Author Topic: Loads for 12 ga. I need some help ??  (Read 2851 times)

2lookindown

Loads for 12 ga. I need some help ??
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:14:44 AM »
I'm goin turkey huntin in the morning... I  barrowed a double barreled 12 ga. percussion gun made in Italy by Pedersoli ... I think that's what it says ?? Imported to Richland Arms Co. Blissfield Mich.

What would be a safe load for this gun ?? It looks to be sound and in good shape...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:48:08 AM by 2lookindown »

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Loads for 12 ga. I need some help ??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:48:24 AM »
Looking at the data in an old Lyman Blk Pwder Handbook, a kind of average 12 gauge load is 89 gr of 2Fg and 1-1/8 oz of shot, with a 1/8" overpowder wad, a .500" fiber wad and an overshot card,yields 1220 fps mv.   If you don't have those cards & wads, take a look at   http://www.caywoodguns.com/working_up_turkey_loads_for_opti.htm    and that might give you some ideas for substituting.   BTW, the Lyman book gives loads up to 102 gr 2Fg and 1-1/2 oz of shot for 12 ga.

Good hunting.

2lookindown

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »
SCLoyalist, I have all the fixins just needed a recipe... Thanks for a starting point and an ending point...

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
2look,
Having a recipe that "may" shoot well in your gun is one thing, knowing that it will when facing an animal is quite another. You need to postpone your hunt until you try any load and know that it patterns, where you want it to, before you hit the woods. We have a responsibility to the game we hunt to do it ethically and responsibly. Three different guns are likely to shoot differently with the same load. Shooting holes in paper is one thing, turkeys are a living breathing resource.
Mark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
"ditto" on Marks note -  the place to start, is at the start, ie: 2 1/2 drams and 1 ounce, then test pattern at the maximum range you might need, then increase both shot and powder in increments up, to max. book specs until you find a load that will work for you, in that gun. With a double, it is common to have one barrel outshoot the other as to range (pattern quality).

Working up a load for a shotgun can be just as tedius as working up a load for a rifle - sometimes even more difficult. Much depends on whether the gun is choked or not - condition of the bores, etc and quality of materials,wads used. 

With open chokes, some guys only use the overshot wads between powder and shot, as the thin lightweight disks may disrupt the patterns less than heavier wads.
With a choke, the best patterns are usually found with normal wad columns, overpowder, then fibre,  then shot, then overshot disk wad. Some guys soak or wet the fibre wad with Neetsfoot Oil - while some shoot dry.

Track sells lubed wads and these work fairly well in my 20 bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V