Author Topic: Colonial gunsmith??  (Read 4096 times)

Luke

Colonial gunsmith??
« on: June 19, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Ive been watching wallace gusler dvd from 1969,trying to learn as much as possible,so can someone explain the reason for putting leather and old bone with some charcoal in a crucible and putting the lock parts in with all the stuff what was that doing to the lock parts.thanks guys,luke

Offline RAT

Re: Colonial gunsmith??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »
Traditional case hardening. These parts would have been made from wrought iron... not steel. Wrought is soft and would wear quickly. Case hardening adds carbon to the surface to make it better resist wear.
Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Ive been watching wallace gusler dvd from 1969,trying to learn as much as possible,so can someone explain the reason for putting leather and old bone with some charcoal in a crucible and putting the lock parts in with all the stuff what was that doing to the lock parts.thanks guys,luke

Look up color case hardening or carburizing. It adds a  layer of carbon to iron or mild steel and allows the surface to harden when dumped in water out of the pack. This improves corrosion resistance to some extent and greatly reduces the wear on parts and makes a lock "slicker".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
This improves corrosion resistance to some extent and greatly reduces the wear on parts and makes a lock "slicker".

Dan

For certain it makes a lock "slicker".  Part of me says "Eric, there's no way your hands are sensitive enough to 'feel' the difference between case hardened parts working versus not", but the slickest and smoothest functioning locks I've ever handled were case hardened and had bearing surfaces polished like a mirror (that includes frizzen and sear pivot bolts as well).  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:47:55 AM by EvonAschwege »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »
Maybe I'm making it up, but the colonial Davis I casehardened is MUCH faster once casehardened. Maybe we need to do a mythbuster, like with Pletch's high speed videos, A speed trial movie with 'before and after' casehardening.

Pletch, how do like me volunteering you for ANOTHER project?  :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
I did a case hardening job like that on a frizzen off a India made musket lock and it actually worked.  Used the stuf the junk into a tin can and toss it in the campfire method. 

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:30:34 AM »
Plain charcoal, actually made from trees not the pitch-coke stuff you burn in the barbeque, works.

But adding some stuff, like bone charcoal makes the process go faster.

By adding some bone charcoal one may get case colors. Pretty.

Leather does nothing for pretty.
But leather can nitride the surface a bit.
Huh?
Make it harder on the very surface, better for sliding wear. If you like slick, a little leather tends to help.

P.I.T.A. Metallurgist