Author Topic: Bettis Rifle  (Read 7895 times)

Densmore

Bettis Rifle
« on: November 26, 2011, 04:35:18 AM »
I inherited a Bettis Rifle from my grandmother (Lucile Hooper - married Homer Densmore who was the son of John R. Densmore who married a Bettis) who grew up in Forsyth County/Cummings GA and is buried at Midway Cemetary.  If anyone can provide any information please contact me at gmilnor@yahoo.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Bettis Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »
It would be easier if there were photos of the lock, the buttstock from the lock back both sides and an overall view.

Often in MLs the name is not conclusive especially if its a maker than has not been heard of or is little known. Photos of the gun might be more illuminating than the maker's name.
Digital photos are easy to post via the Photobucket website.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »
Frank Seller's 2nd Edition shows a Philip P. Bettis, Vickery's Creek, Georgia 1879-1881, those dates are from some business directory.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:30:08 AM »
Particularly given the Forsyth County, Georgia, provenance, your rifle is undoubtedly by Philip Bettis who worked in Forsyth County.  I have seen several of his rifles, signed "P Bettis".  Here is the information on Bettis published in GUNSMITHS & ALLIED TRADESMEN OF GEORGIA, by Wayne Elliott and James Whisker:

"Bettis, Philip (1836-). gunsmith. 1860, Cumming, Forsyth County, Phillip Bettis, 25, blacksmith, born in S.C.; Matilda Bettis, 25, born in N.C.; Gibbs Bettis, 2, born in. GA; William Davis Bettis, 1, born in GA. 1870, Vickery Creek District, Cumming, Forsyth County. Phillip Bettis, 34, m, w, gunsmith, value of real estate $250, value of personal estate $500, born in SC; Matilda Bettis, 37, f, w, keeping house, b. NC; all children born in Georgia: Gibbs Bettis, 13; William Bettis, 11; Toliver Bettis, 6; Eliza Bettis, 9; Lenora Bettis, 4; Victoria Bettis, 4. 1879, Vickery’s Creek [State Dir]. Philip Bettis, 44 gunsmith; Matilda, 49. 1881-82, Vickery Creek, Forsyth County [U.S. Census]; Dir].  Several P Bettis rifles are extant."
Wayne Elliott

phillbettis

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:43 AM »
I am the great great grandson of Phillip Bettis and have collected 4 of his rifles. The most recent acqusition is in excellent condition. Our family has accumlated 8 of these rifles.

Offline Mike L

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:15:50 AM »
Some of us have not seen a Bettis rifle, it would be nice to see some pictures.

mulelady

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 04:55:48 AM »
I'm looking for a Bettis Rifle. Made by Phillip Bettis from Georgia. You can email me privately at muleladyone@yahoo.com .

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 03:23:45 AM »
Hoping a Bettis family will contact me about developing a Phillip Bettis exhibit for the ALR Library. Email to Phillip has failed.
Hurricane
fgarner@verizon.net

mike e

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:54:03 AM »
On page 12 of John Rice Irwin's "GUNS AND GUNMAKING TOOLS OF SOUTHERN APPALACHIA", there is a picture of three rifles. The center rifle, a half-stock with a long barrel, looks just like the P. Bettis rifle that I got to handle once. Same trigger guard, cap box, nose cap etc.... I've often wondered if it is a Bettis rifle. The friend that had the rifle, Don Woodlif, passed away about a year ago and left the rifle to his son. Don said the rifle had belonged to his great uncle. Don's family lived in northern Georgia. I regret that I never got any pictures of the rifle. Don's rifle had a long barrel about .30 caliber.

mulelady

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:13 AM »
Anyone have a Bettis RIfle. I have one that I can take a picture. Please let me know.You can email me at muleladyone@yahoo.com  or I might not see your reply

joerc2002

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:41:15 PM »
i just bought a bettis ..  stock is broke so im haveing a new cherry half stock made for it got all the original hardware on it and all seems functional..  cant wait to shoot it.. any one got anymore info on bettis??