Author Topic: Original brass furniture?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Original brass furniture?
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
I have a friend who was in the wreck salvage/treasure hunting business for a number of years. I showed him a fowler I built and he told me he had recovered a number of original brass butt plates, trigger guards and ramrod pipes from the HMS Griffin which sank in 1761. He took a lot of what he recovered to the Tower Of London to be authenticated. He dove on some wrecks that were reported to be treasure laden but never hit the mother lode or anything of significant value.

He asked me where he might sell his finds, I didn't know if there would be a market, unless these items would be of interest to someone doing a restoration.

What do you guys think? What direction should I steer him?   

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Original brass furniture?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »
So what type of gun are the parts for? I'm sure it would make a difference whether they're for a Brown Bess, or just some generic fowler...

John 
John Robbins

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:36:25 PM »
Does he have photos that you can post?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »
Pretty sure it is Bess furniture.

Sterling is an unusual kind of guy, he lives off the grid in south Alabama out in the swamps. He was a highly decorated helicopter pilot in Nam and spent a lot of his life flying to oil rigs in the gulf as well as a lot of flying in Alaska. He lives a survivalist lifestyle now, more or less but isn't a hermit by any means. Him and his wife travel a good bit.

I will send him an email to see if he has pictures. He only checks his email when he drives to town and goes to the library to use their computer.He doesn't have a phone, TV, or computer at his house and only has power when he cranks the generator.

I see him and his wife at most of the big traditional archery shoots in this area of the south east, real nice folk.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »
Did he happen to mention what kind of condition they were in?
JIM

presol

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 01:52:16 AM »
Hi,
I would very much be interested in what he has. My phone number is 207-380-4773.
Thanks,
Dale

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
I have some pictures coming that I will post when I get them.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »
Here is the assorted brsss.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »
 The long side plates might be early Brown Bess, but the trigger guard, and butt plates look like sea service musket stuff.

Hungry Horse

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »
The owner said that the parts were from several sea service muskets when he had them authenticated.