Author Topic: enos border swivel rifle??  (Read 2462 times)

dakota1647819

enos border swivel rifle??
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »

I purchased this rifle several months ago. Below is the seller's description, which attributes this rifle to Enos border? What do you folks think?

It is possible the seller is a member of this forum.

I hope the link works.

Ken

Over and under swivel breech percussion Kentucky rifle with .36 inch full octagon .40 caliber rifled and .38 caliber smooth barrels. One barrel is marked “E.B.” for the Bedford gunsmith Enos Border. The stock is fine Curly Maple and the gun features seven silver inlays, an engraved silver side plate, a seven inch long brass comb inlay and an engraved four piece patch box. Enos Border was born August 28, 1822 and was taxed as a gunsmith in Bedford Township in 1842-48, about the time this gun could have been made. CONDITION: The gun was made using parts designed for a gun with full side panels alongside the barrels, but was made without side panels

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/bikini19/library/

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: enos border swivel rifle??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »
Looks like one of those times when a dealer simply looked for a name that fit the initials, an unfortunate  practice by some less knowledgeable dealers when selling rifles. Shelby Gallien

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
Architecture and decoration looks more like Union/Snyder county. Was there a Baum with an E first initial? Don Getz might recognize the rifle. Can't spell Upper Susquehanna, so listed union/snyder
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:06:20 AM by Don Stith »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:35:56 AM »
Could not find example of Enos Border ID guns in many Bedford books. Only listing is in Sellers as a gunsmith. Not in Whiskers or Chandler  books or Heckler (monograph on Bedford guns which includes Daniel ? will correct when I get home). Barrel signature also look strange in " form" to my eye.

dakota1647819

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
I must agree that this is not an Enos Border rifle. Anyhow it is a nice rifle and it is a keeper.

I was doing a Bing search this morning and i found a link to my pictures and the text of my original post. I am not a computer guru, so I must have done something wrong for this to happen. I deleted the photos and locked the account. If some one is interested in seeing the pics, i can send them email.

thank, Ken