Author Topic: ALR Museum and Library...5th year  (Read 5408 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum and Library...5th year
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
We, Bruce , I and the Committee, have enjoyed working for the interest of all in creating and sustaining the "ALR Musuem and Library", now exhibitng more than 700 long rifles. In recent months, there have been few additions, really NONE. Please help us continue to add to this resource by send pictures of your guns to be added. To date , all ownership has been kept anonymous and will remain so. PLEASE!!!!

Hurricane, Nord and the Museum Committee

send picture by email to:

fgarner@verzion.net         or       nordata@earthlink.net
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:33:02 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

• Library_mod
Re: ALR Museum and Library...5th year
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:48:21 AM »
Just moving it back to top to be sure everyone sees it.
Hurricane

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:58:51 AM »
Hurricane  (of Virginia), it reminds me of when I was a kid . Raised up in a country church up a hollow. Every now and again the congregation would get "ho hum" , or lose the spirit. The pastor would call on  an evangelist, to come and hold a revival.  What we need here is a revival.  :)

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:46:13 AM »
Can I get an AMEN....... ;D
Joel Hall

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:26:55 AM »
AMEN to that, seconded. I sure enjoy looking and the history lessons. The next best thing to handling a piece of heritage .   Thanks for the effort to those concerned.  LON

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »
A serious discussion of this topic should include identifying the barriers to its success and acting to remove them. We've got members with tremendous collections who are reluctant to share them.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Virginiaboy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
I am currently getting a file for Jacob Shaffer to send in, I am working on a brief description of him. I have pictures of 2 guns as of now that I can share, a bullet mold he made that is in my collection, the rock he used to sight his guns in on and a sketch of the house and shop. I am tracking down some very important books of his right now and hope I can find them, they will tell just about everything I believe. I am also very close to aquiring a barrel signed by him.

R.Baitinger

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »

I just did a bio and pictures of J.S. Burson  Wabash, Indiana a couple of months ago. Something I wanted to do for two years or more. I  really have gotten a lot of information and understanding of long rifles off of this site. The Museum and Library has done a great job and people need to be aware that these guns are a great part of our history and we need to get more young people involved in their beauty, history, and collecting. The other thing  I did not understand was that when the program was put on the ALR it also went on the internet and if I had known that I would not have wanted my name shown. I think people that collect guns are a little private and might be a little reluctant to let out what they own and collect. It is hard to describe a beautiful long rifle and do it justice. A little history and some pictures help a great deal and it is not even painful.
                              Bob B.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
Virginiaboy.  I can tell you've caught the bug and look forward to your contributions to the
history.  Keep up the good work.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Virginiaboy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
The bug has bit hard, but I am only chasing Shaffer rifles.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
Rob,
You put that rather well.
Buck

• Library_mod
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
Disappointed as no one has responded with a single gun for display. Any suggestions?
Hurricane
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:59:32 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Virginiaboy

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »
I sent stuff to NORD on Jacob Shaffer of Wythe County, Virginia

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
Check your email
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline nord

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
For those who have contributed... Thank you!

For committee members... Five new candidates.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.