Author Topic: cla baker  (Read 3069 times)

ole one shot

cla baker
« on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
I have an interesting Tennessee mountain with cla baker engraved on the barrel any ideas on which baker did Tennessee mountains?

JBW

Re: cla baker
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »
The only Baker gunsmiths I located in TN were
J. E. Bailey. gunsmith. 1861, Nashville [City Dir]. Bailey produced a “gunsmith’s ordnance manual” for the State of Tennessee in 1861 [Samuel Dold Morgan Papers].

Isaac Baker (1757-). gunsmith. He died January 1818 in Greene County, Tennessee. He married Hannah Houston 1780 in Greene County, Tennessee, daughter of James Houston and Agnes Wilson. She was born about 1760 in Augusta County, Virginia, and died in October 1826 in Greene County, Tennessee. Isaac Baker was long thought to be the son of John "Renta" & Elizabeth (Terrill) Baker. In the summer of 2001, DNA tests conducted with a large group of Baker males, proved that there was no connection.

John Renty Baker. Baker probably belongs more to Kentucky than to Tennessee. Baker  and his sons were all gunsmiths. They built hand operated machines to cut the rifle barrels. John Renty's father, Robert Baker, built Kentucky rifles. John Renty Baker was known as one of the Long Hunters, spending more than a year at a time in the forests of Tennessee and Kentucky trapping and hunting. John Baker hunted with Daniel Boone's brother-in-law, John Stewart. He lived on the Green River among the Cherokees in what is now Kentucky and made trips down the Cumberland River to Spanish Natchez to sell their furs. After the death of his wife, John Renty Baker became a recluse and lived in a rockhouse near the mouth of Buffalo Creek and died there in 1820. He fathered at least 21 children that are documented [The Conquest of the Old Southwest].

Sellers does not list any one close although that's not surprising as there were few oublished souerces on TN gunsmiths for him to copy.

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:49:45 AM »
Couldn't find anything on a cla baker, but there were quite a few bakers listed that were gunsmiths.  That being said, is there a particular reason that you feel that the rifle was made in Tennessee?  I have handled quite a few rifles that "looked" like they would be from Tennessee but were made in other areas.  There were bakers working in North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, along with other areas that could have easily produced a Tennessee looking rifle.  Pictures of the rifle would be a great help to try to determine where it may have been made.

ole one shot

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:46 AM »
The rifle was rebuilt poorly in 1985 in Nebraska with what looked like an old juker stock and almost completely demolished when I got it a month ago. As a builder for over 40 years I can tell you that all the hardware on this rebuild is an original Tennessee rifle made of pig iorn complete with the lollipop tang.....trigger is a set Tennessee also is close to some of Beans work but the barrel is a swamped conversion signed  with a mishap cla then a circle of crosses then Baker. Maybe before conversion some one used an old baker flint on this Tennessee, but that's just it I personally have never heard of cla baker. After tracking the genes from Pennsylvania Bakers and and hundreds of names I can only come up with Clay Baker of South Carolina who was not a builder......I will try to post pics tomorrow......thanks for the word!