Author Topic: friendship in june  (Read 12786 times)

Online hortonstn

friendship in june
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:20:30 AM »
any body going to friendship? ive been in sept  what should I expect?
paul

Offline trentOH

Re: friendship in june
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:20:59 AM »
I work the Running Boar range. I hope to see you shooting there! That goes for everybody at ALR who will be there.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:04:57 AM »
I am planning on going there Saturday the 8th.  Never been to Friendship before.  I just started shooting muzzleloaders two years ago (other than for hunting).  I think I will be a spectator and visit the vendors this trip.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:51:08 AM »
Friendship in June is identical to Friendship in September.
Always hot and now primarily a gathering from Ohio,Indiana,
Illinois,Michigan. I remember when it was much better and
bigger.

Bob Roller

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
Need to include Texas, Penn, KY, Georgia, Alabama,Colo, Calif, Missouri,AZ,AL and others I,m not remembering now.
Still the best place to shoot everything that loads from the muzzle in the world! And lasts for 8 days! Novice to expert there is something for you to shoot.
Charlie

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
I am going up next week for a couple days.

Is there a seperate vender area...
 Are motel rooms hard to find.
 I will be taking a tent and hammock so is there places to camp.
 Having not been there before is friendship a large town or can one find their way around pretty good.  I have a heart problem so need to park as close as I can to vendor area.
 Hopefuly I will be riding my motorcycle so maybe parking might be not so bad.
iloco

mmprwarner

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
I am going up next week for a couple days.

Is there a seperate vender area...
 Having not been there before is friendship a large town or can one find their way around pretty good.  I have a heart problem so need to park as close as I can to vendor area.
 Hopefuly I will be riding my motorcycle so maybe parking might be not so bad.
Someone have to agree with Bob. I think the circle of participants might be slightly larger than he's thanking although with gas prices what they are. It does seem to shrink, but don't let that affect you. Come on down have a good time stop by 34 rowdy Row at place, we affectionately call the flats and we will have a good time. If there's nobody home there come down by the chunk gun range and see if you can find us. Just be sure to get around and talk to everybody you can.
To answer your questions iloco the vendor area is right at the range. The nearest motel is probably 20 to 25 min. away. However, that tent & hammock may come in handy. There's lots of places to camp. Friendship is a very small town. My guess is the population is less than 200 in the town proper. If you will come through the town of friendship when you see the main range, there will be a parking area immediately off to your left and then shortly thereafter, another one off to your right, both of which are very short walk to both the shooting and vendors. There are two flea markets running during the shoot either one of which would prove to be somewhat of a walk but at any rate come down and enjoy yourself.

Online hortonstn

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
just a thought, it seems it likes to rain everytime i look at a tent
paul

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »
Rooms are generally booked in advance and finding one is not guaranteed.  Depends on "when" you go.

Are you a member of the NMLRA?  This determines your options.  I may be mistaken, but I think you have to be a member to camp on the grounds.  Again, campsites are reserved in advance, but probably enough left to get one.  Once you pay for your campsite, you will get a badge allowing access to the grounds.  This would allow you to enter the main area with your cycle and park close for free.  There is a mess hall with daily specials or fast food.  Other places to eat are 20-30 minutes away.

If you are not a member, then you will have to depend on private campgrounds and parking, daily access fees, etc.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline iloco

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
I am not a member.  This will be my first year at friendship.
 Will see what takes place when I get there.
iloco

Offline LH

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »
Expect to have fun!   Lots of shooting, lots of vendors,  gun making, primitive crafts and supplies.  And more shooting.   I'll be there all week on the offhand range.  Straw hat and a flintlock.   ;D

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »
The first half of the week will be the busiest.  Monday evening is called "Shooter's night".  Vendors will be open after supper till 9 or 10 or so.  The theory is that shooters can shop without taking their range time to do it.  Some vendors will be packing up by the middle of the week.

Everything seems to be going on at once.  You can shoot about anything at about any time.  The only exception to this is that I don't think they can run the woods walk and the running boar at the same time.

