Author Topic: Ok Boys You wanted to see it " IT SHOOTS GOOD"  (Read 15075 times)

2lookindown

Ok Boys You wanted to see it " IT SHOOTS GOOD"
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
This is a 25 yard 5 shot group ... The rifle is "32 Cal" 1:66 " twist 34 " barrel... 34 Grains of GOEX FFFG  .015 pillow ticking.... AND "JEFF TANNER ROUND BALL" molded in .319 full round ball with the spure worked down to round... I guess that aint good enough.... This is the rifle made from "APPLE" I call it "Apple Jack"

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:31:02 PM by 2lookindown »

jamesthomas

Re: Ok Boys You wanted to see it " IT SHOOTS GOOD"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »
 It looks good to me! The squirrels an rabbits better look out when ya hit the woods with it. ;D

knifemaker3

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »
Nice!  I'm currently trying to figure out how to build a .32 cal underhammer pistol before I do me an underhammer rifle also in .32.

Hope I can get that kind of accuracy out of mine!

Thanks for sharing!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
That's a really neat rifle; and accurate, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »
2Look,
That's a good looking group, it ought to make you competitive. My problem isn't getting a group like that, it's repeating it.
Mark
Mark

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »
Dutch Schulz would be proud of you.    Send him a copy of that one.

2lookindown

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:00:21 AM »
I'm no pro with the muzzle loader but that is a pretty nice group... I have not gone out past 25 yards yet but I will when I get consistent with it at 25.... I think it will kill a squirrel...  ;D ;D

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 02:02:16 AM »
knifemaker3,  Dixie has a nice little paper back booklet on "The Underhammer Rifle" by Jeff Baron. Lots of designs in there. I've used it to make up 6 or so Uh guns, mostly the Hilliard type.   good luck they're fun to make & fun to shoot---give that cap a nice squeeze so she won't fall off......Tom

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »
So how large is that group?
Or what is the diameter of the inside ring that is intact. The line just to the outside of the number 10?

John
John Robbins

2lookindown

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:55:57 AM »
John, It looks like it is less than a dime...

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:05:21 AM »
WOW!  That's good shootin'!
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:09:55 AM »
I don't get out to shoot with a muzzleloading group - they shoot on Sundays and I have more important things to do that day.  But why are  25yds targets shown on here?  To me that is bow and arrow range.  I attended a shoot with a local club when I first started muzzle loading.  They were shooting gimick targets and the longest shot that day was about 20 yds which didn't much interest me so I never went back with that group.  Is 25yds the typical range at which muzzle loading target shoots are arranged?  For my flintlock I am much more interested in what is happening at 75 and 100 yds as that is useful for elk and deer hunting.  Am I missing something here?     

dagner

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:44:27 AM »
 some very fine shooting

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »
So 5 shots more or less inside a Quarter. That's pretty darn tootin good shooting even at 25 yards!
That apple stick might surprise a few guys if the accuracy holds up further out!

John
John Robbins

2lookindown

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »
Jerry, I'm just gettin started with this gun I learned that if it won't shoot where you want it then it aint no good... even if it is 25 yards... Shoot me 5 shot from 25 and lets see em...

2lookindown

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »
So 5 shots more or less inside a Quarter. That's pretty darn tootin good shooting even at 25 yards!
That apple stick might surprise a few guys if the accuracy holds up further out!

John

John, Look a little closer... The dime is covering up those 5 shots not the quarter... The quarter is just showing the next ring out...  The dime is on the original target and over the group....

Paul Griffith

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
I'm sorry, but the da#n dime thing thing is just plain showboat! LOL Tack driver for sure.

Paul

2lookindown

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »
Guys, So I guess a 1:66" twist rate aint too bad for a small cal. rifle.... I just hope my next build shoots as good I have a .29 Cal barrel just like it that is done . I just need to get over to Howards and pick it up...

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »
I would like for somone to explain why, if a gun will shoot dime size groups at 25 yards, why will the group open up to more
than twice the size of the 25 yard group if shot at 50 yards?  I know it will probably shoot higher or lower, but, why would it
wander to the right or left at a greater distance?  I don't think the ball will curve right or left, I can understand why a "bullet"might do this, but a round ball?????.........Don

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »
HI Don,
You make a good argument.  My gut says the barrel should shoot as you suggest.  For me the answer would be that at 25 yds, I can see the x ring.  At 50 yds, I can't.  I'd guess that the sights and the shooters eye are why the group spreads farther than the group suggests.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Try putting a target at 50 yds right behind and in line with the 25 yd. Shoot at the 25 yd target. You
Will be surprised at your group on the 50 yd one.
The Pistol Shooter

Paul Griffith

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »
I remember settin up a machine rest the first time & figured I could shoot 25 or 30 yds & it would tell me what I needed to know. And you are right one hole at that distance might translate to much over twice that at twice the yardage.  Dr. Manns expermentation sort of explains it as the spiral a bullet produces enlarges the further from the muzzle it is.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »
I think the extra spread has to do with atmospheric conditions and projectile time of flight.

Since the projectile is slowing down as it travels down range, it takes longer to travel the second 25 yards than it does the first, so the ball has more time to wander off the intended course and consequently misses by more than double the error of the 25 yard target.

Throw in that if you're shooting outdoors, there's always something going on with atmospheric conditions. Maybe a puff of wind, a change of direction or a change in pressure. Add that bit of  unknown condition to the extra projectile travel time, and viola, you just missed the target!

John
John Robbins

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »
I had a .223 scoped target rifle that could group like that at 100 yards off bags, that's by far the best I have ever seen from a BP iron sights rifle.
I almost feel bad for the squirrels........... ;D
Nice shooting !
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
I would like for somone to explain why, if a gun will shoot dime size groups at 25 yards, why will the group open up to more
than twice the size of the 25 yard group if shot at 50 yards?  I know it will probably shoot higher or lower, but, why would it
wander to the right or left at a greater distance?  I don't think the ball will curve right or left, I can understand why a "bullet"might do this, but a round ball?????.........Don
Don,
Its math, MOA (Minute of Angle) mixed with a little wind, take a look here for a better explanation
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:59:29 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson