Author Topic: just finished my GPR!  (Read 5817 times)

karwelis

just finished my GPR!
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »
i know its just a GPR, but i used it to hone my skills so to speak. i start my isaac haines from tip curtis in a couple of days! but here are some finished pics.

karwelis

northmn

Re: just finished my GPR!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
You going to brown the parts or leave them white?  Nice wood work and it will give you a good start on the Isaac Haines.  I hope you enjoy the hobby and get in as much trouble over it with your wife as I have (seem to go together no matter what you do).

DP

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
Hey Karwelis - Looks good.  I like the color on the wood.  What stain did you use?  Keep us posted on the Isaac Haines rifle.
Eric

karwelis

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
northmn, the metal parts are not in the white, they have been aged and tarnished with viniger.
gibster i used lmf maple. in the sun light the color on the stock just pops!

karwelis
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:47:42 PM by karwelis »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 05:16:50 PM »
You are off to a great start.  The steel will darken up naturally to a great patina with regular use.  The first build is a real special rifle, always.
Andover, Vermont

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:33:48 PM »
Not bad at all. There is nothing wrong with a GPR, and everyone does have to start somewhere. Better with a production gun than not at all. You should have seen the first GPR I did. It wasn't too bad, but not as nice as yours.

The only suggestion I would make, is the inconsistency between the nicely finished stock and the aged iron.

IMHO, there should be a consistency between all parts of a gun. If the stock appears new, so should the iron work. Is just doesn't work to have part of a gun aged and part appear to be new. Otherwise, nice work.

karwelis

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »
Not bad at all. There is nothing wrong with a GPR, and everyone does have to start somewhere. Better with a production gun than not at all. You should have seen the first GPR I did. It wasn't too bad, but not as nice as yours.

The only suggestion I would make, is the inconsistency between the nicely finished stock and the aged iron.

IMHO, there should be a consistency between all parts of a gun. If the stock appears new, so should the iron work. Is just doesn't work to have part of a gun aged and part appear to be new. Otherwise, nice work.

well don't see an inconsistency, check it out i have my fathers M-1 garrand that he used in Korea, and the barrel is a little darker than this one, but the stock beautifully burnished, and oiled by my father in early November 1950 at chosen. and you know that OLD weapon has a nicer and shineyer stock.