Author Topic: a Winter's shoot  (Read 8821 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
a Winter's shoot
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:02:54 PM »
Here are a few pics of a Winter's shoot we just had this weekend past. Out behind my friend Steve's house. This was an informal get together, and surprisingly, only flinters showed up. Once we got going, though, we heard several neighbors start up their M1's just to show solidarity.

Here is Eric von Aschewege, with his virgin Lehigh, just about to see if he can hit the barn.

Jesse Curran, Acer Sapling, does his best to hold up the tradition.

Ignition! Eric's guns are inside coned, very fast ignition, and just about right on with his sights. First time he ever shot these guns. What a great day.

Steve, our kind and generous host, poking away at the the target. We had plastic milk jugs filled with water, and some paper targets, and some assorted junk to shoot at.

Roger Vincent, looong time shootin buddy and friend. Shooting his .58 Vincent rifle. Very pretty fruitwood stock, nicely carved. Roger, his son Caleb, and his rifle are in the Dixon's group photo I posted in building a few days ago. He and Caleb come every year to the Fair.

Eric with his pistol. .535 roundball, .02 patch, 30 gr FFg. Kick like horse, where ball go?
In this shot, note the pan igniting, and the next photo.......

Fire! Note that Eric still held onto the pistol.

Jesse just had to try everything out, including the trampoline.

Toward the end of the shoot, the sun was sinking, and the heat of the day had left early. My finger and ears had gotten so cold, I was struggling to get my earplugs out, and they seemed really stuck or frozen in my ears. "Steve" what's going on here?" as I pull on the plug....."is this caught n my ear hair or what?" "No, Tom, you're pulling on your earlobe, try a little higher."

We were pretty well frozen, so we threw the dirty rifles in the car, and headed home to hot chicken soup, tea, and apple pie. This was a great fun day, a lot of laughs had by all, and no targets got suffered too badly. A great way to have a little fun in the middle of winter.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 08:20:58 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Harnic

Re: a Winter's shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »
Great pix Tom!  Looks like all had fun!  It's nice to see spring-like conditions again... we are buried under 3-4 feet of the white stuff now so shooting requires either snowshoes or a lot of shovelling.  Oh well, a good time to cast balls, cut patches & make sure everything is in good repair for spring.  Thanks for sharing!

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »
Great pictures Tom - looks like a BLAST!  'Lot' nicer than our group photo. Really nice to see the youngsters - and oldsters out shooting.

As a side note, my little flint pistol, using the .53 barrel and shooting a .526" ball with .020" patch uses 50gr. of 3F - I thought the recoil was really soft, compared to my M29.  The ballistics are similar, though.

deertracker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:55:48 AM »
I really enjoyed the pictures. Thanks for sharing. You look like a group that would be right at home at a  primitive biathlon [hint, hint]!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:03:42 AM »
Snowshoes? I have some. Skis, too.

I don't have the nifty blankie style get ups that the Canadians seem to be born in. I do like the look of the black and red blanket coat against the spruce and hemlock of the deep and wild Canadian wilderness.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:20:29 AM »
Thanks for the post!  Good to see Eric out there burning powder!!     Finally!

Funny thing a few years ago I accused Roger Vincent's son of being Eric A at Dixons!

Boy was I confused, no wonder young Vincent looked at me as if I was nuts! ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:02:22 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
Whoa that was fun!  Now I'm going to HAVE to join the local range no matter what the membership fees are. 

The sights need to be tuned, but I was surprised how accurate the guns were right off the bat.  Neither Lehigh's bit my cheek at all.  They're only 40 and 45, but were really comfortable to shoot.  With several rounds through the 45, I traded with Tom (.54), and then Roger's .58... a lot more kick! 

I've got to get myself a good hat like this...

Thanks again Tom for having me over. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
Whoa that was fun!  Now I'm going to HAVE to join the local range no matter what the membership fees are. 

The sights need to be tuned, but I was surprised how accurate the guns were right off the bat.  Neither Lehigh's bit my cheek at all.  They're only 40 and 45, but were really comfortable to shoot.  With several rounds through the 45, I traded with Tom (.54), and then Roger's .58... a lot more kick! 

I've got to get myself a good hat like this...

Thanks again Tom for having me over. 
-Eric
I think ol Tom will realize he has his jag bottom edge too sharp since he's got his patch up on the rod.... ;D ;D   Maybe he's working to hard on that fancy Jaeger we are all waiting to see and drool over!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:59:42 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Yes, Eric, that was a hum-dinger of a day. Fun was had by all. I wrote your mom to thank her for the pecans, and she said you must have had a good time since you would stop talking for two days straight.

Roger and Caleb Vincent went home stuffed with apple pie. Have not heard from them since.

Cut patch: I was using the patch on the jag to push the ball down. I noticed that the Wonder lube was congealing/freezing to the muzzle, and I thought that wasn't going to be doing much for accuracy. So I switched to spit patch, and ramming the ball down with a patched jag to spread the fouling and goobers out evenly. I think the patch just gave out after so many shots.

