Author Topic: Not true! Olde Eynsford  (Read 3294 times)

frontier gander

Not true! Olde Eynsford
« on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »
Reducing your loads for Olde Eynsford because it is much hotter certainly was not the case in my flintlock! I started with 70gr 3f OE, .018" patch and .490" round ball. Not a bad group considering I just tried the powder and put a new front sight on this afternoon.

Went back and got 3 more with a lower 60gr charge, that OPENED up my group big time and strung  them out vertical the target.

Going out again with 80gr and will report back with pictures.

Not sure if its the humidity today from late evening rain showers for 3 days, but this stuff doesnt get tight im my bore at all. A pure pleasure to shoot this flinter today despite wet flints and pan. :-\

frontier gander

Re: Not true! Olde Eynsford
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:03:47 AM »
Traditions Kentucky .50cal Flintlock
.490" Round Ball
.018" Patch with Olive Oil - Beeswax Lube
50 yards

Started off with my 70 grain load and looked around, smiled, shook my head, I still got it even after a good year and a half of not shooting this Flintlock!

Tapped the rear sight over to the left a good bit and this time because I have heard, Olde Eynsford is hotter, you should reduce your load down a bit. I did so and adjusted down to 60 grains 3fg Olde Eynesford.  Not sure who said that was good, but my Flintlock Hated this load.

Going back inside for 3 more charges, I upped it to 80gr Olde Eynesford 3fg and took my 3 shots. Sadly, I pulled my 3rd shot! Or did I? I haven't cleaned the rifle since I took it out earlier for the first test, but she loads so smooth and no sticky spots so why not keep shooting right?!

That old feeling of " What If" Always seems to nag at me and to learn exactly what I did wrong, I loaded up again and squeezed off another shot.  Yup, I think the dirty bore or maybe barrel heat was starting to get to the rifle.

The Four of 80gr 3fg Olde Eynsford patches I recovered off the range. No rips, wholes, tears in them whatsoever.

SUPER pleased with todays results and finally able to knock the dust off my Flintlock "skills" and get the old Kentucky out shooting again. Tomorrow will be another powder smoke filled day as I will continue with the 80gr 3f charges and take it up to 90 and possible 100 grains. I will not file the sight until I find the most accurate load at 50 yards.  75 yards is about my max right now off hand with this Flintlock and so if I can duplicate today's 80gr 3fg load, I will be very pleased.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:08:19 AM by frontier gander »

frontier gander

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
Alright I got out early this morning and tried my 80gr 3fg OE load but used a thicker .020" patch. No problems reloading or even loading this combo.

The changes I made today were of course the .020" patch and I reinstalled the factory vent liner.

50 yards again. 80 grains 3fg OE

Loading up 90 grains 3fg OE, My shots impacted greatly to the left. Also used the .020" patch. I think I held a little low on my second shot, but my 3rd shot hit #1. I took one more " Make sure" shot in the next picture to make sure.

Yep, I think its pretty obvious who was at fault and it wasn't the gun....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:57 AM »
It's coming together, Gander. 
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 06:59:07 AM »
Coming together BIG TIME.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.