Author Topic: side opening wood patch box (update w/pics)  (Read 7410 times)

Offline blackdog

side opening wood patch box (update w/pics)
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
So I've been thinking outside the box a bit on a wood patch box for my jaeger and I've got an idea. I want to make one side opening like the wood box rifle http://americanhistoricservices.com/html/wood_box_rifle.html or like the Stockmar down this page but with wood
http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/asset-viewer/set-of-flintlock-guns/PAGR_zuTUtMwjw?hl=en
 So just thinking out loud here, maybe a wood side opening possibly with a metal surround, carved surround inlay bone or.....? Doesn't have to be a copy I want something unique. Thoughts on this and releases?    
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:37:35 PM by blackdog »
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

pushboater

Re: side opening wood patch box
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:10:25 AM »
I'm another one who likes to think outside the box. There's a lot of beautiful contemporary rifles out there. I think I'd probably stick with a school that used side opening patchboxes, but hey, its your rifle. do what makes you happy. Why not a wooden side opening patchbox with a brass surround on a Jaeger? Sounds cool if you can pull it off. It's your rifle, have fun with it. Some of the traditionalists on here would probably be shocked because it wouldn't fall into any known category, but that's what the contemporary category is for. It kinda encompasses everything outside the box. Do your own thing, be creative, and have fun with it. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason why you should have to stick with someone else's preconceived notion of what's right and proper. Take care.

Capt. David

pushboater

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:41:19 AM »
I didn't click on your links until after I posted my reply above, but that's one beautiful Jaeger! That's the first Jaeger I've ever seen with a side opening metal patchbox, But then again, I'm not a student of Jaegers and haven't studied them too much. But that sure is one beautiful contemporary piece. Take care.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:25:40 PM »
Thanks, and I'm not to worried about the pc police.  Those are not contemporary guns or designs, made by Johann Stockmar in Suhl 1741-44.  Here's another one of his http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/arms-armor/a-very-fine-german-flintlock-fowling-piece-silver-mounted-5079557-details.aspx  If you google his name there is a few more out there too.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:27:23 PM by blackdog »
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

pushboater

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »
I just took for granted that it was a contemporary piece because I've never seen a 270 year old rifle in pristine condition. Didn't look like it had a scratch on it. Simply Beautiful!

Capt. David

Offline blackdog

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I think since they were made for royalty the probably weren't abused or maybe never used, who knows.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »
The Stockmar shop was located in Suhl and produced very fine Flintlocks.  They are exceedingly rare and very expensive.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
Expensive is right, that one on christies sold for $78,400.  That's a bit out of my league by about 77,500. :'(
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »
That's cheap compared to some America guns, which don't anywhere near the labor or skills sets in them.  :D

Oerter, Neihart, Rupp and Kuntz are wishing they'd been able to get some of that money.

Funny how the artist doesn't get the reward.  :(  It's an investor's game.

I've never seen a hinged side opening wooden box in American work. The hinged metal lid is exceedingly rare in European work, but they did exist. Some folks attribute the hinged metal lid box as an American invention. I just don't know at all. Americans surely made many versions of the metal hinged box.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:45:12 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
Seems like that first link isn't working, maybe some one else has pictures of that gun.  Its the one with the brass side open box with the wood on top.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline blackdog

Re: side opening wood patch box (update w/pics)
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
After a few tries at the hinge and mechanism this is what it turned out as.  Its really quite as simple as a metal just wood top.  I used a piece of deer antler for the button to stay with the bone/antler theme I used on the pipes and nose cap.

Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

mustangpalmer1911

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Me likey! My first build is probably going to be VERY not PC. PA rifle with tons of Celtic designs on it.

But this is beautiful I like it a lot.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:22 PM »
Very nicely done.  You've got a lot of ability.
Andover, Vermont

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
Blackdog
You have built a very nice rifle.When you first mentioned a side opening wood patch box the idea didn't seem like it would appeal to me aesthetically.I was wrong I like it!!!!

Mitch
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:37:19 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline blackdog

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Blackdog
You have built a very nice rifle.When you first mentioned a side opening wood patch box the idea didn't seem like it would appeal to me aesthetically.I was wrong I like it!!!!

Mitch
I had reservations about it too so I mocked it up before I cut into the stock.   RCA 66 has a similar feel and I like that too as well as the jaeger I linked to.  Being Germanic feeling the piece just seemed to want to be that way.  Even though it wasn't an exercise in pc it was good to get the artistic juices flowing.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta