Author Topic: New Knife  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
New Knife
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:49:11 AM »
I finally got around to putting a handle on this blade over the holidays.  I picked up the blade blank at the CLA show in Lexington last year.  I thought the maker's mark stamped in the blade was kinda cool.  I found out later that Herder has been making blades in Solingen, Germany since 1623.  The fork logo on this knife was trademarked in 1802.

The blade was sort of a clip point Bowie style when I got it.  I ground both the back and the edge profiles to look more like a colonial long rifleman's knife.  I found the antler shed where I deer hunt every fall. 

What do you think?

-Ron
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:03:41 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Longknife

Re: New Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
Ron, It looks like one of those $250. knives on the CLA website...Nice job!! Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »
Ron,
Isn't this the blade that I tried to buy then found out you had just bought it? The table was over near where Tom Patton had the "Free Born" rifle on display. I am pretty sure it is and you really made a nice looking knife from it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  

Dennis, your recollection is close.  The actual story is the fellow had 2 of these blanks and he wanted to sell them together but I talked him into selling me just 1.  The table was just outside the entrance to the "original" section near Mr Guslar's tables.  Right after we completed our deal, I saw you and some of the other ALR guys at James Levy's table, so I went over and, of course, showed off my new acquisition.  James showed us pictures of a Herder knife with that logo that was found in a 18th century shipwreck and he had made a copy of the knife using the same blank as I had.  When you heard there was a second blank, I took you to the table, but the second blank was already gone.  Couldn't have been 5 minutes.  Dennis, I just wanted to set the record straight....  can't have folks thinking I "snaked" you on a deal...  ;)

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Levy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
Ron:  Great looking knife.  It certainly didn't look like that when you showed it to me at the CLA Show.  I do remember the incident with you guys going back and trying to find the second blade without any luck.  Smokey Mtn. Knifeworks still has some in there catalog for sale.  I used one of the Herder blades to copy the knife that was recovered from the San Jose Y Las Animas which wrecked in 1733 in the Florida Keys.

James Levy 

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »
Great job on the knife!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »
Dennis, I just wanted to set the record straight....  can't have folks thinking I "snaked" you on a deal...  Wink

-Ron
Yes I remember now. Never thought you or the other guy snaked me. Just too late! Nice knife!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson