Author Topic: Nifty Shooting Tool (I think)  (Read 19075 times)

projeeper

Re: Nifty Shooting Tool (I think)
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 04:07:38 AM »
a 45 for me also

Offline sonny

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »
heck...if not too expensive i would take 2.It would be nice if the caliber spacer was correct for 50cal/54cal an not 45cal for all bores.I think the correct spacer size would put the drill correct for diff cal....sonny

exTNer

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
I'd be interested in the .45 version, and .50 or .54 attachments.  Of course if I wind up with two different bags, I may need one for each bag! 
Your first batch may be sold out before production starts! ;D

I'll make sure to hide it from all the in-line shooters at the range!!  I'll tell them that brass won't handle the abuse of a 2lb. sledge!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
Sony,

You would only need one tool with a spare set of the jag and bore adapter for any other caliber.  It just takes a few seconds to change them out.  For a .45 caliber barrel, you don't need the bore adapter at all as the body of the tool is the right size as is.  You would just need a .45 jag.  To change over to a .50 or .54 (or whatever) you would unscrew the tool and put in the bore adapter for that caliber and then replace the jag with one of the correct caliber.  Simple.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
Thanks Dave, it looks like a great tool .I sure want one when they are ready.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »
You mentioned 10/32 studs.  Here I am with all my jag etc studs being  8 / 32 in steel of course.  Another option for you?  I see a heck of a lot of 8 x 32's out there!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
Roger, 

This tool requires a female 10-32 thread on both ends of a ramrod to use it with the "T" handle and the rest of the gear on the business end of the rod.  Most of my existing ram rods had 8-32 female threads on them when I made the first of these tools,  but I used the 10-32 on the tool for strength.  I just ran a drill and a tap into all my 8-32 ram rod ends and converted them all to 10-32.  Since the tools are made of brass, and there is a fair amount of torsion applied when running a ball puller into a ball, I didn't want to go as small as an 8-32.  I am sure some shooters won't want to convert to a 10-32 thread and I have had others that don't like the tool because they don't want to put a female thread in their ramrod at all (as not being period correct).  For those that don't want to put female threads in their ram rod ends, this tool is fairly useless.  If you have an 8-32 thread converting over to a 10-32 is not much of a problem or, as I have with one of my rifles, I made a spare ram rod with the correct threads when I go out into the field.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 05:06:32 PM »
I've been patient so far....................are they ready yet?
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline sonny

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
davec2...........sweet!!!!..........i would take a couple when you get them.I think you should quit your day job an go full speed ahead!...ha ha ha.....got my check book ready!........sign me up.......sonny

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
Hello Dave,

I will be set up at the CCMM show in March with two tables.  If you get a finished version done, I would be glad to display it there and at the Oregon Gun Makers Fair.

Ron Scott

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 11:19:11 PM »
Thanks to all.  I am working on them now and will get back to all of you who are interested soon.  Ron, I will take you up on your offer.  I will send you an e-mail.  By the way, did you ever engrave the depth gages?  I would love to see pictures if you did.

Thanks again.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
For those interested, I completed a large batch of these tools and have posted them in the "for sale" section under "Gunner's Mate".

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9796.0

Thanks

Dave C
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:26:20 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

ole baldy

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

Dave,  great  tool  nice  work  the  only  other  thing  I  would  need  is  a  pin  like  the  end  of  a  nail  set  some  of  my cock  screws  have  a  hole  in  them,  so  I  use  a  doctored  up  nail  set  to  tigthen  down  the  flint,-----My   cals.  are  36--45--50--56--58--62  and  a  4  bore,   I  guess  we  take  out  the  56  &  4  bore  and  two  sizes  will  cover  all  the  rest,  ----AM  looking  forward  to  purchasing  two  as  soon  as  possible,---  EXCELLENT  TOOL  KEEP  UP  THE  GOOD  WORK  ---  Fred

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »
Fred,

I can make a jag / adapter set in .56 caliber.  I also have a 4 bore blunderbuss and have made a jag for it as well as a 1 inch diameter worm.  I just don't hang the 4 bore jag on the end of the "T" handle of the tool  or mount the worm on it.  But I do use the same tool as a screw driver, knapping hammer, vent pick, etc.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 06:02:55 AM »
As every one has said, cool, neat, inovative.  Period corect, I dont care, the world wide web is sacrilegious for flintlock shooters too and here we are. I would like one too and if you could make them with steel instead of brass 10x32 it would be even better.  Flintlocks Forever.              Gary

msw

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
neat looking tool ... gotta get one (actually several, one for each calibre).

Offline sonny

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 04:40:16 AM »
dave.....just like rodger said ,all my rifles are 8/32...I hate to buy such a dandy tool an need thread adapters to make work....I know....i guess??? that converting a 8/32 into a 10/32 is no big deal.....geez i really didn't want to make all new rods ,to get your swiss army cleaning tool to work.I wish you could make some up in 8/32 an see if they sell..........sonny

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
Sonny,

Sorry for the delay in answering your post.  I understand the situation for those who have 8-32 rod end threads, but, as I noted, it took me all of 10 minutes to convert all my rods.  For all the loose 8-32 tools I have, I bought a couple of adapters.  Since all the tools were loose anyway, having a couple more loose parts for them is no big deal. 

All the tools I have made up are 10-32 for strength.  In my testing, I managed to twist off some of the brass 8-32 ends trying to pull large caliber (and one small caliber) ball.  I have never had the issue with the 10-32 thread and I don't want to make a great tool that will break on someone in the field.  Sorry about the situation, but I won't be making any of these larger caliber tools with an 8-32 thread.  The second version, for .32 to .40, will have 8-32 threads because it has to have to fit the diameter of the tool.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

The other DWS

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
Dave, any consideration for the larger bore flint/fowler crowd?  I've got a cousin who is building a 12g chambers fowler adnd I'm thinking ahead toward next Christmas

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 06:04:43 AM »
The Other DWS,

I just finished making a tool with .75 caliber jag and bore adapter sets, so 12 gage is not a problem.  I have 11 tools left in the first batch of 40.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:33:29 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780