Author Topic: RCA 77 Patch box  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
RCA 77 Patch box
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:58:15 AM »
I am starting on the patch box for a rifle inspired by RCA 77, a Joel Ferree rifle.  Has any one seen this rifle in the flesh?  Does any one know how the side plates are held on at each end?  There is just one screw in the center of each side plate.  I figure that the hinge end of the side plate probably has a hook that goes under the hinge tube of the finial, like the Dickert patchbox.  But I can't see any form of attachment at the butt plate end.  I can invent something - but I was curious if any one out there in ALR land actually KNEW how Ferree kept the butt end of the side plates from popping out.

Thanks for reading.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Tom Currie

Re: RCA 77 Patch box
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:21:53 AM »
John, Could he have soldered on a 90 degree lug at the butt end of the side plates and pin them into the stock under the buttplate ? I've looked it over as close as I can and find no evidence of pinning which doesn't make sense if he used a screw in the middle. What's your guess ?

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »
The ends of the  Pbox side plates could be dovetailed into the inside edge of the Bplate...noticed that the Bplate edge is not as wide in the  length of the side plattes....more so w/ the upper side plate. .....Fred

Offline Long John

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
Based upon the overwhelming response I started cutting out the brass last night.  My first try will be to make a slender brass tab at the back end of each sideplate, in the shape of a square-angled hook, that will be let into the endgrain of the butt and then enter a hole drilled into the butt endgrain.  The side plates will be installed first, sliding forward into position and then rotated slightly to drop down into their respective inlets.  The front end will be retained with a Dickert-style hook under the hinge tube.  The center screw will prevent any upward bowing.  We shall see how this works!

Thanks for your consideration of my query.

John Cholin

keweenaw

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »
Some of the patch boxes from that period were from cast brass so the side plates may simply be thick enough that it's not going to matter.  A slight upward arch in the plate would pull down with the screw and the butt will stay down.

Tom

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
John,
Here is my version of the Ferree patchbox.  I used my engraving chisel and a 3 corner file to make a beveled slot in the buttplate above and below the patchbox lid.  I then cut a matching bevel on the rear of each of the patchbox side panels that fits into the slots made in the buttplate.   I cut a bevel on the front ends of each side panel and a matching bevel under the hinge in the corrosponding spot that lines up with the side panels.  Assembly is easy, install each side panel into its inlet and screw into place.  install the patchbox finial and lid.  Install the buttplate captivating each sideplate bevel into its corrosponding slot in the buttplate.  Hope this helps.
David

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:32:54 PM by David Rase »

Offline Long John

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for your insight.  That is an option I identified as possible but figured using the butt wood might be easier.  Perhaps I'll have to reconsider.   There are definite advantages to morticing the butt plate.   I left enough extra brass on the side plates to accomodate either approach.

Your replication of this rifle looks super.  It is a goal I will aspire towards.

Thanks again,

Best Regards,

John Cholin