As you come in, the primitive shooting is across the creek to the south.  The paper matches will be in front of the club house and vendors.  Shooter registration and target sales are in the club house.  Powder is sold on the primitive side up behind the administration offices.  I don't remember if you must be a member to buy powder.

Hope you all have a good time. I'll be there from Friday to Wednesday pm.
Regards,
Pletch
PS TrentOH, I'll try to look you up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:27:47 PM by Pletch »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
Yes, you have to be a member to buy powder. I will be there Wed. thru Sunday on the pistol line. I will have
time to kill. Wife is going to do all the shooting. I'm not walking too good right now. I'm the one with the
blond with the kinky hair.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:03:07 PM by Frizzen »
The Pistol Shooter

dagner

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
  ALL  BOB WAS PIONTING OUT WAS THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE SHOWING UP.YES SOME COME FROM EVERYWHER.GOOD LUCK ON A MOTEL FRIDAY  SAT  OR SUNDAY FOR A LONG WAY WAY  OUT

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 01:21:18 AM »
Madison which is about 25 miles south is a good place.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 01:39:05 AM »
What I am pointing out is the fact the NMLRA has about 10,000 fewer members
than it did in 1989. Motels are no problem,Lawrenceburg which is closer than Madison
has an abundence of them.I remember seing cars for far Western States and Canadian Provinces
but the loss of people and high gas prices are what they are.

Bob Roller

Dogshirt

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 03:18:54 AM »
The HUGE problem with Friendship is the distance! If it was 3-4 hours away I'd LOVE to go, but ain't no way in #e!! I can go THAT far for ANYTHING! That would be further than Sturgis, and I ain't goin' there either!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:21:34 AM by Dogshirt »

Hessian

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24:08 AM »
The Missus & I will be there Friday morning & probably stay through Tuesday. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Hessian

JBlk

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
Make sure to bring your rain gear with you.It has stormed on the average of four days a week since the begining of Spring, many times for the whole 24 hrs here in Central Illinois.Many of the fields are in weeds and our gardens look like rice paddies.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »
If I don't make it there this Saturday (June 8th) is there anything worth seeing say Wednesday or Thursday of next week?  Will there still be vendors there?  Black powder availability?

I still want to try and make it Saturday.

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 05:53:40 AM »
Black powder will be available all week. Magazine open noon to 2:00 p.m. after the 1st Sun. Venders will begin leaving Tue. though some like Log Cabin and others are here all week.
Charlie

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 01:33:01 AM »
Just got back from Friendship - wow! Wished I had more money to take down there.  I just got to the magazine in time to purchase some powder.

Didn't like all the flea market and yard sales strung out next to the shooting grounds - the traffic was really heavy.  I realize though that the locals need to make money too.  Friendship is really a place you need to arrive on a Thursday or early Friday and camp and plan on being there for at least three or four days.  I don't know how long the flea markets last.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 02:07:58 AM »
I was there on Friday with a friend but most of the vendors were not there or just
getting set up when we left.That flea market came into being in 1969 and presnted problems
with thieves coming to the range and I recall one big van load of ladies of the evening coming
from Cincinatti to ply their "trades".The Indiana State Police arrested some of them and their customers
so that was taken care of.
The NMLRA has lost a huge number of members for whatever reasons and according to Muzzle Blasts
there are now fewer than 16,000 members and few new ones signing up.I saw a lot of Geezers like me,
old !@#$% in their seventies and beyond.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 05:50:05 AM »
Definitely an older crowd.  I sure hope the NMLRA can get more kids interested.  Maybe appeal to the states 4-H clubs and boy scouts and girl scouts.

Offline iloco

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:25 AM »
My first time there I was a little disappointed.   Not as many venders I had expected.
 I did meet some nice people and had a good time.  I was going to stay two nights but after getting there on friday afternoon and looking around I saw all that was to be.  I left at 12.30 on saturday on my way back home after getting some much needed powder.

I was able to buy two Frank house knives.  Not many knives of the type I was looking for there.
iloco