Author Topic: Italian made Richland Arms .50 cal assistance needed  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Italian made Richland Arms .50 cal assistance needed
« on: July 12, 2013, 04:57:49 AM »
Neighbor inherited above rifle.  Lock is not functional and I have not had time to pull it as I left the morning after he brought it over on a long trip.  Any judgement on this firearm and particularly the lock?  He doesn't have much money and would like to be able to shoot it so I will have to make it operational.  Doesn't look like it is worth the price of a new lock so any experience or cache of parts would be of interest.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: Italian made Richland Arms .50 cal assistance needed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »
I bought a kit back in 1978 of the so called Michigan rifle from Richland arms.  It took me a long time to get the lock to throw sparks.  I did at last get it to throw sparks reliable but soon bought a Lyman and sold the Richland.  I can't see it as of any worth.  If your friend wants to shoot it and you can make it work, he can play with it.  But he would have better experience with a better gonne.  I understand about being poor.
Volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:44:11 AM »
 As much as I hate to say it, sometimes the best fix for a cheap flinter is to convert it to percussion. I just did an old Dixie York rifle that had a flintlock that would never be any good. I did a dirty frontier style conversion with a drum and nipple, and converted flint hammer. I plugged the extra holes with copper wire. It shoots good, and if you like frontier conversions, and repairs, it looks good. This gun can be photographed in a camp venue, and not attract any undue attention.

Hungry Horse

Dogshirt

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »
I'd have to ask what you mean by not functioning.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
  I agree with Hungry Horse. It is going to be a hassle as a flint gun. And it just isn't worth putting a lot of time or money into.
                                 Dan

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »
Thanks guys, can't accurately answer what all is wrong with the lock as I only had about 5 minutes to examine the thing before I had to leave.  The primary concern at that moment was to make sure there wasn't a load in the barrel so it would be safe with the owner until I returned.  I will dismantle the gun when I return home in a month and see what all is wrong in detail.  My evaluation was it would not justify the price of a retrofit lock.  Main spring was clearly very weak or partially blocked by something and the frizzen spring was very mushy too.  Pulled a lot of gunk out of the barrel but no time to clean and get a light down there or remove the breech block to look through.  The owner is such a great neighbor I may just train him on one of my guns and if he still wants to pursue the hobby perhaps I can find him a decent gun.  His interest in shooting in the past has been minimal so his current interest may be fleeting.