Author Topic: Blog--Ric Lambert  (Read 8131 times)

Offline Kermit

Blog--Ric Lambert
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
Very nicely done, well photographed, and absolutely not one word in any language. It's eye candy without an informative description. Oh well, at least we get to look--and wonder.

I guess 40 photos are supposed to be worth 40,000 words.

Beautiful, Ric, wherever you are!

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/07/ric-lambert.html

(Link added by moderator.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:06:44 PM by Ky-Flinter »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Blog--Ric Lambert
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
Really nice clean build with cool little details.  Obviously the work of a maker who knows architecture.
Andover, Vermont

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »
You might know Ric more for his outstanding photography  - he does most of the photography you see in "American Tradition" as well as numerous other magazines.  He has built a number of rifles and does nice work.

Guy

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »
Both disciplines require a good eye but gun making requires good hands too!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 01:54:32 AM »
I think it is exceptionally nice, myself.   It is not overworked yet all the engraving and incised carving is clean and crisp.    It is nearly perfectly aged.  It looks like an original rifle.   I am jealous. :D

Offline art riser

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 02:03:57 AM »
Kirmit... Sometimes we have information about a particular item and sometimes not. Posting new pieces 365 days a year is quite a chore in itself and I am sorry if the information is not adequate.

Offline JDK

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:34:57 AM »
Please, Mr. Riser, you owe none of us an apology.  You do us a great service with your site....in more ways than one.

Keep up the great work.  Enjoy, J.D.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:03:23 AM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 04:20:32 AM »
Very well executed clean lines on this rifle. Nice job and as always thanks Art, Jan and Bob for taking the time to post these images for us. You provide a lot of pleasure to all of us with very little reward.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:14 AM »
Please, Mr. Riser, you own none of us an apology.  You do us a great service with your site....in more ways than one.

Keep up the great work.  Enjoy, J.D.

Agree totally! I was just hoping someone might have some information to share. It sometimes happens here!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
Jan and Art do a tremendous job on their site.  They post what the artist sends them.  If you want more information you can always ask questions on their blog and you will almost always get an answer from the person who submitted the photos.  It is extremely simple to post a question on that blog even using the anonymous feature. Give it a try.
Their blog is one of the first sites I visit everyday.
kind regards, heinz

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
Ken - I thought that gun would look familiar to you...we have seen it's sister......  ;)

Ric does have a good eye for architecture and I really love that hardware - I think Jack Brooks is reproducing that hardware if I am not mistaken.  Very graceful looking guard for a single trigger rifle - it has a similar vibe as the Klette rifle with that long curved grip rail and small bow.

Guy

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
Ok, I have read all the rave reviews here and I had to go back last night to the blog and review the 40 photos again, to be sure that I didn't look at something wrong the first time.  I agree that this is a nice rifle and I too like the look of it, but why is it that no one has mentioned the large chip of wood that is about to pop out on the top back end of the lock mortise (see picture #8 if my memory serves me correctly) and the gap with ragged edges in the lock mortise at that juncture?  I know I have bad eyes, but I think that is what I see.  Not being critical, but even in my inexperienced world of building, I would have corrected this before I shot pictures of it.  If I am mistaken, would someone set me straight--please.  And if this is just part of making it look more like an original, maybe it is a little too much, at least for my taste.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:16:12 PM by Hawken62_flint »

Offline heinz

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
Hawken62, I cannot speak for Mr Lambert, BUT, having posted on the Contemporary Makers Blog, I have been surprised by things I did not do while concentrating on taking pictures, like putting screws in all the way or getting the lock set in the inlet right.  My experience is modern builders inlet a lot tighter than the 18th century.
kind regards, heinz

Offline bgf

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
I agree with H62_flint.  It looks unfinished.  I would have knocked the chip out and put a nail there to hold the lock in, then run a rasp around the rest of the lock inlet to age it a little. 

PS. That was mostly tongue in cheek (well it is what I probably would have done, but I don't want everybody doing that kind of thing) -- a non-critical flaw in a handmade product doesn't bother me at all, plus pictures (esp. HD closeups) almost always make thing look 10x worse than they are.  There's almost always something less than perfect on blog rifles if you are looking for that kind of thing, but it rarely if ever detracts from their artistic value.  If it did, they wouldn't have had much worth to start with.

Offline art riser

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »
This rifle was built many years ago. Wood shrinks, cracks happen. In reality the inlet is fine.

Ric27

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 05:01:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone on the comments on my rifle. I made it in 99 and it has been used extensively. A real working mans weapon. I have started up my shop again after about a 10 year layoff. A lot has changed. There is so much online. It has been helpful already. 

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »
Ric,

Good to hear you are back at it. Never got one of yours so that may have to be added to my list.

Don
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
Hi Ric,

Welcome to ALR.  Please make yourself welcome and stop in often.  That's one handsome rifle!  I'm not sure how I missed it back in July.  Very nice.

For those hunting for the rifle on the blog, here's a link.....

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/07/ric-lambert.html

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie