Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunmaker: Samuel Morrison Backaction-mule ear  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum Gunmaker: Samuel Morrison Backaction-mule ear
« on: January 11, 2009, 06:24:09 AM »
Two Morrison guns are now on display in the Museum below. The second added gun is shown first as it is signed. The pictures detail  what seems to be an unusual lock mechanism: "backaction mule ear". Post your comments here

Online T*O*F

Re: ALR Museum Gunmaker: Samuel Morrison Backaction-mule ear
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:59 PM »
The pictures detail  what seems to be an unusual lock mechanism:

I see that part of the mechanism inside is marked Pat'd.  Would that indicate that the lock was commercially produced from castings or drop forgings?
And did Morrison or someone else hold the patent on it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:10 AM »
It is the side of the hammer that is stamped "PATENTED". I'd love to know whether the patent was Morrison's or some else's.

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:26:13 AM »
As you might tell from earlier posts, I am a fan of the "typical" Morrison sidelock mechanism, which I suspect was built by Morrison or a blacksmith in the region (these same sidelocks show up on other Upper Susquehanna guns).  This back action sidelock is really interesting, too.  The internal main spring is very similar to its external counterpart on the Morrison attributed rifle in the Library.  The patent is interesting and I will see if I can find anything in the federal records to confirm that this is a Morrison patent.  I only know of one maker with a patent in the Upper Susquehanna (Federick Beerstecher of Lewisburg patented his super(im)posed lock mechanism)

As far as this being a Pennsylvania or Illinois gun, the patchbox is definitely a style that he used in Milton, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, as it is the most common patchbox design of his competitor, William Filman, who also worked in Milton.  Of course, Morrison could have taken this patchbox style to Illinois, but I will leave that to Curt.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 04:05:21 AM »
Most makers who "went west" seem to have pretty much continued making rifles in the same style they were accustomed to. There were a number of other Pennsylvania makers who ended up in Illinois and Iowa, and this seems to be the case with nearly all of them.

brobb

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:41 AM »
Hi everyone

I don't see how the laterel sear on this lock can be tripped by the double set triggers.  What am I not seeing?

Bruce

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
An astute observation. This sear must be pushed back in order to fire this rifle. This is accomplished by a non-typical set of triggers. The rear trigger is extra tall, with a deep "half-moon" filed down from the top, forming a hook of sorts. It is this hook that engages the sear and pulls it back.

brobb

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 03:29:52 AM »
 Got it.  Thanks

Bruce