Author Topic: earliest Virginia rifles  (Read 18840 times)

Mike R

Re: earliest Virginia rifles
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
I am interested in who would have rifles as opposed to smoothbores, and how they would know about and obtain rifles, given that the English culture was not as rifle oriented as the German culture in the late 1600's to early 1700's.  Let's assume for the sake of discussion that it would be those persons who were trading or surveying in the interior. We can use Squire Boone as one example, but that is 1740's, and I am sure that by then many were aware of the capability of rifles because they were in use in European conflicts. 

At earlier dates, it's still a big mystery to me as to how a person would decide they needed a rifle, then how they would go about obtaining one.  Could not go over to Cabela's.  Perhaps there would have to be enough demand to induce some trader to bring some rifles among a shipment of arms, or someone would have to own or obtain a rifle in Europe and bring it here when they immigrated.

Is it possible that some traders or diplomats were trying to "one-up" the competition with the Native Americans and offered selected "chiefs" rifle guns to compete with "chief's grade" fusils?  Just speculating.  I assume the Native Americans were always looking for ways to achieve military superiority over traditional and new enemies while keeping casualties to a minimum. A rifle might be the ticket.

One source quoted in Rose's book says that the Chickasaw way over near what is now Memphis Tenn on the Miss River had rifles as early as 1736. Others have speculated that the Indians were more widely armed with rifles earlier than the white colonists.  These early rifles could have been similar to the trade fusils that they were used to, except with rifled barrels--thus leading to the widespread use of very long-barreled rifles which may have influenced early colonial rifle makers?  I know Pete Alexander has put this suggestion forward as well as others...another source says that the Delaware and Shawnee were mainly armed with rifles by the 1750s.  These groups were close to the PA gunmaking regions.  It is a shame no dated piece from these early periods survive, so we can only speculate. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:08:58 PM by Mike R »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Let's hope maybe there are a few lurking in collections or attics out there that have maybe not been identified or recognized for what they are yet...it only takes one such discovery to make us all rethink our concepts of how things were.

As a sidenote, Eric Kettenburg's website has a lot of information from the Moravian gunshop records - there is an entry to them stocking a rifle for a "Shawanoe" (Shawnee) chief in 1755.

Guy

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »
     I've always wondered what effect the Civil War had on Virginia rifles and Southern guns in general.  By far and away, there are more surviving guns attributed to Northern builders than what are attributed to guns built in the South.  I would think that disarming the local population would be something an occupying army would want to do, it certainly is today.  This could account for many "missing" guns.  I've read accounts where the Army of the Potomac used captured arms to corduroy roads.  Also, many towns and villages shipped records to Richmond for safe keeping during the war, which were mostly destroyed when the city fell in 1865.

I've just always thought it strange that a Colony with the first permanent English settlement (Jamestown 1607), a good share of Germanic people (and others), and a rich colonial history wouldn't have produced more builders and rifles like we see coming out of an area like Christian Springs, as an example.  There's the Klette rifle from Stevensburg that I always felt was similar to what we would think of as an early gun, but was most likely built around the Rev. War, or later.  A big difference is the impact of the Civil War on Virginia, and the southern states in general.  Just a thought...

Ed
Ed Wenger

J.D.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 10:07:01 PM »

One source quoted in Rose's book says that the Chickasaw way over near what is now Memphis Tenn on the Miss River had rifles as early as 1736. Others have speculated that the Indians were more widely armed with rifles earlier than the white colonists.  These early rifles could have been similar to the trade fusils that they were used to, except with rifled barrels--thus leading to the widespread use of very long-barreled rifles which may have influenced early colonial rifle makers?  I know Pete Alexander has put this suggestion forward as well as others...another source says that the Delaware and Shawnee were mainly armed with rifles by the 1750s.  These groups were close to the PA gunmaking regions.  It is a shame no dated piece from these early periods survive, so we can only speculate. 

One such piece, often displayed by Wallace Gusler,  does have that trade fusil look.
Gusler suggests that this gun was made in the mid 1760's, or so, and it does have the look and feel of a trade fusil.

Just thought I would throw that out for comment by those who are more knowledgeable than myself. ;)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »
That's the "feather" gun with architecture similar to the type G trade gun.  It's a beauty and could be 1760's.  Or 1780's.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 04:01:03 AM »
"I've always wondered what effect the Civil War had on Virginia rifles and Southern guns in general.  By far and away, there are more surviving guns attributed to Northern builders than what are attributed to guns built in the South.  I would think that disarming the local population would be something an occupying army would want to do, it certainly is today."

This notion of the war being responsible for the lack of surviving Southern rifles doesn't sit well with me.  Don't get me wrong, it makes sense, and I know there many who can remember passed-down stories about yanks smashing, bending and otherwise mutilating rifles.  However, if this is so, they only selectively destroyed the early pieces?  It is not hard at all to find southern rifles ca. 1800-1860.  In fact there have to be AT LEAST as many of those floating around as mid-atlantic and NE arms.  So unless we accept selective destruction of only early pieces, something doesn't jibe.  I'd be more inclined to believe that southerners joining-up to fight who needed arms took along the oldest, crappiest pieces in the family  so if captured, killed or the pieces was otherwise lost, no real hardship (the loss of gun, not person...)  OR maybe the earliest pieces were used harder in the South and were 'used up.'  Or maybe more import English pieces were used to begin with, as opposed to home production, and thus they cannot be recognized as 'southern' arms.

There does seem to be a good amount of info, lifted from articles within the PA Gazette, to indicate that the natives were arming themselves w/ rifles fairly early on.  Where were they getting them?  Up ehre in the north, in 1763, the Northampton Co. was feeling the heat and the natives were restless, there is a huge hue and cry for arms; letter from Allen's Town stating only a few guns, only one fit for use?  Huh?  Arms needed for defense of Bethlehem?  What?  There certainly were gunmakers in the county already, both Moravian and non-Moravian.  So who were they working for if the dirt-poor German farmers couldn't afford arms?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 05:54:04 AM »
    Eric, you bring up a good point and I hear ya.  And I agree a number of guns from the 1800-1860 time frame are out there.  I also think, and I may be way off base here, an awful lot of them are of the Sheetz and Sell variety, or otherwise attributed to western Virginia and what is now West Virginia.  All of that area was very pro-Union. 

Again, I just find it really hard to believe that gun making wasn't taking place in Virginia (or any of the other Colonies) like it was in Pennsylvania during the same time period.  After living in Virginia for almost twenty years (born and raised in PA) it still fascinates me how pervasive the war was and how it effected the area.  I've found Union belt buckles, cartridge box buckles, buttons, and any number of Minnie balls on our land.  The Army of the Potomac had a huge supply base four miles from our place.  Mosby and his boys attacked Union forces at various places all over the County.  I guess what I'm saying is the Northern presence was huge.  And I don't think there was a selective destruction of weapons, I feel it was more wholesale.  You just don't find too many rifles from the Piedmont and other areas fairly well populated during the 1750's, and ravaged some one hundred years later by the war.  Now I'm rambling....but you get my drift...I'll shut up.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
There's a lot of good points being brought up here.  I think I might have missed something in the thread though - to my knowledge there are no surviving rifles from anywhere in America that are confirmed to have been made here and pre-date the 1760s, are there?  So I  guess I just don't see any great disparity between the survivial rate of early Pennsylvania rifles vs. Virginia rifles when we are talking about only a handful of documented pre-1770 examples of American longrifles regardless of where they came from. 

I think there are a couple of paths going in this thread.  "Virginia" longrifles, and possible rifle use in Virginia in the early (pre-1700) colonial period, regardless of where they might have been made.

When you look at the demographics of the earliest settlers (mostly English - the Germans mostly came after 1700), the nature of the earliest settlements (plantations, indentured servants, etc.) and consider that many of the common folks arriving in Virginia in the early to mid 1600s had probably never handled a firearm of any sort before coming over here, much less a rifle, my hunch is that early rifles in Virginia (again I mean pre-1700) would have been brought over or imported by the wealthy or soldiers, as Gary pointed out, and based on the heavy continental influence you see in English sporting guns in the late 1600s, I would suspect that something sort of Jaeger-like would have been seen, even if it came from England.  For pre-1650, I have no idea what that gun might have looked like.  I have never seen an English rifle of that era, so I have no idea, but perhaps someone on here who knows a lot about very early English firearms  could give us an idea.  Or would a continental made rifle have shown up in Jamestown?  I guess it could have.

