Author Topic: Chits for prizes.  (Read 7394 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Chits for prizes.
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:08:37 AM »
Had our annual meeting today and no fist fights - thats a good thing ;)

We had a short discussion on how chits (certificates) for a free ride would work out.

By this I mean draw up a simple certificate i.e for 3rd place in a reentry target value around 7 or 8 dollars.  The placer would be 'awarded ' this chit for say 7 free $1. targets at a future shoot.  The simplicity of this idea is obvious and the 'placer' gets something he can use.

Have any of you out there tried this idea at your club and how did it work out?

Any body complain ?

So easy for a 'cheapskate' to copy a certificate and get more than he is due; but then again he always takes a chance on being tarred and feathered!!!  I don't really think any of 'our' folks would try that! ???  But, trust no one!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:44:47 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline markwi

Re: Chits for prizes.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 03:25:30 AM »
I never heard of anyone doing that , but it sounds like a good idea to me. I think I will bring up at one of our meeting to see what they think about it. Mark

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:26:05 AM »
Sounds feasible, Roger, but answer this - when setting up a shoot, do you have double prizes for every match - one set of 3 prizes for 1st shot scores and 1 set of 3 prises for re-entry scores?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
Sounds feasible, Roger, but answer this - when setting up a shoot, do you have double prizes for every match - one set of 3 prizes for 1st shot scores and 1 set of 3 prises for re-entry scores?
No!

Our one day shoots include 9 matches from smoothbore, offhand rifle, chunk, and a silohuette & primative agg.  the Agg usually is 12 shots plus a tiebreaker and that agg is one and done....!  The rest of the matches are all reentry meaning your best target for the day is the one counted.    I know, I know, this way the more you shoot (and buy targets) the better your chances,.,,!  It works for us!   A paper agg is doable and done at other clubs which is one and done and non reentry.    We pay 3 places in each match. The agg we sometimes go to 4th or 5th place depending on the number of shooters,.!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:16:40 PM »
Not a bad idea Roger...

Our club hasn't tried anything like this (as yet) simply because our members are in agreement that we shoot for the enjoyment of it once a month and once prizes enter into the equation (as it has in the past) folks simply don't show up because they know only a few will be in contention for those prizes.  Where I live the shooter's don't have much confidence in their ability - yet they are some of the best shooters I've see???

Now at Rendezvous it's a different story.  Lots of competition, lots of "Trader Bucks" up for grabs.  The idea of "Trader Bucks" is that the winners will spend those certificates in camp at the Trade Tents, yet there are some that prefer to cash them in.  It was thought that "Trader Bucks" would help the vendors and make coming to Chadron Fur Trade Days a proffitable venture, but unfortunately it really hasn't.  Now I'm not bragging but when I win "Trader Bucks" I spend them in camp for this very reason to help support the Traders who come.  Sadly we have less and less Traders every year.....

I like your club's idea, and I'm sure it will work out for all of you.  You have the bodies for competition, we don't...  Good luck! :)

Jim Thomas

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »
We are tossing around the idea of holding a 22 shoot  in the hope of attracting newbies to the club.   This type of prize would seem ideal.   

Whether our club has tried it in the past, I can't say.   

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »
We are tossing around the idea of holding a 22 shoot  in the hope of attracting newbies to the club.   This type of prize would seem ideal.   

Whether our club has tried it in the past, I can't say.   

We have a club down here that went to .22 shoots (and block shoots) to survive financially!  It seems there are shooters that are 'in' to .22 rifles; but generally they want to sit at a bench with monster sized scopes.  They can shoot and take the middle out of a pea sized 10 ring at 50 yds....!  It does develop in to an arms race with the shooter willing to spend the $ for high quality piece and scope doing most of the winning!  Does not seem to work that way in our game (ML) most times the plain jane rifle does the winning.  And the fancy rifles are the wallflowers.   IMHO only ;)  They shoot for meat prizes mostly!

long carabine

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:44 AM »
 Our club gives out trade beads for all of the shooters with the 1st place winner getting his money back for the days entry fee. Athe end of the year the top scorer gets a trophy that has been in our club for years. This year a friend of mine won the trophy.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
I don't shoot blanket shoots because there's usually mostly 'chit' for prizes.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
Why is that? And how many frying pans do you really need?

