Author Topic: Nifty Shooting Tool (I think)  (Read 19074 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Nifty Shooting Tool (I think)
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »
Perhaps it’s just me and that I’m a clutz.  Perhaps it’s bad luck at an inopportune time – like the day I was distracted loading and shouldered the rifle without taking the ram rod out of the bore.   The recoil knocked me for a loop and I never did find the ram rod.  There are just those days afield when things go wrong and, if you don’t have the right items in your pouch or pocket, the day is going to be a waste.  Load a ball without powder, end up with a dull flint or a fouled vent, loose a cleaning patch down the bore, break a ram rod trying to use a ball puller, the possibilities for malfunction are many.

So, to be prepared for any and all eventualities, I always went out with the usual bag of “tools” which were perpetually adrift in some pocket, pouch, haversack, or patch box.  Some of them were sharp and poked holes in everything else.  Some were just small and easy to loose.  After thinking about it for a while, I decided to combine anything and everything I might reasonably need into one tool small enough to be carried in a pocket and, when fully assembled, designed to prevent the loss of much smaller, separate components.

Obviously, when you look at this tool, it is not period correct, but then neither is the fact that I drive myself in a truck to where I shoot.  Nonetheless, I tried to design it to be as “traditional” as possible in look and material.  It is all brass and I used an old fashioned knurl design in rings around the body to make it easier to use but not looking like I picked it up at an auto parts store.   I have seen some 18th and early 19th century European shooting tools that provide some of the features I tried to include here, just not all of them.

This tool combines ten features into a single unit.  It includes; a "T" handle, a vent pick, a jag, a knapping hammer, a screw driver, a ball drill, a ball puller, a bore adapter, a ram rod adapter, and a worm.  The functions the tool can perform include; clearing a vent, sharpening a flint, drilling a projectile to be removed, pulling a projectile to be removed, cleaning the bore, capturing and clearing a bore obstruction, providing a more positive grip on the ram rod for various operations, and removing, servicing, replacing a flint, a lock, or any other mechanical parts of the firearm retained by a screw.  All of the individual parts of the tool are designed with common threaded interfaces so that they may be disassembled and reassembled in the many different required configurations.

Some functions of the tool require it to be, at least, partially disassembled and, in some instances, reassembled in a different arrangement to perform a particular function.  Many of these additional functions require the components of this tool to be used in conjunction with and attached to the firearm's ram rod.   My ram rods are all now configured with a 10-32 female thread on both ends for this purpose.

I went through several iterations to get to the one I like best.  But, unless I need to forge a new mainspring or fresh out the rifling (or unless I just bloody well shoot my ram rod away), this tool has kept me from being stuck with a non functional muzzle loader.

The first versions:

The latest version:

Top end - "T" handle, vent pick (and knapping hammer), jag, ball puller, and screw driver

Mid section:  ball drill, and bore adapter

End section:  ram rod adapter and worm

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:12:28 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

S.Willis

Re: Nifty Shooting Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »
Wow, Looks like you have it covered. very nice

Trkdriver99

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
That has it covered. Looks real nice too.
Ronnie

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
Wow Dave.  That is way cool.  From the work I have seen you post, you are one with the lathe.  As a tool and die maker apprentice graduate I can really appreciate your work.  I have been in management so long that much of my toolmaker knowledge has diminished.  Nice!
DMR

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
That is a very nice combo tool.  Are you going to make them for sale?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
 That is really neat Dave, great idea and nice job.

Tim C.

Berks Liberty

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »
That is more than a nifty tool that is like your version of the swiss army knife.  That is way to cool!  You should market that thing!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 02:19:28 AM »
Thanks for the comments - I am also looking for critique. 

I have patented the design and am talking drawings to a friend, who owns a machine shop, about producing them in quantity.  As you might guess from looking at the pictures, making them one at a time is very labor intensive.  My friend has several automatic screw machines that can produce the parts perfectly, much faster, and cost effectively.

The tool pictured will fit down the bore of a .45 caliber barrel.  The jags and bore adapters can be changed out so that the same tool can be used on any gun from .45 to .75 caliber.  I am woking on another design that will handle .32 to .45 (it will take a different tool body diameter).

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Nifty Shooting Tool (I think)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:56 AM »
Dave,   Two suggestions for your consideration.  First suggestion is to figure out how to make the vent pick quicker and easier to use with one hand.  Is it possible to secure it with a detent ball or even a small pair of magnets surrounding the pick instead of the threaded screw.   Idea is to make it easy to pull with one hand?   Second suggestion  is it appears the tool is pretty beefy and that means weight.  Is it possible the screw length joining the sections together can be shortened so the female sections can be shorter as well to reduce weight as much as possible? 

As said above, just for consideration.  The tool is certainly well thought out for utility. 

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 06:50:42 AM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the comments.  I'll work on the one handed vent pick - I have an idea for that.  On the weight issue, I will see how much weight it will save to shorten the threaded sections.  The tool weighs about 100 grams - right about 3 and a half ounces.  For me, it is not bad as is, weight wise, since it replaces several loose tools I used to carry (jag, worm, ball puller, screw driver, etc.)  In fact, it weighs a fair amount less than all the individual tools.  However, I would like to make it as light as possible without making it wimpy.  If you don't want to bother with a ball drill, that entire section can be left out of the tool and the other parts screwed together.  For me, the ball drill has really come in handy, so I don't mind carrying the extra 3/4 ounce of tool.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

DC
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
And here I thought that everything possible has already been done!!  I think also you should market this item, if not too costly to produce.

Plenty of shooters would e interested if only to have something 'different' and very usefull!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 05:29:58 AM »
Dave,

Most of us know what you you mean by adrift at the bottom of the bag.  I don't know how many times I've caught a finger on the flipping worm digging out a cleaning patch!  That's a pretty nifty tool...and I wouldn't be that concerned about the weight.  Most of the fellows I hunt with carry most of the attachments you mentioned as well as a ramrod puller in the back of their bags.  If certainly can't weigh more than those. 

I hope they're reasonable to produce and you market them.  I'll take two.

Dan
Dan Akers

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:51:07 AM »
Dan, Roger:

With every new ML catalog or magazine I have received over the years, I have anxiously looked for new products.  But what I was looking for was very specific in that I wanted traditionally styled, well made parts, tools, and accouterments but also something new.  I suppose that this was a bit unreasonable since we all enjoy a hobby centered around weapons and gear that was the cutting edge of technology 200 + years ago.  Nonetheless, I never find as many new things as I would like.  So, over the years, I have made many of the items I was looking for or that occurred to me along the way.  Some of them were easy to devise and make, others took a fair amount of time and thought.  This shooting tool was one of them.

I have received several e-mails about this thing and have been asked to show how some of the features of the tool are used.  The first photo shows the "T" handle installed on one end of the ram rod.  It has been the best and most useful addition.  You can put it on the rod when you need it and put it back in your pocket when you don't.  And I tried to design it to be in keeping with the rest of a nice rifle.  With cold hands or a rod slippery with patch lube, it makes pulling and pushing the rod a lot easier - especially trying to pull a ball.  The vent pick is inside one leg of the "T" and, when not installed on the ram rod, the entire tool can be used like a hammer (very lightly) to knapp the edge of a flint.  The end of the vent pick handle forms the face of the knapping hammer.  The screw driver blade is permanently attached to the end of the "T" handle and the jag is stored on the opposite leg.

On the other end of the rod, various pieces are assembled as follows:  To pull a ball, I use a ball drill first.  This may seem like an unnecessary step to some, but wooden ram rods are not very stout in torsion.  I have broken three (one a 5/16" and two 3/8") trying to drive a ball puller screw directly into solid lead.  So, I added a ball drill - it takes very little torque to drill the ball with a few twists of the rod and the "T" handle is a huge help.  The bore adapter (the little rounded collar) keeps the drill centered in the bore.

After a few twists with the drill, the rod is withdrawn and the ball drill unscrewed from the body of the tool.  This exposes the ball puller which can be twisted into the drilled ball with a lot less torque.  The added step and 20 grams of ball drill weight are well worth not ruining a day in the field by twisting a rod into jagged pieces.

The jag and the worm can be installed where the ball drill and puller were on the end of the ram rod adapter any time they are needed.  These photos show the bore adapter still in place, but it is not needed when using either the jag or the worm.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:13:10 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

El Mac

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »
I want!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
El Mac,

I am just about ready to have a sizable batch of these completed.  I will put out a note when they are ready.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

El Mac

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
Excellent! 

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Nifty Shooting Tool (I think) ...I need some opinions.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »
As noted in the last couple of posts here, I am almost ready to offer a few of these tools for sale.  However, two of the parts of the "Gunner's Mate" need to be tailored to the caliber of the gun the tool will be used with.  They are the bore adapter and the jag.  The parts are easily interchangeable, so you can have one tool and a few different jags / bore adapters, but I would like to get some opinions about the most common calibers you are all using out there so I can make up the right parts to begin with.  At present, the tools I am making are only sized for .45 or larger, but I am working on another model that will cover .32 to .45.  Meanwhile, I would like to solicit any opinions you all might have about your preferences for caliber.  Thanks.

Dave C
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:39:04 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Ionian

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
Any idea as to the cost yet? I would be interested in one.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »
Nick,

I have been spending a lot of time building tooling so that I can minimize the cost (part of why I have been messing around with this project for over a year !) but I don't have a price just yet.  I will post all the pertinent information as soon as I can get this all sorted out.  Do you have a preference for caliber?

Thanks for the interest.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

omark

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »
just for survey purposes, i am shooting 40 & 62 right now but may go to a 54 also.  mark

tuffy

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
.50 & .62 here. These are going to reduce the weight in my bag. I can hardly wait!!!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »
Sizes? My inventory is: .40, .50, .54, & .62. There's a .25 too, but that's not likely very common, huh? ::)

I'd bet that if you added .32, .36, .45, & .58 you'd cover the range nicely.

I'm still watching this... ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline horseman

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »
  Dave,

Very impressive!  I'd be proud to have one in my bag!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 01:40:50 AM »
I've got four .50's and a .54 I got in a trade.  I guess I'm partial to 50's.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 04:03:24 AM »
Dave,

.45, just like your original design.  Looking forward to the finished product.

Bill