I think the whole idea of the Indian trade and its impact on growth of the rifle making culture is fascinating.  Hunters, settlers and Natives in the interior would probably be the primary rifle using customers I would think.  I don't see that there would have been much demand for rifles in the early Tidewater.  Kentucky and Tennesee were still relatively sparsely populated in the 1780s yet big game was already scarce by then.  Imagine how early big game would have been hunted out in the Tidewater, settled 150 years earlier.  To me, it seems like timing of the migration of German immigration into Virginia in the first half of the 1700s, the opening of the frontier in the Piedmont and Shenandoah Valley (bringing white hunters  closer to big-game and spurring trade with Natives who were hunting in the western areas) and the influx of settlers who were establishing smaller, independent communities as opposed to plantation life and were always pushing farther into the frontier for land, were the factors that spurred the longrifle development.

Tim - on  your question, unfortunately I don't know of any surviving examples of longrifles identified, documented or even strongly suspected to have been made or used in Virginia before the 1760s, but I guess there are some possibilities given the loose attribution and dates on some of the pieces out there, and to my knolwedge there are literature references to rifles in Virginia I beleive as early as the 1740s or 50s.   So they were certainly in use and likely being made there pretty early. But most of the surviving examples of early longrifles attributed or possibly attributed to the south are shown in Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America, Volume 2 and appear to date to the 1760s or later. You do have to take the attributions carefully.  There are guns that were grouped in Volume 2 that are now attributed to Pennsylvania, and some in Volume 1 that are now suspected by some to be southern.  Many of the guns are unsigned or by undocumented makers, so timeframes and regional attributions are very speculative for some of the guns, and unlike many of the Pennsylvania pieces, many of the guns don't seem to have as strong clear evolutionary ties to later "Golden Age" pieces made in the region so it is a complex puzzle. 

Perhaps some of this might be explained by the migratory nature of the Virginia frontier as folks moved up the Valley and over into the Appalachians and beyond over the long period from the 1730s to early 1800s - i.e. perhaps many of the early Virgnia longrifle making families (pre-Rev. period) weren't in one place long enough to see the development of as strong tendencies  toward regional styles as there was in eastern Pennsylvania.  Once the best land was taken along the Appalachian frontier, i.e. by the 1790s or so, there are numerous surviving examples of longrifles with well defined strong regional and local styles in Virginia - so maybe gunsmiths became more settled after the Revolution, at least east of the mountains.  It's fun to think about this stuff and let's hope some new pieces turn up in the future that will shed some light. 

Guy

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:45:27 PM by Guy Montfort »

R. Hare

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »
This is a very interesting thread!

As to what early English rifles looked like, there are one or two in "Great British Gunmakers, 1540-1740"

Also, I read somewhere of "Screwed guns" being used in the English civil war  by gamekeepers for long-range sniping.
Wether "screwed gun' means rifled, or that they had a turn-off barrel similar to the Queen Anne pistol, I do not know, but either way they must have been far more accurate then the musket of the time.

As to hunting in the colonies at an early date, Could it not have been executed in the same manner one sees in the European prints contemporary to this time?
As in, a bunch of hunting dogs bringing the game to bay?
If this was the case, the shooting would be at very close quarters, and the rifle not really needed.

Just a thought,....provoked by some accounts of how valuable a good hunting dog/hound was!

Richard.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »
There's a lot of good points being brought up here.  I think I might have missed something in the thread though - to my knowledge there are no surviving rifles from anywhere in America that are confirmed to have been made here and pre-date the 1760s, are there? 

Guy

The only one I can think of is the "musician's rifle" with users' dates on it (1756 is onbe of the dates if I recall) and linked to the Bethlehem area.  As fine a piece of work as has ever been made in America.  Some accept the dating of this rifle as pre-1760 and others are not so sure.

But whether we're talking Virginia or Pennsylvania, your point is well taken.  Very early rifles were rarely dated and few have survived, for good reason.  Unlike furniture, which still "works" even when old, guns become "obsolete" or at least "old fashioned" when a new ignition system, etc comes along and then somebody has to decide whether it's worthwhile to have a gunsmith convert it, or not.

I also hypothesize that the disruption of the Civil War in the South- not just ransacking or destruction- may have contributed to lower survival rates.  In Pennsylvania, some families lived on the same tract of land, in the same house, for generations dating back to the Revolution or earlier, and those houses were undisturbed by war and did not change hands as much.  Keeping "great grandpa's rifle" may not have been difficult and the family or sentimental attachment may have helped guns survive.  It would be harder to preserve old family heirlooms when war causes so much chaos and folks often have to only take what they can carry, and get out.