Those half mittens are a Christmas present from Wendy, my girlfriend. I can shoot, eat and engrave with the mitts, and stay warm, too.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:02:31 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:28:22 AM »
Great pictures.  Thanks for sharing! :)  Just wants to make you get out and burn some powder, doesn't it! :)

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »
About fingerless mittens. Some of the stores here sell fingerless gloves, some sell fingerless gloves with a 'finger pouch' that can be flipped up and stuck to a Velcro patch to keep it out of the way - for fishing, shooting, etc, like fishing or shooting. That way, the finger section can be flipped down to reheat the fingers.  These are made of fairly heavy wool with a thinsulate lining.  I've used all these types over the years, but keep losing them to the kids.  Daughter #1 made the blue ones for me. They leave only the thumb, index and second finger proud.  Nice for fishing in inclement (freezing) weather for steelhead. I'm going to try them for shooting this weekend.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:05:00 PM by Daryl »

Harnic

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:03:44 PM »
Those half mittens are a Christmas present from Wendy, my girlfriend. I can shoot, eat and engrave with the mitts, and stay warm, too.

Ha!  If you hadn't said anything Tom, I was thinking your sweater had very long sleeves!  I wish Daryl, Taylor & the rest of the Prince George crew & I were closer.  It'd be a lot of fun to spend a day like that with you folks!  Thanks again for the stories & pictures.  Glad to see Eric out & about having a "blast"!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »

Ha!  If you hadn't said anything Tom, I was thinking your sweater had very long sleeves!  I wish Daryl, Taylor & the rest of the Prince George crew & I were closer.  It'd be a lot of fun to spend a day like that with you folks!  Thanks again for the stories & pictures.  Glad to see Eric out & about having a "blast"!
Your on the mark alright about wishing we were not so far apart in miles so we could go shootin and harass each other.    Maybe in a perfect world or the next one!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »
Yes, Eric, that was a hum-dinger of a day. Fun was had by all. I wrote your mom to thank her for the pecans, and she said you must have had a good time since you would stop talking for two days straight.

Roger and Caleb Vincent went home stuffed with apple pie. Have not heard from them since.

Cut patch: I was using the patch on the jag to push the ball down. I noticed that the Wonder lube was congealing/freezing to the muzzle, and I thought that wasn't going to be doing much for accuracy. So I switched to spit patch, and ramming the ball down with a patched jag to spread the fouling and goobers out evenly. I think the patch just gave out after so many shots.

Far be it from me to P     on anyone's parade; but a heads up on the woolen mitts
fingerless or otherwise.   A near miss that I had couple winter's ago.   Shooting a w walk and reloading at next station I had my rifle in crook of my left arm and had measure in left hand and was beginning to pour powder from my horn into the measure.  I caught sight of smoke coming up from behind my gloved hand.  This did jar me a tad to say the least.  My woolen fingerless glove was smouldering on fire.   Bad part was we were standing fairly close together.  Needless to say I no longer use the woolies!!  I do use leather gloves and simply shove the un needed glove into my canvas frock above my beltand when needed shove it back on.  It goes to show near misses only count in horseshoe throwing and grenades.   Said fire caused by the flash on ignition at an earlier station! Whew!

There has to be someone up 'there' watching out for we old fools ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:26:00 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 06:24:34 AM »
Great pictures - and that's pretty country Tom!    You guys all looked like you had a blast.  Good stuff!

Very cool looking rifle Mr. Eric Von A!  Well done!  I'm jealous.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Harnic

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »
Your on the mark alright about wishing we were not so far apart in miles so we could harass each other.   

Anyone else notice a theme here from our pal Roger?  He seems to have an evil side to him!  ;)

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »
  but a heads up on the woolen mitts
fingerless or otherwise.   A near miss that I had couple winter's ago.   Shooting a w walk and reloading at next station I had my rifle in crook of my left arm and had measure in left hand and was beginning to pour powder from my horn into the measure.  I caught sight of smoke coming up from behind my gloved hand.  This did jar me a tad to say the least.  My woolen fingerless glove was smouldering on fire.   Bad part was we were standing fairly close together.  Needless to say I no longer use the woolies!!  I do use leather gloves and simply shove the un needed glove into my canvas frock above my beltand when needed shove it back on.  It goes to show near misses only count in horseshoe throwing and grenades.   Said fire caused by the flash on ignition at an earlier station! Whew!

There has to be someone up 'there' watching out for we old fools ;)

Good caution note, Roger - When holding the rifle just in front of the lock, catching ones. mittens on fire is a real danger when afterwards handling an unstoppered horn :o.  I've yet to scorch a glove or mitten, but then, I hold mine farther out, at the entry pipe.  With the 1/2 stock and short forend, I find myself holding closer to the lock - good warning!

Offline sonny

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
oh that rodger......he's sooo smart......he he he.....sonny