counter the typical iron mounted "chunk" gun. Not all heavy rifles of the past were plain or crude. There are two heavy FL match rifles in Kindig #124 Zorger and #139 Klinedinst attributed. Both are carved and engraved.
I suspect that heavy rifles might might have been fairly common even in the FL era based on the fact that there was quite a bit of rest shooting done since offhand was thought to be a "poor test of the rifle". Charles Johnson was captured off a flatboat in 1790 while traveling to Kentucky and stated in part:

So apparently someone in Kentucky had ordered an "uncommonly heavy" rifle barrel in 1790.
But like many heavy barreled Sharps I suspect they fell from use due to the weight. Many heavy BPCRs of the 1870s-80s for example have had the barrels chopped to reduce the weight to 8-10 pounds after the need for the heavy heat sink had passed.
It takes a dedicated competition shooter to even want a LR this heavy I suspect that many may have gone to WW-I or even WW-II scrap drives as their lighter brothers did.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Paul Griffith

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 03:19:24 AM »
Keep in mind also that chunkers will want to be an inch or so longer pull than offhand rifles. Longer barrels have the advantage of a longer sight radius of course. However some of the best strings shot to date have been done with 48" barrels so they don't have to be stretched out into the 50s neccessarily.  A lot of 50 cals these days. Personally I feel that recoil becomes an issue with the .54 or larger & the 40s & 45s are a bit more susceptable to the wind.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:20:44 AM by 1Chunker »

dagner

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
 1 chunker  that sure does look like a paul griffith made  gun