Author Topic: Your Opinion on Hawken Barrel Length  (Read 3192 times)

oldarcher

Your Opinion on Hawken Barrel Length
« on: July 20, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »
Hi Guys, I would really appreciate your thoughts on barrel length on the next Hawken 1/2 stock that I am about to build. I recently purchased an incredibly beautiful Hawken stock fitted to a old G R Douglas 1"- .54 straight barrel, I think that this stock is close to presentation grade and I am really anxious to get started...however...the barrel is 36.5" long. It has been draw filed and fitted with a patent breech plug and has the under rib and thimbles installed. I am hesitant to cut the barrel as a lot of work has been done, and done very well.
I think that 36.5" is longer than I would usually build, I normally build around 32". The only other Hawk that I have built with a barrel this long was with a Bill Large tapered barrel and I only did that because I really wanted to leave it just as Bill made it without any change...It's really heavy and I don't want to shoot it as an offhand rifle.
I would like to hear what you think about barrel length, are you OK with the 36.5" barrel or do you think that I should cut the barrel?  ???
Thanks for your input...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:43:34 AM by oldarcher »

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Your Opinion on Hawken Barrel Length
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »
I have a half stock started that has a 33" GM 50 caliber one inch across the flats
under construction. In this case,I'd leave it as is and you said you'd not use it as
an offhand gun. It would be a great cross stick rifle.
While I'm at it,I have a lot of shop work to do that has been here too long so I am
temporarily suspending any new work until I can get these orders out of the way.
When I "See light"at the end of the tunnel,I will post again.

Bob Roller

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:26:31 AM »
 I think the early J&S Hawken 1/2 stocked rifles, had barrels in this length. Especially, if the barrel was only an inch across the flats. The short short stubby S. Hawken 1/2 stocks are mostly very late period, and over an inch across the flats.

Hungry Horse

Dogshirt

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:48:52 AM »
I'd leave it. This is right in there for a Hawken.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:56:56 AM »
Here is a link to a page with several original Hawken rifles.  A lot of the barrels are 35" to 38" in ength.  I actually like the look of the longer barrels as compared to rifle #7 with a 30" barrel.  Pictures are not that clear but you can read the dimensions.
David

http://www.thehawkenshop.com/examples.aspx

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:59:43 AM by David Rase »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:07:33 AM »
Even the late rifles often have barrels 36" or longer.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rsells

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »
I have been a Hawken freak for many years and have used straight and straight tapered barrels from 32 to 36 inches in length.  I would leave your barrel as is since it has the under rib installed.  I tend to make rifles with a 34 inch barrel.  Seems to work well for me when shooting free hand.  
                                                                            Roger Sells
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:34:39 AM by rsells »