I grew up in NY state and my family lived in the same county or the adjacent one to the east or the one to the south from the late 1600's to the present.  As a kid interested in history, I saved a trunk made and signed by my GG-Grandpa, Uriah, dated 1861, and my G-Grandpa Milan's Civil War Springfield, and his CW discharge papers, and his fife.  Without those sentimental attachments, these may have been lost.  I have an anvil believed to have been passed down in the family from the early 1700's, that could have been melted as scrap in WWII but for the attachment.  This "preservation principle" could apply to earlier family artifacts in areas of stability.
Andover, Vermont

Offline DaveM

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »
An interesting related note - there was a Dr. John Woodson from Oxford England settled in Virginia in the early 1600's and had a plantation called "Flowerdew" in Virginia.  According to the website below in the early / mid 1600's, he owned a matchlock musket "rifle" that was originally 8-ft long and modified at some point to 6-ft.  I assume he brought it from England.  This gun survives and is on display at the Virginia museum in Richmond.  A poor partial photo of the gun is on this website below.  Hard to tell if this gun is really what they describe or that earliest time period.

http://webpages.charter.net/pepbaker/woodson.htm

Mike R

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »
On the survival of rifles in the south:  many of the guns that survived did so in the backwoods--areas of limited Union control or areas of Union sympathy. Weapons owned in the more urban areas saw the most pilfering and destruction--those areas that might have harbored the finer early arms.  Even so, the survival rate of early arms north and south was very very low.  My family history in North America goes back to before the F&I War.  My ancestors fought in every war from the 1750s on, and lived in frontier areas after the Revolution. Yet only one family arm has survived [identified] and it is not in our possession [a Colt revolver owned by Gen. James Chesnut of Jeff Davis' staff, and so engraved].  Except in the backwoods, where old lifestyles reamined unchanged for many years [I saw the 19th cent life as a child still being lived in the deep Smokies and Ozarks--and not so different from the 18th cent then], old style weapons were often just abandoned by their owners, not needing Reconstuction to do it for them.  When my grandfather moved from the Ozarks to Little Rock in the 19teens he bought new fangled cartridge guns [hunting was still his passion], and we have no record of the old ones.  My grandmother used to talk about her grandfather--formerly Col. Z. L. Watters, head of the 8th GA INf CSA, still toting his Colt "horse pistol" long after the war was over [it has disappeared too]--he had moved into the backhills of the Ozarks after the war.  I have read stories of Union army confiscation of arms in occupied cities--didn't one General make a iron fence out of rifle barrels?  But in backwoods Tenn or Ark I'll bet they didn't try real hard to dig them out...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »
An interesting related note - there was a Dr. John Woodson from Oxford England settled in Virginia in the early 1600's and had a plantation called "Flowerdew" in Virginia.  According to the website below in the early / mid 1600's, he owned a matchlock musket "rifle" that was originally 8-ft long and modified at some point to 6-ft.  I assume he brought it from England.  This gun survives and is on display at the Virginia museum in Richmond.  A poor partial photo of the gun is on this website below.  Hard to tell if this gun is really what they describe or that earliest time period.

http://webpages.charter.net/pepbaker/woodson.htm

It's not uncommon for folks nowadays- even museum curators- to use the term "rifle" to mean "long gun".  No doubt that gun is a smoothbore.  We think that period writers would have mis-used the term "rifle" less often, especially in times and places where rifles were rare and fowlers, fusils and muskets were common.
Andover, Vermont

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
Gary's website has some really interesting things about early game related laws in Virginia that shed a bit of insight.  There are things indicating that depletion of the deer was a concern very early; laws enacted controlling hunting, but also stating that hunting was good as it trained citizens in the use of their arms; laws preventing the hiring of Natives to hunt for you, etc.  Fascinating stuff.  Also really interesting about the requirments of immigrants to come to Virginia with arms - I wonder if they got any training in use before coming over, or if that were left until they got here?

Some sources indicate the Virginia deerhide trade peaked right around 1700.  I would love to see the types of weapons that were being used.

Rich - I had forgotten about the Musician's Rifle.  Thanks for posting that.  I would also not be surprised if a number of the guns shown in Shumway were earlier than we think.   

Guy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:25:18 AM by Guy Montfort »