Author Topic: Need some dimensions off Lancaster/Lebanon orginals  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Need some dimensions off Lancaster/Lebanon orginals
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »
The lack of orginials around the southwest makes it hard to develop a full sense on originals.  I would appreciate some sample dimensions for originals as in Dickert,  Haines, and possibly Beck .  Specifically I need the distances between the front end of the muzzle cap back to where the ramrod molding begins.  Is there any trend there which needs consideration?   I am trying to get close to earlier guns as would have been available before or during the Revolution.   Appreciate any help.   

I have the drawings from Recreating the American Longrifle but don't know if they are a broad generalization and of a later period. 

Online Dave B

Re: Need some dimensions off Lancaster/Lebanon orginals
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »
Jerry,
I know that you can take any Beck photos and enlarge them so the rod pipe measures 1 5/16" and it will be the correct scale. I met Rudy Barr this year at the KRA show and he has a very nice JP Beck.  All of Beck's pipes measure this according to Rudy. On some builders though they were not very consistant on how they did things in a lot of cases. You can point to trends and say typically this maker did it like this, but rarely this is how they were allways done.
Dave Blaisdell

Sean

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
Jerry,

Where are you in the Southwest?

Sean

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »
Jerry

In April 2008, Jim Filipski posted some pix of a JP Beck original that had been converted to percussion, and included
quite a few dimensions of the gun. You should be able to find it in the archives.

All the best
Paul

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:23:36 PM »
Sean,

I am in Tempe, AZ.  Where are you?

The dimension I need is not pipe length.  It is from the forward end of the muzzlecap to the place the MOLDING for th ramrod channel begins.  I am seeing about 2" on some but up to 3 " or 4" on others.  Not really expecting precision to the 1/32 of an inch, but whether the approx 2" is representative.  The RCA photos generally aren't useful in seeing this feature clearly. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:25:58 PM by Jerry V Lape »

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:44:20 AM »
Dave was suggesting that you use the known length of the thimble to scale up a photo of just about any Beck gun because he was consistent in using that dimension for his pipes. For others you could use Kindig or one of the RCA book and scale up from the known dimensions given there to get the one you want.  I like to use the photos in these books with an opaque projector to blow them up to full size. It's not always easy but can be done.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 05:50:10 AM »
Jerry,

I've got some photos of an original Beck that I got last year.

There is one of the muzzlecap and forward rod pipe.

If you'd like, I can email it to you and you can try to scale it up.  On this one, the moulding starts real close to the muzzle cap.

Let me know.

By the way,..... I'm in Mesa.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:20:26 AM »
Dane,

I think we have met.  Do you shoot with the group at Rio Salado or with the Mesa Muzzlestuffers?  I have visited with both groups but not in a while. 

I am always interested in photos of original rifles so if you have time, I would appreciate the photos. 

Jerry

Sean

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:46:06 PM »
Jerry,

I just sent you an e-mail about an option to see original longrifles in the SW.

Sean