General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

16 ga. smoothbore?

(1/3) > >>

chuck-ia:
I just bought a 16 ga. 38" C profile colerain barrel. I was thinking about having it jug choked, but am starting to change my mind. Question is, could I possibly improve a pattern by coning the muzzle? I have heard about the wads pushing through the shot leaving a donut shaped pattern, would this coning help to move the pressure away from the wads? thanks, chuck-ia

Jerry V Lape:
The doughnut hole thing is a load development issue, not a coning issue.  If you want to improve patterns after proper load development the jug choke is a well proven way to achieve increased choke effect.  No one shooting modern shotguns are concerned with coning and the vented barrels are not there for that effect either.  The vents are a misguided effort to reduce recoil and muzzle jump.  They are more a noise nuisance than anything in shotguns.  Pressures in shotguns are too low to get much effect from them.  Modern rifle venting is effective due to greater remaining pressure at the muzzle allowing the vents to have sufficient force to function. 

Daryl:
I'd try it the way it is, Chuck.  Try the normal wad structure with several powder charges first. This is the way we found an effective load in Taylor's 15 bore Manton.  If that fails next testing would be with multuple thin wads between the powder than shot, with different loads of powder. You should find a load with 3 drams or less, double or triple and 1oz. shot.  I'd even drop down to 2 1/4 drams, both 3F and 2F with the the same 1oz. shot load & drop the shot load to about 3/4oz. lowest.

So - you have powder shrags from 60gr. to 82gr. - both 2F and 3f, as well as shot loads of 3/4oz., 7/8oz., and 1oz. along with multiple wad conbinatons. That should keep you busy for a few range sessions.

chuck-ia:
Thanks,I will leave well enough alone. I probably won't get started on this gun till early summer, (have to finish my gillispie rifle first) just getting things lined up. I want to build a light weight hunting gun, maybe a north west trade gun, haven't decided yet. This barrel does seem to be on the light side, which is what I wanted, I will have to do some research on the stock construction so I don't build a gun that smacks me in the cheek bone. I had a Pedersoli double barrel 12 ga. that would leave a lump on my cheek after shooting it. I still like the idea of a cyl. bore gun which will shoot shot or round ball. chuck-ia

northmn:
A couple of thoughts for my 2 cents worth.  A NW gun was until later years a 24 gauge.  Any of the ones worth reproducing were.  The barrel was Oct-round.  If building a fairly authentic weapon is your thing that would not be one.  There is very little more hassle in building a plain fowler.  Some of the early muskets around the Revolutionary war were pretty plain and would be easier building than some of the nicer fowlers you see.  You could get by with a plainer buttplate to inlet and no entry thimble if you chose.   I still like the fowlers.  Had the Pedersoli, Navy Arms, whoever doubles that kicked me in the cheek horribly.  I was told they were patterned after English guns made for overhead shooting.  Whether true or whether they just want to chintz on wood I do not know.

DP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version