Author Topic: Pipe making and annealing brass  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Pipe making and annealing brass
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »
I have been practicing pipe making, specifically working on different techniques to make the product better and especially to improve the method so it is more uniform and easier to do.  One area I am questioning is annealing?  I seem to be over heating the material with my Mepp torch and wondered how you might be annealing the multiple times required to form the entry pip in particular?

Offline T*O*F

Re: Pipe making and annealing brass
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
I seem to be over heating the material
Jerry,
It is only necessary to heat to a dull red apparent in low light.  If it's sunny or highly lit, this could be the source of your problem.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Bernard

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:13:07 PM »
I'v never had a problem heating brass too hot unless it drops off. to anneal it you have to plunge it into water when it's still red hot. this can be done repeatedly but to form a pipe you should"t have to anneal the material more than the initial time to make it workable.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »
Jerry,

TOF is spot on with his advice.  One trick I have seen you can use in bright light is to soot your brass with a candle or lamp, then heat with a torch until the soot disappears.  Brass will anneal weather you air cool it or quench it.  I usually quench it just so I don't accidentally touch it while it is HOT.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

mattdog

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »
A propane torch is plenty hot enough to anneal thin brass used on pipes, trigg. guards, etc.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
Also, there's a lot of crappy "brass" out there that doesn't anneal well at all.

I haven't had any trouble with the sheet brass I've bought, but I wonder if maybe you have something that isn't really brass.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
  Dull red. Air cool or quench. Over heating can cause  the zinc to begin separating, and make blotchy looking spots.