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »
rodger............give them copies of antique coins.one coin one target.If they keep coins can redeem them for club stuff......sonny

Jim Thomas

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »

The famous words of Paul Revere  as he rode up to a house.....wahoooo!  

I thought the Canadian contingent shot for the fun and not the value of prizes?   :o    Can I introduce you to the blanket shoot dump...eBay     ;D  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:24:26 PM by Jim Thomas »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »
I thought it was abt time someone pointed 'that' out ;) ;D

Serious, many shooters will not travel in to a blanket shoot.  Exception seems to be the winter w walks where the turnout is very good in spite of them being blanket shoots.... it does break up the winter....doldrums!

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »

Our rondy here is also a blanket shoot. Prizes brought for the shoot include handmade tables and chairs, handmade powder horns, glass lanterns, hurricane lamps and other accoutrements. There are the odd lower valued prizes, but few. Same at the one held at Hefley Creek rondy - excellent prizes in the norm.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:29:11 PM »
I thought the Canadian contingent shot for the fun and not the value of prizes?   :

That's actually true. Problem with blanket shoots is that you end up haveing to take SOMETHING home and I have enough $#@* to pack without adding more. I usually just shoot the trail with some freinds but don't actually enter. There ARE exceptions. The last time i entered a blanket shoot, I was relaxing in my camp when Doug Miller walked by with a hand forged fire poker he had made. I asked what was up with the poker and he said it was his entry prize for the blanket shoot. HOT @!*%, I was scurrying around my shooting box to find a suitable prize 'cause I WANTED THAT POKER!. Not everyone enters trash.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »
We use to hold blanket shoots quite a bit with a $10.00 minimum value, or there abouts.  It got to the point where several people would just put down a $10.00 bill instead of bringing something of relevant.  The last one I attended (years ago) I put a pound of 3fg Goex on the blanket, another feller put down some Hornady round balls, another put a nice little patch knife on the blanket, and the reamain folks (of which there was about 7 to 9,,, each put down a $10.00 dollar bill,,, well one did put down 8 quarters, 3 one's, and a five spot...  That pretty much ended blanket shoots for us.  We now just shoot for bragging rights at our local monthly gatherings.  Putting the money down just ruined it IMHO.

Not to brag about that day, but I did come in first and had first dibs off the prize blanket.  I picked up my 3fg Goex to the dismay of many.  I simply laughed and said that I had a couple $10.00 bills already...

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
We use to hold blanket shoots quite a bit with a $10.00 minimum value, or there abouts.  It got to the point where several people would just put down a $10.00 bill instead of bringing something of relevant.  The last one I attended (years ago) I put a pound of 3fg Goex on the blanket, another feller put down some Hornady round balls, another put a nice little patch knife on the blanket, and the reamain folks (of which there was about 7 to 9,,, each put down a $10.00 dollar bill,,, well one did put down 8 quarters, 3 one's, and a five spot...  That pretty much ended blanket shoots for us.  We now just shoot for bragging rights at our local monthly gatherings.  Putting the money down just ruined it IMHO.

Not to brag about that day, but I did come in first and had first dibs off the prize blanket.  I picked up my 3fg Goex to the dismay of many.  I simply laughed and said that I had a couple $10.00 bills already...
The cash appears here also but not often.  Haven't heard any complaints about that (yet)X!   The way things are lately many shooters would pick up that $10. before some of the other 'options'!~ ;)   Getting to wander away from the subject question: Any clubs out there use the described 'chits' as say 3 place prizes ???  How does it play out?

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 01:41:17 AM »
Our blanket shoots are for prizes of a minimum value - not cash, although one shooter, new to the sport and spur of the moment entry, put down a 20 dollar bill.