Author Topic: gunflints  (Read 3884 times)

ramrod

gunflints
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:19:04 AM »
anybody know if rich pierce is napping gun flints now?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: gunflints
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:37 AM »
It's my understanding he is not knapping flints any longer.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:52:27 AM »
Sadly..NO! :(
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:14:12 AM »
 Yea, I asked him the same question awhile back. I reckon I'm lucky cause I still have a dozen of his flints left. The one I have on my rifle has lasted at least 50 shots so far a still going strong!.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »
Rich sent me an email response just last week that he was no longer offering his flints for sale. 
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 03:36:35 AM »
It's a fact.  I retired last spring.  I was spending 15 hrs a week at it and could not keep up.  Other duties increased and it just became a losing proposition.  If I get forcibly retired from my regular job I will probably take it up again. 
Andover, Vermont

William Worth

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
Rich, would you consider maybe selling the raw material for knap it yourself'ers? ::)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
Collecting the raw material was easily half the work. Combing stream beds for fist sized rocks.  The chert material around here is not the same large nodule, easy to knap stuff as the best flint and is also quite tough and inconsistent.  I would strike spells or blades in the stream to save weight as more than 75% of the material was waste.

I did consider purchasing tons of rock from Arkansas but this was meant to be a fun hobby or pastime that just paid for my longrifle related expenses. Turning to production would have to wait for regiment or job loss.  But anyone wanting to do their own like mine should look for Burlington chert, which is what the chert around here is classified as.
Andover, Vermont